side arm for wolf protection

What bare minimum caliber would anyone here recommend for protection in wolf country?? Auto/revolver. A woman will be using this handgun. She has fired as large as .44mag. Any ideas most welcome. Thanks
In bear country I carried a 44 mag. But specially wolves I'd say whatever she is most comfortable/ proficient with that's high capacity. Since they hunt in packs I'd want something that she could shoot fast, accurately at multiple targets. Much like an EDC but since it wouldn't have to be concealed it could be more like a typical duty weapon. YMMV.

My wife packs a pmr30 in north idaho. If the first round doesnt scare it off. Theres 29 tries left. Super light. Accurate. And gets good penetration. I dont usualy pack anything unless i go to known grizzly areas. Kinda agree with MtMuley there. But the pmr makes my wife feel comfortable so she can worry about other things. Like finding mushrooms. :)

I have a PMR30, love everything about it, incredible handgun!

But, there exactly zero chance..........that I can get 30 rounds in that mag. I have 3 mags and 20 is pretty much the most I can get in it!

Can you really get 30 rounds in that mag?

But, there exactly zero chance..........that I can get 30 rounds in that mag. I have 3 mags and 20 is pretty much the most I can get in it!

I dont think ive ever tried. Lol.

I have a Benelli M4 tactical shotgun that would work just fine but it's a pain to lug over hill and dale.I think that my dog Bingo and a good 1911 would send them packing!
God help a wolf if Bingo gets ahold of him he's 50 pounds of dog/pig killing fury!
The bigger they are the more crazy Bing gets. A 350 pound boar can't stand the fury he unleashes on them!
HAHAHAHA now that's pretty funny right there!!!!🤣

What ever.

Attachments

• Redi-Mix.jpg
    Redi-Mix.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
0509222011_HDR~2.jpg
0508221220_HDR~2.jpg

Not advocating one way or another on what anyone should carry in country as i change it up quite a bit myself.
Did get a chance to fire a lot of diff cartridges into gel this weekend. Besides being fun, was informative as well. Started w/ a critical defense out of the PMR 30. Was btwn 13.5 and 14".
Not switching to 22mag anytime soon for heavy packouts, but id say she represented well in her narrow lane.

Enjoy

Think i do 29 plus one in the tube.

View attachment 364950View attachment 364951
Not advocating one way or another on what anyone should carry in country as i change it up quite a bit myself.
Did get a chance to fire a lot of diff cartridges into gel this weekend. Besides being fun, was informative as well. Started w/ a critical defense out of the PMR 30. Was btwn 13.5 and 14".
Not switching to 22mag anytime soon for heavy packouts, but id say she represented well in her narrow lane.

Enjoy
That's pretty decent expansion right there.

What other cartridges did you test?

Highlights were:
185gr XTP in the ACP shed the petals but the shank passed completely through.
Stellar performer was the 124gr V-Crown (9mm). Perfect razorsharp mushroom. Deep penetration.
Extreme penetrators are just insane. Full penetration in the 9mm, could prob swage rifling down and use again.
Xtps in all cartridges were boringly good except a 124gr (i think) from a 1.8 in barreled .38. That combo provided zero expansion but amazing penetration. Hitting a rib might help that. Gold dots and then old school speer 125s were best in that.
10mm. 180gr Xtps and sierras were great. Interested in seeing if bone will really destroy. The sierra did have a larger retained shank, which i liked.
.44 mag. Hard cast Keith bullet...absolutely eye opening.
Freight train comes to mind.
Lots of others but those come to mind.

Highlights were:
185gr XTP in the ACP shed the petals but the shank passed completely through.
Stellar performer was the 124gr V-Crown (9mm). Perfect razorsharp mushroom. Deep penetration.
Extreme penetrators are just insane. Full penetration in the 9mm, could prob swage rifling down and use again.
Xtps in all cartridges were boringly good except a 124gr (i think) from a 1.8 in barreled .38. That combo provided zero expansion but amazing penetration. Hitting a rib might help that. Gold dots and then old school speer 125s were best in that.
10mm. 180gr Xtps and sierras were great. Interested in seeing if bone will really destroy. The sierra did have a larger retained shank, which i liked.
.44 mag. Hard cast Keith bullet...absolutely eye opening.
Freight train comes to mind.
Lots of others but those come to mind.
Did you get to test any HSTs by chance?

I didnt test them but just asked a buddy that did. He said they were awesome, but he said they have been revamped since. Supposedly opening at slower speeds.
Forgot, SXTs did great as well.