Side Arm for Grizzly Country

LOL! OK, let's get it rolling to a 20-pager, I'll start as "HERE" ...

4 sure.............. and how of the G bear sightings have been when the spotter was 110% sure it was a Grizzly and not a color phase black bear. Those who've been in G bear country a lot know exactly what I'm speaking of...:)

He said what he said because the majority of riders mount/dismount from the horse's left side and therefore most scabbards are setup on the right. I do. He probably got off his horse like he had his entire life.
Correct . Dismount on left. Grab rifle from scabbard on right side while getting off. Works both ways. Good thinking Bravo and rbirch222.

The speed of a male grizzly is 30 MPH From a standing start up to 25 MPH in 6 seconds and can cover over 109 yards in 6 seconds! Female with cubs will lope at up to 15 MPH

And that's...before they have their Wheaties:)

I hunt NW Wyoming Grizz country solo. I opted to carry a S&W 4in .460 I chose penetration over capacity. There could easily be a chance that you only get 1 shot off. I want to have the most gun that I am comfortable with to make that possible 1 shot count and a revolver has less chances to have any issues.

I carry during rifle season since it is always on me and it has open sights. It is a lot easier and faster to put on target when seconds count.

I have heard the argument for bear spray, but it is always windy around here and I don't want to take a chance that I only incapacitate myself do to spraying it into the wind.

I shoot reloads. 325 grain hard cast.

50 yards in 3 seconds,,,hmm what's that break down to from 15 yards or so...

As one poster said, practice practice practice

Hell , I love it ! Something to get my mind off the virus and riots , economy, and everything else that's going on. I think everyone on here knows the majority of us haven't and prolly never will encounter a grizz in the wild. I live in KY , hunt MT most every year and happy to see an elk , much less a grizzly. To those of you that have / do / & will in the future I pray it's from a safe distance. The rest of us can argue hypothetical circumstances just like what we'd do if we won lottery.

Better question.....how many that gave an answer here have actually seen a griz in the wild?
First Grizzlies I saw was the first time I was allowed to ride fence at cow camp, cow camp was in the Gravely range. I was 8, now days you don't ride up there without real fire power, a good share of the ranchers have pulled out every year multiple guys get wacked, you couldn't pay me to hunt that now!!

First Grizzlies I saw was the first time I was allowed to ride fence at cow camp, cow camp was in the Gravely range. I was 8, now days you don't ride up there without real fire power, a good share of the ranchers have pulled out every year multiple guys get wacked, you couldn't pay me to hunt that now!!

Yeah there are bird spots I won't go to now. The one encounter in Choteau is enough. I don't need me or my dogs getting tore up looking for ditch pigeons, lol.

The Hutte colony I get hogs from had a sow and cubs denned up along a creek bed in a bank surrounded by thickets. She's a big girl... Hog barn boss said they'd check on the den in the winter and early spring, and when the emerged they stayed the hell away, lol.

Yeah there are bird spots I won't go to now. The one encounter in Choteau is enough. I don't need me or my dogs getting tore up looking for ditch pigeons, lol.

The Hutte colony I get hogs from had a sow and cubs denned up along a creek bed in a bank surrounded by thickets. She's a big girl... Hog barn boss said they'd check on the den in the winter and early spring, and when the emerged they stayed the hell away, lol.
I have some guys I know up there that send me pics of Grizz running in front of combines, totally retarded!!
I ran a trap line from Augusta up to Choteau back in the day for school and gas money to run lions in the Bob nothing could get me to do that again, pure death wish, miss those days don't want anything to do with what it is today!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.