Side Arm for Grizzly Country

There was a father - son hunting by Whitefish about 2 weeks ago that were mauled and both were sent to the hospital this is definitely becoming a more common accourance here in N.W MT. Ive lived here 30 years now and the first 15 I dont remember ever even seeing a G- Bear track in the snow, in the last 10 years every year I will atleast run across one in the snow in the N.F of the Flathead or Cabinet Mtn wilderness.
I just read an article were there were 6 sightings in the Missoula area this year and 3 confirmed so there setting up a management zone.
Thought I didn't have to worry about them when I go into the Selway but the last couple years has changed my mind, anymore no matter were I go my expectation is their there even out my back door.

I've never been attacked by a Griz, but reading the accounts of folks getting jumped by bears, the range is close.
10 - 20 yards comes to mind.

I have a Smith 629 (44 mag), Dan Wesson .357 and a Glock G20 (10mm)

If I was going into Griz country, I'd get a Kenai chest rig (kydex) and carry my G20.
I have found the G20 to be very easy to handle and shoot accurately.
And you are 15+1 on ammo....you won't be getting into a running gunfight out there, but it's comforting to have the firepower.

Whatever you choose to carry, practice and get good with it.
Then make sure you can GET IT DEPLOYED QUICKLY when you are on your hunt.
You don't put it in a backpack or fanny pack.
Get a chest rig and KEEP A ROUND IN THE CHAMBER if you choose the G20.

Here's a bear defense success story...

And here's the sad story of the death of Wyoming hunting guide Mark Uptain that many may recall...

Serious business, bear defense.
And danger ramps up exponentially with an animal down.

Maybe over kill but my S&W 460 was bought for such a occasion . While that power level maybe excessive if such a thing in case of grizzly attack. it will shoot 454 casull and 45 colt which can be hpped up in such a gun. For best accuracy I use 454 rounds with heavy bullet. IMO too much gun(if possible) is better than almost enough gun for the job at hand.
I would consider 45 colt or 44 mag as a minimum side arm. After all if he has been shot he is not going to be happy when coming at you.

On 357 mag. I used one two weeks ago to put a deer down I had shot with muzzle loader. It was hurt enough it couldn't run,but was not dying anytime soon. One round thru cheat at 5 feet and it layed there for another 3 or 4 minutes breathing. I wanted it to die quick and humane and was about to out another round into it when it die die off. Don;t think a man alive would have lasted that long. That was little 160 pound buck not a ****ed off grizzly.

On 357 mag. I used one two weeks ago to put a deer down I had shot with muzzle loader. It was hurt enough it couldn't run,but was not dying anytime soon. One round thru cheat at 5 feet and it layed there for another 3 or 4 minutes breathing. I wanted it to die quick and humane and was about to out another round into it when it die die off. Don;t think a man alive would have lasted that long. That was little 160 pound buck not a ****ed off grizzly.

Chris, many years ago, when I first started hand loading for my .357 Mag., I pushed them to the point of "very" difficult extraction.....then backed - off a bit. With these "deer load", I I shot a raccoon on a tree limb twice...either hit (one just behind the ribs, one just behind the shoulder) would have been fatal. The coon after the second hit, fell from the limb and ran approximately 50 yards.

While a bear, or anything else, can be killed with a .357 Mag.....it's a long way from a "stopping cartridge"! memtb

I'm not sure if the 460 Rowland has been mentioned in this thread but I would throw that one in the mix as a solid choice. More power than a 10mm and more ammo capacity than a revolver. I have a Glock 21 that I converted to the 460 Rowland about 5-6 years ago. I'm primarily an archery hunter and that has been what I've carried since then.

Attachments

• 20150430_105846.jpg
    20150430_105846.jpg
    637.7 KB · Views: 85
Here's a bear defense success story...

And here's the sad story of the death of Wyoming hunting guide Mark Uptain that many may recall...

Serious business, bear defense.
And danger ramps up exponentially with an animal down.
I was in the camp that had the Mark Uptain incident last month. Heard the entire story from the camp cook and some of it is not in the news. I am from upstate NY as is my buddy and son who were also on the hunt. Our guides carried either 44's,357's or 10mm. The older guide had the 357 and said he could have all 6 shots off proficiently before you would know what happened. We all carried 15 rd Glock 20's. We were by no means bear experts and will never claim to be. I shoot 357,41 & 44 mags but feel better with the 10 just for the sake of being back on sight after a shot. I did hear that the Springfield XD 10mm will still fire if the bbl is pushed up against say a bears fur. We also jumped a grizz in his morning bed at about 100' on the 3rd day of the hunt but that was the only bear we seen. There is different protocol now since that incident.

Last edited:
Guide that was killed in Tetons last year had a 10mm Glock. While the bear was knawing on him, the guide tossed it to the bow hunter who claims he could not figure out how to use it. So he dropped it and ran away.

Guide that was killed in Tetons last year had a 10mm Glock. While the bear was knawing on him, the guide tossed it to the bow hunter who claims he could not figure out how to use it. So he dropped it and ran away.

That seems.... Unlikely.

More likely that he panicked and ran away than could figure out how to use a glock. Seems like that person would have been just as unlikely to to have been able to figure how to run double action revolver...

Also, if the guide was able to toss it accurately, why wouldn't he have just used it himself?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts