side arm for wolf protection

My wife packs a pmr30 in north idaho. If the first round doesnt scare it off. Theres 29 tries left. Super light. Accurate. And gets good penetration. I dont usualy pack anything unless i go to known grizzly areas. Kinda agree with MtMuley there. But the pmr makes my wife feel comfortable so she can worry about other things. Like finding mushrooms. :)

My wife packs a pmr30 in north idaho. If the first round doesnt scare it off. Theres 29 tries left. Super light. Accurate. And gets good penetration. I dont usualy pack anything unless i go to known grizzly areas. Kinda agree with MtMuley there. But the pmr makes my wife feel comfortable so she can worry about other things. Like finding mushrooms. :)
So that PMR seems like about the same as a 5.7 but a bit cheaper for ammo then right? I would think 30 hits would be enough for almost any North American animal.

What do you pack when you go into grizzly areas? Think that Springfield SOCOM in 308 and 25 round mags would do it?

Well, I'm sure it would, especially if price kills. ;) :)
I have never got to play with a 7.5 FK BRNO before but from what I have seen if price were not the issue it may be the best handgun one could pack for dangerous 4 legged North American critters, maybe even grizzly bears.

Nope, doesn't me I couldn't, I figure I could kill one as good as any other guy out there I guess... after all, all you just have to shoot them right?
ive killed over a dozen, i live in the middle of one of the heaviest infested wolf /grizzly units in montana.
doesnt take alot of talent or a magnum firearm to kill a wolf , it takes getting your lazy carcass out of the front seat of your vehicle and taking a walk in the wilderness and find them just like you do with big game
find game youll find wolves

So that PMR seems like about the same as a 5.7 but a bit cheaper for ammo then right? I would think 30 hits would be enough for almost any North American animal.

What do you pack when you go into grizzly areas? Think that Springfield SOCOM in 308 and 25 round mags would do it?
5.7 is a mean animal and was another good recommendation. I was picking up 50round packs of 22mag for 11.00 a couple years back. Now its 20. Still available.

When i go to grizzly areas it depends on the hunt. If i am rifle hunting i dont pack a side arm. If bowhunting i typically pack a 10mm arguably light for griz.

Ive skinned black bear hit with lots of 40 S&W. From 10 to 30 yards. As I peeled the skin back the copper fmj's were right there. Didnt even poke into the fat. 10mm is better, but not a huge amount better. I have a revolver that if i was really concerned i would probably pack that for griz.

Back to the 22 mag. It will shoot clean through 4" trees. I do feel like penetration helps. Less likely to glance off a skull too. But to each their own

I have never killed a wolf, but I'm going to tell a story:

One day many years ago, a friend asked me to put down his dog. The heartworms were too far advanced to save him by the time the vet looked at him. My buddy didnt have the heart to do it, so he asked me to put his dog down. This was a pit mix, probably 80lbs. I took his 9mm beretta and the dog into the woods. In an effort to keep the story short, I'll tell you that after the second point blank shot into it's skull, it decided to attack me in it's own self defense. The third point blank bullet to the head went through the sinuses and killed it. I went back out there in the winter while I was deer hunting and found the clean skull. The first 2 9mm bullets barely scratched the skull. They were embedded in the skull, maybe a half inch of penetration. They weren't even close to penetrating. So some of you want to shoot a wolf with a pellet gun..... good luck. If you have a .22 magnum and an angry grizzly bear, you may be better off shooting yourself.

ive killed over a dozen, i live in the middle of one of the heaviest infested wolf /grizzly units in montana.
doesnt take alot of talent or a magnum firearm to kill a wolf , it takes getting your lazy carcass out of the front seat of your vehicle and taking a walk in the wilderness and find them just like you do with big game
find game youll find wolves
Ok, sounds like you've killed a lot of Wolves, congrats... I don't think I said either; talent or magnum as a requirement.
Now with that said; you have no idea how or where I hunt, so I'm just going to let that one fly by, as far as lazy, I wouldn't shade someone you've never met.
I've hunted a lot more dangerous stuff in my lifetime than Wolves and Bears... So if you'd like to school us... me! on all your Wolf kills, please be my guest, by the way, you're not the only guy that's hunted, Montana. So if you want to have a conversation great, if you just want to pull them out and measure them for fun... have fun. Cheers.