show a pic of that tripod Boyd

Butch
I have a P 17 enfield action. I was wondering what the difference is between it and the P 14 action on the 338-378 Rifle that you use in the PB # 2 video. Right now it is chambered in 30-338 min mag with a douglas barrel. will the P 17 handle the big boys like 338-378 or 338-416 rigby and who did you get to do the smithing on your rifle if you don't mind telling me.

Sod Buster

Try and go with a P14 with the Winchester or Remington stamp on it as 338 said.

We call these actions the "Mule" at the Williamsport 1000 yard range. Many "Big" calibers have been used with these actions without fail.

We tested them with loads right up to bolt lock up with the barreled action inside of a big earth mover tire and a long string on the trigger. Most other actions tested, Remington 700s, Mausers, P17s Winchester 70s all locked up long before the P14 did. It took 112 Grs of 4350 and a 250 gr 30 cal bullet to do it. A load that one would "not" use in the 30/378 even with a custom action.

I had 10 of those actions and they went like hot cakes. Sold them for $125.00 with Timney triggers 10 years ago.

I wouldn't try the P17 action for the Big case. P14 already has a large bolt face for mags.

DC

[ 05-25-2003: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

Hello Demar

Not that I know of so far.

The P14 would certainly handle it though.

Later
DC
smile.gif

thanks for the info guys well I guess that I will leave that one the way it is and use it for a carrying gun and wait for my other rifles to come Darryl what part of pa are you in I'm going to be coming up that way in the near future and would like to maybe get to meet. I know your a busy man though but I will let you know when I'm coming. again thanks for the info 338 and DC.Oh yeah 338 what does the ballistics program run in money.

Sod, type in JBM ballistics program into your address bar and it should come up. That`s the program that I was using to get on target at 1140yds. One problem that I had with it, though, was that the MOA it came up with would put me to shooting above the 8X8 backing of the target at that range. The B.C. figure that I put into the program was a guess. I know it`ll vary from gun to gun, but do any of you guys have a figure on a 216gr. Clinch River bullet? I`d figure the program should always be closer to real world than the experience that I`ve shared. If all else fails, the only other thing that I can think of is to use a program where the ballistics can be programmed into two different distances and come out with some closer ballistics maybe. Is it doable, anyone?
thanks Warren

Sod Buster

I'm in the North Central part of the State near (20 miles) the town of "Emporium" which is north. The town of Renova is 24 miles south and Lockhaven is 55 Miles south.
Shoot me an Email when your planning on being in the area.

DC
smile.gif

Thanks DC,

Now you've got me thinking of another project, if I could just get my hands on one of those actions.

Frank D
rolleyes.gif

I HAVE TO GET MY HANDS ON A RECENT COPY OF SHOTGUN NEWS. I LET THE SUBSCRIPTION EXPIRE. I SAW SARCO HAD THEM FROM AN OLD COPY BUT NOT TOO SURE HOW GOOD SARCO IS. THANKS FOR THE REPLY I WILL HAVE TO RENEW SHOTGUN NEWS AGAIN AND START LOOKING!!!

THANKS
FRANK D
confused.gif

THANKS 338-378

DO YOU HAVE A # FOR THEM, I ONLY HAVE AN OLD COPY OF SHOTGUN NEWS AND DON'T SEE THEM. I LET THE SUBSCRIPTION EXPIRE.

THANKS AGAIN
FRANK D

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.