Show us your coyote SHOTGUNS.

SaskShooter

Yes, yes, this is LONGRANGEhunting.com, and I love shooting long range on anything I can (coyotes especially) but a 15 pound, 30 inch barrelled, bolt action .338 Lapua with a 5.5-22X50 scope is hardly the ideal tool when Mr. Wile E. Coyote is staring at you from 15 yards away, wondering why you don't smell like a dying rabbit.

So here's my question- Do you use a shotgun(s) for predator hunting? and what type of choke/load combo do you use?

POST PICS BELOW!

Attachments

• 477081_345769878821020_100001640319739_923157_1345525030_o.jpg
    477081_345769878821020_100001640319739_923157_1345525030_o.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 125
Yes, yes, this is LONGRANGEhunting.com, and I love shooting long range on anything I can (coyotes especially) but a 15 pound, 30 inch barrelled, bolt action .338 Lapua with a 5.5-22X50 scope is hardly the ideal tool when Mr. Wile E. Coyote is staring at you from 15 yards away, wondering why you don't smell like a dying rabbit.

So here's my question- Do you use a shotgun(s) for predator hunting? and what type of choke/load combo do you use?

POST PICS BELOW!

I like my old 12 Ga. model 1300 that i painted, and I use #6 bird shot, maybe a couple buck shot too, and maybe i'll have a slug in there too. LOL Whata heck, there's room for everybody.

Attachments

• DSC03165.JPG
    DSC03165.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 173
I like my old 12 Ga. model 1300 that i painted, and I use #6 bird shot, maybe a couple buck shot too, and maybe i'll have a slug in there too. LOL Whata heck, there's room for everybody.

You use #6? How far can that reach? I had used #2 lead, but I found it wasn't heavy enough to deliver a clean kill reach past about 25-30 yards. At least, not on large coyotes.

You use #6? How far can that reach? I had used #2 lead, but I found it wasn't heavy enough to deliver a clean kill reach past about 25-30 yards. At least, not on large coyotes.

Like I wrote there's enough room in my shotgun for everything and I don't care if its a clean kill the first shot on a yote.
He's just too close for my rifle, that's why a shotgun (named it Joanne, after my X wife). Cause its so **** mean...LOL
My son Killed a hog one night with it ; 12 Ga. #6 broadside shot, and it ran 100 yds and dropped..... I just use what I have for those varmints.
:)

Here is a adult female I called in, used my old Winchester Model 97, with 1 1/2" ounce of copper plated BB. Worked very well. Pattern good to just over 50 yards with a full choke. I also use a Beretta AL-2, 3" mag, with 1 7/8's ounce of copper plated BB, the group is tight to 70 yards. MEV

Attachments

• Female 111209.jpg
    Female 111209.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 161
We hunt quite a few varmint contests in TX. We use a turkey gun, a Rem 11-87 SuperMag 3 1/2" 12ga with Winchester #4 buck. There are 54 .24cal pellets in that shell. We usually set up so we can kill em way before they're shotgun close. We've only killed a few with the scattergun. A good friend of mine killed 6 in the daylight during one contest using that load. It SMOKED the ones we shot. Hope this helps

I forgot to say I'm currently using a Winchester SX2 3 1/2'' with a standard full choke, the pattern is only good to about 35-40 yards (averaging around 4-5 pellets in a 7 inch circle).

BUT the heaviest shot I have at the moment is Winchester Heavy Game 1 1/4 oz. #2 lead shot. I'm still trying to get my hands on some 3 1/2'' #4 buck or even heavy T shot shells, but that kinda ammo isn't easy to find out here.

The local Wholesale Sports carries very little variety in buckshot. You have two choices- 12 ga. 2 3/4'' 00 buck or 12 ga. 3'' 00 buck. Coyote loads are few and far between, most of the folks I've talked to look at me like I'm nuts when I mention using a scattergun for COYOTES!

I get my buckshot @ a Gander Mountain retail store bout 40 miles from where I live, so it's not too much of a problem. I don't use that many shells anyway. If you can get em, you might try heavy non tox waterfowl loads. NOT STEEL SHOT. Tungsten, bismuth, or something along those lines. They're not cheap, but neither is the right buckshot. Hevi-Shot's 3 1/2" Dead Coyote load is T shot. 50 something pellets in that shell, so it's similar in pellet count to the #4 buck I use. I know guys that shoot alot of grey foxes with BB shot in a 3 1/2" 12ga. They kill coyotes with it too. Hope you find somethin that works

Haha, but sir, you don't live in Canada! Getting ammo here isn't nearly so easy.

Shipments of anything "dangerous" get held up at the border for no apparent reason, and stay there for months! The shelves at sporting goods stores can become very bare, very fast, and nobody knows when or IF a new shipment will arrive. When ammo DOES arrive, people swoop down and scoop up 50% in the first week!

Thank God that a new Cabela's location will be opening soon, currently there is only one major sporting goods store within an hour of my place (Wholesale Sports), and when they run out of ammo- so do I.

WOW!!!!.... I didn't think about that. I just thought there was some waterfowl hunting in Sask, and thought waterfowl loads might be easier to get..... I know we've got it good, but don't realize HOW good we have it in TX

I used the same 12 gauge, 3" chamber, Mossberg 500 Turkey Special with a 20" barrel, for coyotes, that I use for turkeys. I switch the choke tubes from a H.S. Strut .665" to a Carlson's .680". The ammo is Dead Coyote Ts or Remington HD BBs...which both produce killing patterns out to 50 yards.

Anything that refuses to come in closer than 50 yards, gets hit with an 87gr. BT from my Stevens .25-06. :D

Turkey2.jpg

Bowhunter57

WOW!!!!.... I didn't think about that. I just thought there was some waterfowl hunting in Sask, and thought waterfowl loads might be easier to get..... I know we've got it good, but don't realize HOW good we have it in TX

Well there is certainly SOME waterfowl hunting here as in... GEESE BLOT OUT THE SUN waterfowl hunting.

Sadly most of the waterfowl shot is steel, and steel sucks on small critters, let alone coyotes! I supposed I COULD try some tungsten BBs or Ts, but it really hurts to shell out $3 or more per shot.

Update: I found some Challenger brand shells in 1-5/8 oz. 3-1/2'' lead BB in Canada, I'll have to special order them, but they SHOULD provide a fairly clean kill.

Still $1.15 per shot... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.