side arm for wolf protection

My primary concern in wolf country is can I get off a well aimed shot before they run away.
And if there's more than one, will I be able to get a second one on the run.

I know of only one documented instance of wolves killing a human in my lifetime in the USA. A young school teacher was killed by two timber wolves near Chignik, Alaska. Poor gal went out for a walk/exercise. Never came back. Locals went searching for her. Was snow on the ground, so not to hard to find her. Two wolves had killed her. Had started feeding on her.

State of Alaska officials hunted the wolves by helicopter, and killed both animals. Took about two weeks to locate and kill them.

Could certainly be other instances of wolves attacking humans. Or killing people. Who knows what becomes of people that disappear in the wilds, and are never found. But wolves attacking people seems very very rare. I don't particularly worry about them even if I'm unarmed. But I am almost always carrying a firearm. Lotta bears and moose where I hunt and live. They do cause me concern.

Neighborhood dogs worry me more than a wolf. And several feral dogs running together in a pack concern me much more than any wolf pack.

Last edited:
Second what KyCarl said. I've lived in ID for 25 years, covered thousands of miles of the most remote trails on bike and on foot and I've never once felt threatened by any animal. I'm always cautious when returning to game meat, especially with wolves in the area, but I've never had a problem and certainly never felt threatened.

Second what KyCarl said. I've lived in ID for 25 years, covered thousands of miles of the most remote trails on bike and on foot and I've never once felt threatened by any animal. I'm always cautious when returning to game meat, especially with wolves in the area, but I've never had a problem and certainly never felt threatened.
I thought this was one of those "I need an excuse for a new gun threads", which I would never discourage. I carry most of the time for people, not animals.

I thought this was one of those "I need an excuse for a new gun threads", which I would never discourage. I carry most of the time for people, not animals.
Well, in that case, did I mention how aggressive the ground squirrels are here? Flat out dangerous, I tell ya! I heard they ran a whole family out of camp, chewed holes in everything, ate the food, and even bit the tail off the dog. I'd recommend a nice 1911 w red dot for protection from them! In all honesty, I've never felt threatened by any people either. I've come across people that want to be intimidating, but they just aren't. The whole "alpha dog wannabe" syndrome that seems to be pretty common these days is simply cover for someone who's weak and/or scared.