Shower Tread Tape

Buffalobob

I bought a Kershaw knife because it was 50% off and seemed to have the correct shape of blade. The first thing I did was remove the pocket clip which then caused a problem to surface when it was used to field dress its first deer. The side where the pocket clip had been got extremely slick when coated with blood.

I pondered this problem and came up with two solutions - buy a new knife which I did (CRKT M-21) and find some type of water/blood resistant rough tape. What I found was 3M shower tread tape and bought the transparent version. I fixed up the one side and went and killed another deer. The tape worked very well and the knife felt much more secure in my hand (although it is still too narrow for my preference). The tape did not lift on the edges or slide around at all. This is a picture taken after it field dressed the second deer and was rinsed off. I do not know if it would withstand the dishwasher but I usually just rinse the knife in water and that is all it gets. If you try this remember to cut out the pivot pin so the tape does not drag on it.

I also decided to try it as a layer of shock absorber on a camera mount but have not field tested that yet.

showertape.jpg

showertape1.jpg

Neat idea...looks good. I prefer something more along the lines of a 5" bowie knife...fixed blade and crommet or oblong ring or whatever it's called sticking out that the your thumb and index finger press against thus lessoning the chance of my hand sliding forward and seriously cutting the inside of 4 fingers.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.