Side Arm for Grizzly Country

I've got one of those and it's a beast, it tore a hole in my thumb before I got through the first cylinder. The second time out a week later it tore the wound open again on the second shot. It's the only pistol that's made me bleed shooting and I'm not recoil sensitive. That grip just rubbed my thumb wrong, I added some Pachmayr grips and it changed things. Even my 4" S&W 500 didn't tear up my hands like the 629.
LoL. I hear that.

This was after the first box. Went to VZ grips on it and getting that pinky something to hold onto changed everything. 2.2 is turning 13 and he can hold it down pretty well but with the factory grips I don't think he could maintain a grip.
7F1F8F41-0DB9-416F-99F0-F5D721395903.jpeg

DC7E0578-BF6C-430C-8CD7-17A6B277CDC4.jpeg

02C66427-7C0A-43C2-A452-33152F68121D.jpeg

I watched informative show about being in grizzly territory and the caretaker kept a 44 on his belt but said that even a 44 body shot did nothing to slow them down and a 9mm was useless. He said with deep conviction that bear spray is the best protection because they cannot take that severe irritation to their highly sensitive nose. Also it doesnt take a direct well placed hit like a bullet. Two men were attacked. One was high in a tree and watched grizzly maul the man on ground scalping him with one bite and breaking many bones with one swipe of paw then dragged him stuffed him in brush pile and deficated on him. Then climbed the tree grabbed breaking his ankle pulling him out of tree. He had can of bear spray and sprayed in bears direction and bear stopped his attack and turned slowly walked away shaking his head.
Tell Phil Shoemaker a 9MM is no good for Griz.

Double Tapp or Buffalo Bore
HSM makes bear rounds for most cartridges . I'd carry my 460 S&W or my 454 Cassul in a shoulder holster. I'd feel fine with a 44 mag but mine is S.A.. Shoot what you have and shoot well. Heavy hard cast gas checked bullet best.
Thanks Richard !
I haven't got thru all 8 pages yet.

I walk my dog amongst Grissly.s
Attacks are relatively rare, mostly surprising encounters at short distance.
Female with Cubs dangerous as well as old boys with no teeth lol.
A Grissly will not be intimidated but as a rule would want to leave without losing face.
The story goes that some Alaskan guide suggest to file the front sight off any gun less than 44 Magnum so it won't hurt so much,when he or she shoves it.....lol
IMO a revolver, short (4")barrel 44M 325gr water hardened cast bullet or my choice a 460 S&W /360gr hard cast.
No safety just pull the trigger.
The 460 in a head on charge will penetrate the 1" think skull plate if you can hit the bobbing head that is.
Have fun ,don't worry to much and be safe
Martin

Attachments

• 20200605_104932.jpg
    20200605_104932.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 121
I am going on a horseback Mule Deer hunt in Grizzly Country. I will be with a guide. I am told that it is advisable to have a side arm for protection from the grizzly bears. The simple choice looks to be a 44 mag, with hard cast bullets, but I'm interested in hearing what you guys are using, and what advantages and disadvantages you have seen. I am limited in the weight that I can carry, so that is a consideration. I have a 6" S&W 357 Wheel gun, and hoping it is reasonable to use that for protection.

what you have and what you are comfortable with, combined with proper bullet selection is your best option. Make sure you can deploy and use it quickly and accurately. IT DOESN'T MATTER what you are carrying, if you can't get it out Or shoot it accurately, especially during times of stress.

Last edited:
Use what ever you can handle the best.I carry a 4"model 629.I do not load full tilt boogie as the gun is too hard to control like that.1000 FPS with a 320 grain hard cast will work, but that is what I am comfortable with.Another nice rig is my Marlin 1894 in 44 Mag with a 16" barrel.I carry that when I am Salmon fishing.

I am going on a horseback Mule Deer hunt in Grizzly Country. I will be with a guide. I am told that it is advisable to have a side arm for protection from the grizzly bears. The simple choice looks to be a 44 mag, with hard cast bullets, but I'm interested in hearing what you guys are using, and what advantages and disadvantages you have seen. I am limited in the weight that I can carry, so that is a consideration. I have a 6" S&W 357 Wheel gun, and hoping it is reasonable to use that for protection.
Glock G20 10mm with Underwood ammo... 15+1... great bear medicine

It all depends on the situation. I like to hunt bears in Alaska and rule number one which you have covered is have a buddy. It does not matter what kind of fire arm you have if you're jumped by the bear. Often times in Alaska the grass is almost at my head which means you can't see past the narrow trail you or the animals make.

Have had a bear literally jump up 5 feet from me and run off. I also had a co-worker that was mauled by a griz, no gun of his saved his life, his buddy did by shooting it off him while it was chewing on the back of his head.

I like to bring my 12 gauge with rotation of buckshot slug buckshot slug. YES it is heavy, but I feel more comfortable than using a pistol. The goal with buckshot is to disorient in any way possible and seal the deal with the single shot if lucky enough to escape the attack or have a pre-warning of the animal. (You most likely won't get this, bears are very quiet unless they want you to hear that they are present)

No I don't skin out an animal unless the gun is at my side and yes my buddy is holding either a shotgun or their weapon of choice while I'm skinning out the animal.

Everyone has their own practice. Just use the buddy rule and have a plan in case something happens. Good luck on your hunt and send some pics.

Carried a .44 magnum Super Redhawk loaded heavy in addition to my .338 Win on several diy fly in hunts in Alaska. Thank the Lord never needed it but comforting to have at the ready always.

If you are on a horse when griz shows up, try not to scare the bear or the horse. If on the ground, use bear spray; certainly, that is the consensus nowadays. Your rifle can be a good backup, but everybody around here relies on bear spray.

Wow that's pretty rare! I lived and hunted in WV for almost 20 years- mainly Hampshire County area. Usually when I spied a blackie it was a view of their rump bounding off. My buddy has a cabin waaay in the woods up near the Tea Table along the old Braddock Rd. in Hampshire and he had a pesky bear getting up on his porch and trying to get in. He had some 12 ga bean bags, snuck up along the corner of his house (wrap around deck) and shot the bugger in the arse, lol. He never came back :)
I hardly ever see black bear where I hunt (especially during bear season haha) and they always scatter like greased lighting when I do. I totally didn't expect an encounter like that. I hunt Southern Pennsylvania near the PA, MD and WVa borders (Fayette and
Somerset counties)

Sorry about that got on a tangent due to being frustrated with someone insulting another's plan.

You said light weight. Any pistol will do, recently did a 20 mile ultralight backpacking trip and yes (brought my 9 mm) for hiking mountain ridgelines. The big thing is my buddy also had a pistol. BUDDY systems and communication is key.

Went fly fishing in Montana last year. Old Native American guide named "Charlie" ( who knows his real name) carried a .44 because that's what he always carried. Said most of the younger guys carried 10mm with lots of rounds. He also carried bear spray and had us carry some as well.

We were discussing the bear situation and different methods of protection, I ask him why he carried the .44 . He said the bigger bores were too difficult to have a follow up shot, and since his first shot was going to miss while "staining his underwear " (not his actual words) he wanted something to give him at least a chance of hitting it on the second shot.

He said anything smaller (.357 and such) would require him to carry bacon grease. WTH????? "You rub the grease on the damm thing and throw it as far as you can"....he said without even a hint of humor.

And Freddie is right, Charlie told us to keep our eyes peeled and noses open because bears smell terrible and unless you are completely upwind you will smell them first. He said if you smell the bear drop your gear, get out your spray and start looking. Also, if your buddy hooked a fish, watch his back, not the fish.....he definitely had our attention. Great guide, his stories and personality made the trip extremely memorable.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.