Side Arm for Grizzly Country

Cardall and Peter Rosen, in their article "Grizzly Bear Attack" published in the Journal of Emergency Medicine documented 162 bear-inflicted injuries in the United States between 1900 and 1985.[1] Stephen Herrero, a Canadian biologist, reports that during the 1990s, bears killed around three people a year in the U.S. and Canada, as compared to the 15 people killed every year by dogs.[2

According to the NOAA, over the last 20 years, the United States averaged 51 annual lightning strike fatalities, placing it in the second position, just behind floods for deadly weather. In the US, between 9% and 10% of those struck die, with an annual average of 25 deaths in the 2010s decade (16 in 2017).

In 2019, an estimated 38,800 people lost their lives to car crashes – a 2% decline from 2018 (39,404 deaths) and a 4% decline from 2017 (40,231 deaths). About 4.4 million people were injured seriously enough to require medical attention in crashes last year – also a 2% decrease over 2018 figures.
Fatality Estimates - National Safety Council
www.nsc.org › road-safety › safety-topics › fatality-estim..

But if your looking for a reason to buy a new gun,,, bear attack is a good one.

Cardall and Peter Rosen, in their article "Grizzly Bear Attack" published in the Journal of Emergency Medicine documented 162 bear-inflicted injuries in the United States between 1900 and 1985.[1] Stephen Herrero, a Canadian biologist, reports that during the 1990s, bears killed around three people a year in the U.S. and Canada, as compared to the 15 people killed every year by dogs.[2

According to the NOAA, over the last 20 years, the United States averaged 51 annual lightning strike fatalities, placing it in the second position, just behind floods for deadly weather. In the US, between 9% and 10% of those struck die, with an annual average of 25 deaths in the 2010s decade (16 in 2017).

In 2019, an estimated 38,800 people lost their lives to car crashes – a 2% decline from 2018 (39,404 deaths) and a 4% decline from 2017 (40,231 deaths). About 4.4 million people were injured seriously enough to require medical attention in crashes last year – also a 2% decrease over 2018 figures.
Fatality Estimates - National Safety Council
www.nsc.org › road-safety › safety-topics › fatality-estim..

But if your looking for a reason to buy a new gun,,, bear attack is a good one.
hahaha, these are valid points, your odds are fairly low of being attacked. However one factor that should be considered is the number of people that live in or travel into where grizzly bears live has got to be way less than the number of people who go where dogs live, or who are outside during lightning etc. Any idea what the probability of attack is for those who go into griz country? I know it's still super low, I'm just thinking it's not as low as the probability of being killed by lightning.

I'll add a couple things that my other post didn't include...

Yes, definitely have a buddy. The odds of a bear attacking a group are drastically reduced.

Yes, bears tend to stink. If you're paying attention often you can smell them before you see them.

I wouldn't take all of the defense of life & property statics for Alaska at face value. There's a lot of bears that are killed under that every year the people just shoot for being a nuisance.

Almost every bear encounter I've had has been a surprise to both of us. Kind of like humans, they aren't always paying attention to their surroundings. Most of tge time it's a black bear and it runs off. If not, we yell at it and then it runs off lol brown bears, you need to read the situation a little bit to figure out how to react. If it's a charge, all bets are off, but being bear-aware has kept my wife and I out if that situation.

I put on 150+ miles a year on foot in the Alaska backcountry between hiking and hunting.

Last time I hunted elk in Wyoming's grizz country, the game and fish officer gave us one piece of advice if your rifle is your protection, place the scabbard on the side of the horse you dismount. He was charged by a silver back and he would be dead if the boar didn't peal away at the last second. He dismounted on the left and his shotgun was on the horse's right side.

I carried a Glock 20 and bear spray and soiled my drawers everytime I saw a track or claw marks 10 feet high on a tree.
Sorry guys if someone already brought this up, I stopped reading the thread shortly after.
This post immediately got me thinking...If you have your rifle/shotgun lets say the left side and a grizzly bear charges you from the left side are you still going to dismount from the left side where your rifle/shotgun is? Not a grizzly bear expert but the training I've had and my experience in combat would tell me to dismount on the opposite side and put the horse between us. That would be kind of like getting out of a vehicle on the contact side of an ambush (if from only one side) instead of going through the vehicle (if possible) and getting out on the noncontact side and putting the vehicle between you and the aggressors for cover.
So by the officer's logic you need a long gun on both sides in case of an attack on either side, Maybe you should learn to shoot ambi too, just in case. I'm down with that.😁

Not an attack on the poster above, just don't see the officer's logic.

So you are going to have your rifle in one hand while you are field dressing an animal? With one in the chamber and safety off? Or across your lap while you are riding in and out On horseback with one in the chamber? Just curious how you envision it? I am not trying to start a fight, but you guys who don't hunt in grizzly country should probably think through these scenarios before you chime in and give bad advice. I have seen them and had their tracks right in top of mine in the snow while I was out hunting. You have to plan on it being a close quarter quick attack. Thus the guides recommendation for a handgun for protection.

The main recommendation from the AAR of the guide who was killed last year in Wyoming was:

1. Always try to move the animal into a clearing before cleaning in Griz country and,
2. Always have an alert and ready sentry posted during cleaning.

I've always followed this and never had an issue arise yet. About 90% of the time I don't hunt alone soooo

Sorry guys if someone already brought this up, I stopped reading the thread shortly after.
This post immediately got me thinking...If you have your rifle/shotgun lets say the left side and a grizzly bear charges you from the left side are you still going to dismount from the left side where your rifle/shotgun is? Not a grizzly bear expert but the training I've had and my experience in combat would tell me to dismount on the opposite side and put the horse between us. That would be kind of like getting out of a vehicle on the contact side of an ambush (if from only one side) instead of going through the vehicle (if possible) and getting out on the noncontact side and putting the vehicle between you and the aggressors for cover.
So by the officer's logic you need a long gun on both sides in case of an attack on either side, Maybe you should learn to shoot ambi too, just in case. I'm down with that.😁

Not an attack on the poster above, just don't see the officer's logic.

I don't think he saw the bear before he dismounted. He's saying to put the gun on the side you generally mount/dismount from so that it's more easily accessible. If he'd have seen it while mounted I'd think he'd have just tried to ride away while grabbing the gun.

I carry a Double D chest holster with a .454 Freedom Arms 6" revolver in it. It's loaded with full power handloads and 300 gr. Wide Flat Nose Gas Check bullets. I also carry bear spray.

Having said that, I have 2 other observations regarding the topic... An old-timer once told me to file down the front sight on your bear handgun. That way it won't hurt so much when the bear sticks it up....never mind.

Second observation is this...what's the difference between black bear scat and grizzly bear scat??
....about 4 pounds.

Kidding aside, use what is familiar. If you have to use it, you won't have time to think about it.
Staying bear aware at all times will help you the most.

Last edited:
357 will be fine. I do most of my hunting in Grizzly country. I carry a glock 29 10mm. Anything will be better than nothing - no handgun will make their legs come out from under them, unless it is a shot to the head that penetrates their thick skull. You just have to convince them you bite back and live to fight another day. I would choose the gun you shoot the most accurately and pick a good hardcast or solid bullet.

Plus 1

With all of the other expenditures associated with this trip, and the feedback provided above,, I'm leaning toward using the 357 Mag that I own. Its a 7 shot. Which brand and grain weight of hard cast ammo would y'all recommend for the 357?

Well if it's a surprise attack from 10-30 yards I can guarantee you that you will never use 7 rounds. Depending on your shooting skills it will be far fewer. Take what you shoot well. With a pistol/revolver the goal is to discourage the Grizz following through on the attack it won't be stopped by a pistol round.

Being familiar with, and knowing how to use what you have on you is a LOT more important that how "BIG" it is. Having said that, bigger IS better up to a point. Fighting a grizzly with a handgun is a last ditch effort. Bullet speed is NOT the "be all and end all". The right bullet ending up where it needs to go is. I'm thinking I'm going to replace my Raging Bull .480 with a Glock 10mm just for portability's sake.

There have been other threads regarding this issue. Your 357 is fine as long as you are confident shooting it. I personally carry a Glock G20 10mm in a Kenai Chest holster. fits perfect right behind my bino case. I go with 220 grain bear loads in my 10mm because I can carry 15+1. Just remember its as many shots on target in the shortest amount of time. Yes the 44mag has been the ticket and is tried and true I am just a Glock guy and I love my 10's.

Other than that dont be worried going into bear country just go have fun and be aware I go by myself all the time.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.