side arm for wolf protection

clemens

What bare minimum caliber would anyone here recommend for protection in wolf country?? Auto/revolver. A woman will be using this handgun. She has fired as large as .44mag. Any ideas most welcome. Thanks

Any semi-auto pistol should keep wolves at bay, from .22 long rifle to .45 ACP. I believe the noise will scare them away, even with a clean miss. I trapped for years here carrying nothing more than a Ruger Mark I, .22LR semi-auto pistol. I worried about bumping into a starving bear out of hibernation in mid-winter, much more than any concern over a pack of wolves. I've finished off a few wolves that were alive in my snares. A .22LR won't drop them in their tracks - shy of a brain or spinal column hit, but I would expect any hit would turn them away from further aggression.

Are the wolves attacking humans in Idaho?

Last edited:
You didn't say what her activity will be, or if she liked the .44 magnum. ATV, snow mobile, trail runner, bike rider, pet walker, berry picker? How much weight is she willing to add to her routine.

Rathdrum means bears and cats also, we've had both here in town. Curious as to why specifically wolves?

Noise probably works, a high capacity 9mm makes a lot of noise, and in the the better ammo definitely lethal on big dogs, cats, smaller bear, and dirt balls.

Finding/asking what she likes will be best, after going to a women's class here in Spokane where she handled many semi's, my daughter has a Ruger SP101 in .22LR, her mother in law has one in .357 she really uses and likes. It fits her hand better than especially the double stack 9's. My single stack Sig is a closer fit.

I like choices that both magnum, standard, and +P choices are available, and in a style the carrier is comfortable with over caliber.

Depending on her abilities, spray can be the best choice. An entry level device that most can use, in most conditions, with a minimum of training.

Lots of choices. Only for sure is include her from the beginning.

There was a incedent this last week or so . A group if horse riders were stalked by a pack not sure of size but they made noise and such and didn't scare them away. I did not ask if F&G were notified of this. Wife is going camping end of June plus we are going next weekend. I was thinking 9mm, .40sw, 357 with 38sp or .44 with .44spls. Leaning more on lighter recoil side. Appreciate the reply.

i've heard more than one reliable story of wolves messing with a group of horses and riders.

Spend an afternoon at Cabelas, and have them show her everything. Be sure to point out a rifle or 2 for Father's day while your there.gun):D

Good Luck!

I agree with the above. Any semi auto with large capacity magazines would do well.
I personally carry either a glock 27 or a S & W MP in 40 cal. Both are compact and can spit out rounds quickly. The 40 may be a bit much for some gals but the glock is what my wife carries and she does really good with it although after about 30 rounds or so, she gets sore in the hands.

Randy

I know of a guy that had wolves come in way too close while on horse back several years ago. Most likely out of curiosity of the dog. I also know of two wolves that were killed locally this past fall that allegedly came into a hunting camp during the day.
I pack a 686 plus 357 mostly for bear, but several times I have seen wolves that disappear before a guy can skin a rifle out of a scabbard!
Just always remember that a semi auto will leave brass in the area of engagement most likely with your finger prints on them. That said I also really love my Glock 23 40sw

The 40 S+W. Is really quite a round. I know of black bears that have been cleanly killed with a few well placed shots from them. Bears in the 6 1/2' square size. I heard of a guy that killed a moose with a 40. Clean kill.
Around here we have wolves, but they keep themselves real scarce. Total target of opportunity gun). The bears here where we live tend to be small and mostly timid. Both grizzly and black bear. But cow moose are the biggest thing I worry about when my wife goes for a walk.
She currently packs a single stack 9 . LC9
I plan to upgrade here to an XD9 3" . Then an XD40. .
The brass on the ground is a problem but its better than here getting mauled.
And in Alaska women have been killed by wolves.

If any of y'all s women like to walk or run listening to an mp3 player you should destroy the thing. Those are a cause of women being too close to wild life.

Putting a light and laser on a compact combat pistol is IMO one of the best things you can do. Summer/ winter. Day/ night. As long as she has the gun on her she should be able to see and hit the threat. You can always make what ever type holster, purse, fanny pack ect that she likes.
Nice thing about a 9 is most women can shoot them well.
But what ever the gun is. Its useless if she doesn't have it on her. So it needs to be something she likes and can hit with.