Side Arm for Grizzly Country

I am going on a horseback Mule Deer hunt in Grizzly Country. I will be with a guide. I am told that it is advisable to have a side arm for protection from the grizzly bears. The simple choice looks to be a 44 mag, with hard cast bullets, but I'm interested in hearing what you guys are using, and what advantages and disadvantages you have seen. I am limited in the weight that I can carry, so that is a consideration. I have a 6" S&W 357 Wheel gun, and hoping it is reasonable to use that for protection.
I recently hunted Alaska 19b for grizzly and brown bear and had the same exact problem deciding on sidearm. Straight up you should have a sidearm. Even if you have a guide or others in your group bears are extremely fast and can surprise you unexpectedly. I had a blackie meet me on my way to the outhouse at 2:00 am and having a handgun made the encounter less frightening. My hunt was a grizzly hunt and there were close encounters at 20 yards with a sow and 2 cubs As we slow floated the Holitna River looking for bears. I didn't even know they were there until we were on them. Luckily we we river floating and they headed into the woods rather than to our boat. Preparing for the hunt I had the choice of Ruger Super Red hawk 44 mag 7.5 " or Glock 40 in 10mm with a 6" Alpha Wolf barrel. Practiced with both, hand loaded hard cast for both and ultimately took the Glock 40 with 15 rounds hand loaded 220 grain hard cast bullets traveling at 1150 FPS. Always had it with me in chest holster. Never had to used for defense but would feel adequately protected should the need arise.

I am going on a horseback Mule Deer hunt in Grizzly Country. I will be with a guide. I am told that it is advisable to have a side arm for protection from the grizzly bears. The simple choice looks to be a 44 mag, with hard cast bullets, but I'm interested in hearing what you guys are using, and what advantages and disadvantages you have seen. I am limited in the weight that I can carry, so that is a consideration. I have a 6" S&W 357 Wheel gun, and hoping it is reasonable to use that for protection.
I have stated my preferences for Alaskan handguns on other web pages.
I currently use a The Ruger Super Red Hawk "Toklat" revolver in .454 Casull,. As a back up it can not be beat. (Negative side heavy weight / recoil, ) - (Positive side SS finish, will satisfactorily take on anything)
It is truly quite a handful in more than one way!
I used to carry a Ruger Super Black Hawk with a 6 1/2" barrel in 44 Magnum in a clam shell holster worn under my left arm.
Please note that this Super Black Hawk chambered in .44 magnum is the minimum caliber that I feel comfortable with in the Great White Alaskan Wilderness.
However now my sidearm of preference is the Ruger Super Red Hawk "Toklat" 7 1/2" bbl version. IMHO this barrel length is just about right to carry and yet still is readily available if need be.!
This is carried again under my left arm in a break away clamshell holster.

INHO Most bear attacks occur at relatively short range , and in a flash of time, so when in bear country always be prepared for the unexpected because you never know what's watching or hearing you.
This is the adage that I live by !
I expect some controversy on this subject, But both of these handguns have dispatched dangerous game for me.
I have not played around with any 10mm handguns!
Your Thoughts ?

Last edited:
I used to carry a Super Blackhawk- 5.5" .44 in a Diamond D chest rig for years while hiking. It was okay- better on 4 wheeler but kinda heavy for hiking/backpacking. You can get pretty rub sore while heavy hiking with that.

I now pack bear s'pray' and a Marlin Guide Gun.

gLz7e7A.jpg

I love that rifle. I shall never part with that gal. Piece of beauty compared to the new Remlins.

I've also got this- but I wouldn't really rely on it in Griz country. In a pinch it makes for a much more comfortable carry option though.

ctW2VS8.jpg

That's the last FBI issued S&W .357 with a rare 3" barrel. Model 13-4. My friend/ffl buys out collections from local guys and this one was in one of those bulk purchases. Hardly fired in mint condition. That puppy is accurate! I haven't shot it a lot, but me and a buddy in Billings went out to a range and fired from 25 yds. This was .38spcl.

kLNtPNT.jpg

Outside of one jerk- I'm happy! (see those little holes around the target- that's my buddy and his 'baby Glock' 9mm, lol.

Last edited:
I carry a Smith Pro Series 686 .357 with 4" barrel in kydex belt holster loaded with Buffalo Bore Heavy 180gn Lead Flat Nose (item #19A/20). These are a handful to shoot but with a tight grip I shoot them pretty well. I regularly practice from a couple of feet out to 50 ft. There's no doubt a well placed shot will kill a grizzly - it's just how much damage they can do before they die. Grizzly's often attack when injured. If you are rifle hunting practice sighting down the barrel (not thru scope) and shooting close range. I turn my 300 mag on it's side to do this.

Read some of the recent mauling reports in Montana. Keep a clean camp and have a plan for field dressing, packing and storage. Most of all have fun and if you are lucky you will see one these awesome beasts and they will behave they way they should (run away.)

What is that like a 2.5" barrel? Dang that puppy must bark!!

She rumbles pretty good, 2.2 just started shooting it and the number one item on his birthday list is a .44. Looks like grandpa may be hooking him up with an old super blackhawk from when I was a kid.
02AC514E-34B1-4E26-A4A6-77010181D84B.jpeg

Still launches 240 grain practice ammo faster than 10mm, haven't cooked up any hot loads for it as I haven't had a good excuse for them where the Army has me now:confused:
1BAB66BE-2F89-4218-AE2A-83036C737A26.jpeg

Surprisingly bear spray proves to be more effective than firearms (I never used to believe that until someone showed me the data). That being said I would carry he largest caliber you're comfortable with using hard cast rounds. Buffalo Bore does put out some good ammo. I have a co-worker than stumbled on a bear in Alaska (I do not recall what kind it was) and he killed it with a 9mm handgun, mainly because that is all he had. I'd personally opt for 44 mag or I'd carry my 4" S&W 500 but that is just me.
460 S&W

Unfortunately we no longer live in Grizz country (U of M class of 98), but we get back to Montana often. My wife still has family in Kalispell and we hike Glacier and the Bob often. Last year I had 2 bear encounters - my group came within 10 yards of grizzly while hiking Grinnell Trail. It came out of nowhere, but we were calm and it stood still until our group had passed before crossing the trail and heading towards the lake. For that hike I was carrying my 10mm, my brother-in-laws were carrying .44's and my sister-in-law and niece each had bear spray. We were prepared and had no issues.

Fast forward to deer season back in Pennsylvania and I had an encounter with a black bear that I hope I never repeat. I was lazy and didn't carry my sidearm this particular morning for archery. It was around 5:30 AM and very dark. As I was climbing my tree I heard rustling in the brush. Didn't think too much of it and continued to set up. As I was pulling up my bow up, a black bear exploded out of the brush and absolutely destroyed my bow. It huffed and circled my tree several times before walking off. It felt like forever for the sun to come up and even longer hiking back to my truck. Lesson to be learned - always have a sidearm with you when enjoying the outdoors.

I will pass on every bit of advice that all the people I personally know in Grizz country, along with my own experiences in grizz country. Most of my friends/close acquaintances that live and hunt in Montana, Alaska, and Idaho all carry a caliber that begin with "4" or "5"; 41 Mag, 44 mag, 45 Colt, 454 Cassull, 445 Ultra, 460 S&W, and 500 S&W. I personally carried a Blackhawk in 41 Mag with 215 grain slugs in a chest rig. I have been hearing rumblings from my compadres in Grizz country more than half of them are transitioning to Glock 20's (10MM) because they have more rounds and lighter top pack. the 10MM is comparable to a 41 mag in a semi-auto. I can not shoot the Glock platform so I would build a 45 Super or 460 Rowland in a Para-Ordnance, or a wide body Caspian with a 6" barrel. I will get the same amount of shots with a 200 or 230 grain 0.451" diameter slug.
I have been told that 180 grain hard cast and jacketed soft point slugs in the 357 Mag will keep a bear from getting any closer if you can put at least 4 shots in his face. but I can not confirm this. I have only hit 2 Gizzlies ever. those were with a 45-70 and a 338 win mag. I never had to use my side arm. I smelled the bear before he got too close.
My best advice is shoot what ever you are most familiar with, use proficiently, are accurate with, and practice with it until you are nearly as good with it as you are with your rifle. ALSO carry a long shot bear spray. in very close quarters it disorients the bear (can't smell and see) and you can either get out quick or the bear will turn around and "pinball" away.

Unfortunately we no longer live in Grizz country (U of M class of 98), but we get back to Montana often. My wife still has family in Kalispell and we hike Glacier and the Bob often. Last year I had 2 bear encounters - my group came within 10 yards of grizzly while hiking Grinnell Trail. It came out of nowhere, but we were calm and it stood still until our group had passed before crossing the trail and heading towards the lake. For that hike I was carrying my 10mm, my brother-in-laws were carrying .44's and my sister-in-law and niece each had bear spray. We were prepared and had no issues.

Fast forward to deer season back in Pennsylvania and I had an encounter with a black bear that I hope I never repeat. I was lazy and didn't carry my sidearm this particular morning for archery. It was around 5:30 AM and very dark. As I was climbing my tree I heard rustling in the brush. Didn't think too much of it and continued to set up. As I was pulling up my bow up, a black bear exploded out of the brush and absolutely destroyed my bow. It huffed and circled my tree several times before walking off. It felt like forever for the sun to come up and even longer hiking back to my truck. Lesson to be learned - always have a sidearm with you when enjoying the outdoors.

Wow that's pretty rare! I lived and hunted in WV for almost 20 years- mainly Hampshire County area. Usually when I spied a blackie it was a view of their rump bounding off. My buddy has a cabin waaay in the woods up near the Tea Table along the old Braddock Rd. in Hampshire and he had a pesky bear getting up on his porch and trying to get in. He had some 12 ga bean bags, snuck up along the corner of his house (wrap around deck) and shot the bugger in the arse, lol. He never came back :)

She rumbles pretty good, 2.2 just started shooting it and the number one item on his birthday list is a .44. Looks like grandpa may be hooking him up with an old super blackhawk from when I was a kid.
View attachment 197188
Still launches 240 grain practice ammo faster than 10mm, haven't cooked up any hot loads for it as I haven't had a good excuse for them where the Army has me now:confused:
View attachment 197189
I've got one of those and it's a beast, it tore a hole in my thumb before I got through the first cylinder. The second time out a week later it tore the wound open again on the second shot. It's the only pistol that's made me bleed shooting and I'm not recoil sensitive. That grip just rubbed my thumb wrong, I added some Pachmayr grips and it changed things. Even my 4" S&W 500 didn't tear up my hands like the 629.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.