Side Arm for Grizzly Country

Upland Freak --- I gotta ask. How many shootouts with Bears (or anything) have you been in ?

S2S has a track record with bears.

I'll always listen to the Old Sgt with a 2 star CIB before the 2nd Looie from West Point.
None - thank goodness, unless you count all the black bears I have killed. But I am rubbing shoulders with them all year. I hunt Deer, Elk, Black Bears and Wolves in grizzly country. I see them regularly.

You? Apparently you are living in the middle of bear country down there in Florida?

Caliber: 10mm Auto
Bullet Wt.: 165gr COR®BON Self-Defense JHP
Velocity: 1250fps
Energy: 573ftlbs
Test Barrel Length: 4.6 Inches
20 rounds per box.

Caliber: 44 Rem Mag
Bullet Wt.: 225gr DPX
Velocity: 1350fps
Energy: 911ftlbs
Test Barrel Length: 8.375 Inches
20 rounds per box.

Almost twice the energy for a bullet 50% heavier. Any questions ?
One question, why didn't you pick a real .44 bullet for comparison :D

Buffalo Bore

"DANGEROUS GAME" 10MM AUTO - Mono-METAL
190 gr. Mono-Metal FN @ 1,200fps / ME 607 ft-lbs
20 Round Box

DANGEROUS GAME HEAVY 44 MAGNUM - Mono-Metal
265 gr. Mono-Metal WFN @ 1,425 fps / ME 1,195 ft lbs
20 Round Box

again a blowout.

UF, not a lawyer are you ? First rule: never ask a question unless you know the answer.

"do, do, do, looking out my front door."

IMG_2913.jpg

Hint: 2550 miles from our winter home in FL.

UF, not a lawyer are you ? First rule: never ask a question unless you know the answer.

"do, do, do, looking out my front door."

View attachment 197233

Hint: 2550 miles from our winter home in FL.
Oh...so close to those moose....... :) :) :) Great vista. Envy you.....except for the Florida thingy. I've been hearing Montana, Wyoming, Idaho calling my name for several years. Ridden my Harley through there many times. Sadly, at my age and by myself, think I've waited too long.

Last edited:
I didn't read the 14 pages of posts, so if someone already suggested the following I'm sorry. My suggestion is to use a combination chest holster and binocular case like this one from Alaska Guide. There are other manufactures that make double duty chest holsters/bino bags.

Ruger Or Smith and Wesson make a Short barrel S S revolver called the Alaskan! I think a two or three inch barrel , chambered in 44 mag ! I'd Buy that !!

Unless those are bears disguised as horses that picture doesn't answer the question. Lol

Did you have to go to school to become such a jerk or was it bred into you.

If you knew where that is you would know we have more bears that your "western US" land of OZ.

You really need to get on Facebook, you'ld be right at home there.

With all of the other expenditures associated with this trip, and the feedback provided above,, I'm leaning toward using the 357 Mag that I own. Its a 7 shot. Which brand and grain weight of hard cast ammo would y'all recommend for the 357?

i would shoot a 180gr wfn hardcast such as these.👇
12C647C0-43D3-4B69-A3DF-31CD9450DFA2.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts