Side Arm for Grizzly Country

If you can purchase them presently. Thanks to the info on the hard cast bullets for a 10mm. It has been my understanding that hard cast are better on Bears, than jacketed bullets.

I am going on a horseback Mule Deer hunt in Grizzly Country. I will be with a guide. I am told that it is advisable to have a side arm for protection from the grizzly bears. The simple choice looks to be a 44 mag, with hard cast bullets, but I'm interested in hearing what you guys are using, and what advantages and disadvantages you have seen. I am limited in the weight that I can carry, so that is a consideration. I have a 6" S&W 357 Wheel gun, and hoping it is reasonable to use that for protection.
If you want a new pistol for grizzly get the Smith& Wesson 500. Thats what I carry for the big and nasty. Easy to reload too.

No Experience but can help with the Energy numbers. As anything sometime the most energy may not be the optimum, if the barrel is too long for manipulating in close quarters and or one cannot manage recoil. That part of it has to be a determination by the shooter and what conditions. Such as if one knows they will be in the open without being in an ambush area, then a longer barrel may be better. If a Grizzly has already knocked you down and on top of you, the shorter barrels may be the only tool one could possibly manipulate. The following are energy numbers out of the Hornady web-site. They had muzzle energy, 50 yd energy and 100 yd energy. I chose to calculate at the 25yd energy value as a relative value:
9mm Plus x 4"brl. 350#ft
357 Mag x 8"brl. 500#ft
41 Mag x 10"brl. 1000#ft
44 Mag x 7.5"brl. 890#ft
45 Colt x 4,75"brl. 430#ft
454 Casull x 7.5" brl. 1710#ft
460 S&W x 8.38"brl. 1915#ft
480 Ruger x 7.5"brl. 1170#ft
50 Action Expr. x 6"brl. 1250#ft
500 S&W x 8.5" brl. 2617#ft
Best Regards,

IMO.....likely, recoil will be a non-issue! Reason being, grizzly attacks are seldom advertised.....you are most likely to only get one shot off if that, in a full blown attack. If you are afforded more time that that....use the rifle. More accuracy and horsepower! memtb

Cram your snubby down Mr Bear's throat, all the way to your shoulder and start pulling the trigger. He will be trying to spit your arm out and make you go away. If desired results are not obtained after a minute or two, just leave your arm and BOOGIE!

I have always wondered about a FN57 for bear defense with solids. Seems like a 5.7x28 with a solid would be pretty good. I have no experience with one. (I would if there were cheaper). Anyone have feedback that round. I have a 10mm but the 5.7 has always intrigued me.

I have always wondered about a FN57 for bear defense with solids. Seems like a 5.7x28 with a solid would be pretty good. I have no experience with one. (I would if there were cheaper). Anyone have feedback that round. I have a 10mm but the 5.7 has always intrigued me.

I've thought about it too lol.

The following are energy numbers out of the Hornady web-site. They had muzzle energy, 50 yd energy and 100 yd energy. I chose to calculate at the 25yd energy value as a relative value:
9mm Plus x 4"brl. 350#ft
357 Mag x 8"brl. 500#ft
41 Mag x 10"brl. 1000#ft
44 Mag x 7.5"brl. 890#ft
45 Colt x 4,75"brl. 430#ft
454 Casull x 7.5" brl. 1710#ft
460 S&W x 8.38"brl. 1915#ft
480 Ruger x 7.5"brl. 1170#ft
50 Action Expr. x 6"brl. 1250#ft
500 S&W x 8.5" brl. 2617#ft
Best Regards,

I don't think energy numbers are particularly useful when the only reliable stop would be a CNS hit. So long as it has enough energy to penetrate to where it's going it shouldn't matter. Good, hard, solid bullets will maximize the penetration. Trying to maximize energy just leads to slower follow up shots and less practice due to recoil.

That said, I think the Buffalo bore hardcast 220gr 10mm ammo claims 1200 ftlbs at the muzzle. Not sure how or why you changed it to be energy at 25yds. A charging bear is likely to be significantly closer than that by the time you can pull the trigger

Cram your snubby down Mr Bear's throat, all the way to your shoulder and start pulling the trigger. He will be trying to spit your arm out and make you go away. If desired results are not obtained after a minute or two, just leave your arm and BOOGIE!
Not a solution to what to use against a grizzly, but my method for protection is not to go invading his territory and space and putting myself in a terrible situation that I could lose. I used to surf years ago and it was kind of the same situation with the sharks. Mr shark was pretty much king of that environment and I was there just dangling my legs in his space. Now older and wiser, I dont go surfing. Nor do I want to be in grizzly territory.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.