Side by side shoots slugs terrible

Oldschool280

i picked up a stevens 530 in 16 gauge. The barrels criss cross each other at less than 20 yards with the slugs and i mean the right barrel is a foot left and the left barrel is a foot right. It does this with federal and remington slugs. The chokes are fixed, modified and full. Is this a choke issue? Can i have them adjusted or opened up to be able to shoot slugs and upland birds? Thanx

Last edited:
This is called barrel regulation in double rifles.... basically the barrels need spread apart to correct. I had a Steven's 311 that I used as a slug gun and got them to impact same at about 40 yards with reloads. Kinda primative, but think slower is better in your case.....side x sides don't recoil straight back, but rather towards whichever barrel is shot, so the longer the slugs in the barrel, it will pull more on to target. Heavier the slug the better as well. If you don't want to cut and spread your barrels, playing with reloads is your best option! I actually like to carry one slug, one buckshot in mine...... Good Luck, if this doesn't make since, let me know and I'll try explain it differently!

This is called barrel regulation in double rifles.... basically the barrels need spread apart to correct. I had a Steven's 311 that I used as a slug gun and got them to impact same at about 40 yards with reloads. Kinda primative, but think slower is better in your case.....side x sides don't recoil straight back, but rather towards whichever barrel is shot, so the longer the slugs in the barrel, it will pull more on to target. Heavier the slug the better as well. If you don't want to cut and spread your barrels, playing with reloads is your best option! I actually like to carry one slug, one buckshot in mine...... Good Luck, if this doesn't make since, let me know and I'll try explain it differently!
makes perfect sense, i get it . Thanx

You can have the chokes opened up or threaded for screw in's.
Doubles are never good slug guns. Get an old 870 with rifled barrel for slugs.
I have one that will clover leaf 3 shots at 100 yards. It kicks...

I used to own a side by side 12 gauge. It was a short barreled thing, not for hunting just fun, but i was always able to shoot Winchester foster slugs minute-of-cinder-block accurate out to 60 yards or so with the right barrel. The left I had no idea where it would end up and used that one for shot only.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.