Side charging receiver

jrock

Official LRH Sponsor
LRH Sponsor
Starting into the AR world and want a non-reciprocating left side charging rifle. I don't want one of the drop in kits, like the gun fighter gear or the devil dog that still has a part sliding back along the top of the stock. Want something like the Gibbz but want to know what other brands/products are out there?

I have three of the Joe Bob Spartan side charging upper receivers. They work great for me. Especially if you run suppressed because you won't have the same amount of blowback in your face from the charging handle opening. The receivers are non-reciprocating and are priced extremely well at $225.

I have three of the Joe Bob Spartan side charging upper receivers. They work great for me. Especially if you run suppressed because you won't have the same amount of blowback in your face from the charging handle opening. The receivers are non-reciprocating and are priced extremely well at $225.
Ive nevr had issues with excess blowback from suppressed ar's --maybe thats because I run adj gas blocks? I dont run any special charge handles either

Ive nevr had issues with excess blowback from suppressed ar's --maybe thats because I run adj gas blocks? I dont run any special charge handles either
Perhaps. I also do a lot of Form 1's, so playing around with designs that don't want to work efficiently result in a lot of blow back. Either way, the side charger seals off the port so there is no place for the gas to come back and go expect for out the ejection port.

I have a couple New Frontier Armory side charger/billet lower sets SBRed. I think at least at one time the Joe Bob and Gibbz were run off by NFA, not positive though. Definitely less gassy running a can even with an adjustable gas block. Not too crazy about that ball detent that holds the charge handle, the tension is adjustable but I've found that the handle can still get bumped loose when the rifle is slung right handed over your shoulder. Somebody made one that the handle folded semi-flat but I can't remember who. American Spirit made some side chargers too, don't remember what configuration though.

Resurrection time. I am looking at building an AR15 6ARC with a side Charging handle upper. I wanted a fixed charging handle like Bear Creek offers but not sure how Great they are. Then I looked at Blackwoods Arms but can't tell if they are still in business or not after the incident. This leads me to my now top choice of the Gibbs MG4. I am looking at this one due to the forward assist if I need And the ability to run everything else normal(bolt carrier group). Any one ever have issues with a none forward assist upper not going into Battery due to cold, crud, etc...? Is there anyone out there either running a Gibbz or with any other side charge upper recommendations? Looked at JP but they are real pricey.
thanks!

I'm just getting into AR's and went with Bear Creek's side charging, Gen 3 upper w/20" heavy, stainless barrel in .223 Wylde, 1-8". I had no expectations and I really didn't know what I like, or would like, in a MSR, so this is my intro.
As far as forward assist, I may have assumed it is for "helping" get a cartridge into your chamber, that wouldn't feed on it's own. I mean with my other rifles I never force a cartridge into the chamber. Something is obviously wrong with it. I would take it out and check it later with calipers/micrometers and disassemble if needed. I understand the need for it in times of battle but I'm done with shootouts.
I like low mounted scopes on my rifles and the side charger allows for medium rings directly on the flat top, picatinny rail. it's pretty convenient and access is right there without having to reach across or lower the rifle to reach the charging handle.
I am very pleased with the accuracy I am getting from this barrel also. I liked the price point but was leery of the quality but shouldn't have worried. My first 3shot group at 100yds was sub 1/2" with 69gn SMK handloads. The only bullet it hasn't shot to 1/2" or less has been the Sierra 60gn TGK and I haven't done enough testing.
Hope this helps.

I did a lot of research and Bear Creek seem to be a sketchy at best. Some great reviews and some really bad reviews on getting what you pay for. I ordered a Ballistic Advantage 18 inch 6ARC barrel so I'm good there. I have been looking at both Precision Firearms side charge system and Eisenachs side charge uppers now. Would rather spend a bit more and not regret going cheaper. Since the BA barrel is half the cost of what I was going to get that leaves a bit more for a good upper. Trying to see How well a Maxim bolt would work in my BA barrel. The Gibbz upper is on the back burner for now because I think a bolt charged reciprocating upper fits me better and the price for them with bolt is cheaper. Going this route I wouldn't need the forward assist either. Thanks for the info.

Maybe I should clarify this they used to make one before they got bought out. There still may be some available on the market.

Resurrection time. I am looking at building an AR15 6ARC with a side Charging handle upper. I wanted a fixed charging handle like Bear Creek offers but not sure how Great they are. Then I looked at Blackwoods Arms but can't tell if they are still in business or not after the incident. This leads me to my now top choice of the Gibbs MG4. I am looking at this one due to the forward assist if I need And the ability to run everything else normal(bolt carrier group). Any one ever have issues with a none forward assist upper not going into Battery due to cold, crud, etc...? Is there anyone out there either running a Gibbz or with any other side charge upper recommendations? Looked at JP but they are real pricey.
thanks!
I built a new 6 ARC upper with the regular G4 Gibbz side charger a couple months ago for a dedicated coyote gun. It's the cat's butt.

I like it so well, I'm building another upper with a G4 on a different lower.

I see no downside to not having FA. If you need the FA to chamber a round, you better stick that one in your pocket, and chamber a different one, and/or address your die setup.

I work in a lot of adverse weather conditions and country and there are times a FA saved my butt. I ended up ordering a Precision Arms side charging upper(reciprocating). It is what I wanted all along so I went ahead and went with it. It was between them and Eisenach and Mark actually answered when I called so…. I want to be able to control the bolt so I can be as quiet as possible and with that also comes extra safety. Already have a BA 18 inch arc barrel and the upper parts from PA might be here this next week. Have to decide on a gas block but I am leaning towards Wojtek. Thanks for the ideas.

Recent Posts