Side Arm for Grizzly Country

Having owned 10mm since the Bren days, I'd opine the glock is the worst of the lot. Had to send mine back when the rails came loose.
The best is the

EI GRAND POWER P40L 10MM LONG SLIDE

The unique rotating barrel changes the recoil impulse a lot, big magazine, DA/SA, excellent trigger and very accurate.

All that said it's still only a 10mm and a garden variety 44 magnum buries it.

Opinions are like belly buttons. You have ZERO idea of what happened so suggesting that WYG&F is covering something up is totally irresponsible.

I read the report and discussed it with Wardens. It was a total cl-----fu-- that ended up with a dead guide, 2 dead bears and hunter who skipped town before any hard questions could be asked.

Perhaps you should stick to happenings in AK ?
This site is a pleasure except any thread with you in it. Your constant arguements (usually wrongly) and trolling get old quick. Welcome to the Ignore list!

Here is a very close quarters bear attack story from a few years ago.
A fishing party wakens a sleeping bear in heavy cover.
The guide uses a 3rd Gen Smith 9mm to dispatch the bear.

That guide had some stones to stand in there and deliver round after round to vital areas of the bear.
The takeaways :
Don't wake up sleeping bears in heavy cover.
Choose something with more power than 9mm.

I am going on a horseback Mule Deer hunt in Grizzly Country. I will be with a guide. I am told that it is advisable to have a side arm for protection from the grizzly bears. The simple choice looks to be a 44 mag, with hard cast bullets, but I'm interested in hearing what you guys are using, and what advantages and disadvantages you have seen. I am limited in the weight that I can carry, so that is a consideration. I have a 6" S&W 357 Wheel gun, and hoping it is reasonable to use that for protection.
I bought a 10mm auto, 40 mos Glock, which I handload hot with solid bullets to penetrate well. I wanted a red dot (RMR 3.5 moa) which the mos line is cut for, and the 40 mos has a 6" barrel to get the most energy possible from a 10mm auto pistol. I wanted a pistol for faster follow up shots. And a polymer pistol is way lighter then a steel revolver, unloaded. Loaded their about the same weight but the pistol holds 2.5 times the ammo, 15 shots. If am ever charged I dont want to have to worry about reloading a revolver with a speedloader, doubt there would be time for that.
Most red dot sights last 1 yr on a battery. So just change it out on your Birthday.
I almost bought a Ruger GP100 match in 357, but went with the 10mm auto. I think the 357 would work in a pinch, with well placed shots. But if I was going to buy a 6 shot handgun to kill a brown/grizzle bear it would be a 44 mag or a 454 casull. 41 mag is said to be the minimum for bear defense. Keep bear spray handy as well. You never know.

I was in the camp that had the Mark Uptain incident last month. Heard the entire story from the camp cook and some of it is not in the news. I am from upstate NY as is my buddy and son who were also on the hunt. Our guides carried either 44's,357's or 10mm. The older guide had the 357 and said he could have all 6 shots off proficiently before you would know what happened. We all carried 15 rd Glock 20's. We were by no means bear experts and will never claim to be. I shoot 357,41 & 44 mags but feel better with the 10 just for the sake of being back on sight after a shot. I did hear that the Springfield XD 10mm will still fire if the bbl is pushed up against say a bears fur. We also jumped a grizz in his morning bed at about 100' on the 3rd day of the hunt but that was the only bear we seen. There is different protocol now since that incident.
I have an XDM OSP 10mm and can say tbis is not the case. The gun goes out of battery with pressure on the muzzle or slide. The cure is simple to run a weapon light that protrude beyond the muzzle.

Any thoughts on 40 Smith and Wesson?
Velocity, energy slightly lower than 10 mm. Bullet same diameter. With hard cast WFN a cranial shot would likely be fatal. I have a Walther PPQ in .40 S&W that I would consider as a sidearm. That said, I'm in process of loading 285 gr Keith style for my .44 Mag in prep for hunting in WY and maybe UT.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.