Shoulder shots

I have made perfect heart shots on deer. Completely Disintegrated the heart. I mean in pieces. That deer ran almost 400 yards without a heart. I completely stoped heart and Lund shots. High shoulder shots for me. If the animals are under 300 yards I shoot them in the neck. Over 300 yards I shoot high shoulder.
FA6AA8C5-4A78-45B6-9C9F-882C93AA9F49.jpeg
This hog was taken at 997 yards with a 260 Remington 140 grain Berger bullets Hight shoulder shot.

I have always used the high shoulder shot so the spine is struck.
Very little meat is lost in 99% of cases I have witnessed.
The only time I don't use a shoulder shot is on frontal shots, where I aim just below the chin centered on the chest.

Even on pigs, goats & DG I want to anchor the animal right there with both shoulders hit if possible, but one hit shoulder is often all that's needed for loss of locomotion.

Cheers.
I always go for a shoulder shot to put them down right where they stand if I wanted to chase them down would stick to bow hunting don't like chasing a wounded deer or any other animal

If you are an excellent marksman and the conditions are perfect then why shoot a shoulder when a spine shot will bring down your target instantly with less meat damage.
I would recommend a lung shot every time. Without both lungs your target will not get far. Oh they are the largest organ also easy target.
What's why everyone is saying high shoulder shots

My mantra is that I want all the hunting to take place before the shot. I don't want to hunt for the animal after the shot. That being said, and lots of animals through the freezer, in all but two cases did I take anything other than a shoulder shot, Even on quartering away and quartering towards. I want them to stay in the spot that I last saw them. The two exceptions were on two huge antlered whitetails. Both walking away. One was fairly close and had walked out nearly under my stand. It was on a trail and was obvious it wasn't going to give me a look at its shoulder, So I aimed a the back of its neck a couple of inches from the skull. Instant kill. The other was walking away, again on a trail, getting ready to disappear into a thicket. I was shooting from a rest and aimed at the center of the butt. The bullet exited the front chest scrambling everything all the way through. Those two were my only exceptions.
On the subject of pigs. I raise pigs and regularly dispatch pigs in the 400 - 650 lb range. I've taken advantage of the opportunities to use many calibers and many points of aim. The most effective has been a 2 3/4" .410 slug between the eyes, following that a .44mag between the eyes has worked, but not as quickly and effectively as the slug. I have a deer stand near the pig pen and from the stand experimented with a 30-06 with 165gr partitions and a .270 with 150gr partitions. Aiming immediately behind the ear has usually severed the spine, ending things quickly. With the .410 you need to be fairly close, so for a hunting situation it isn't practical.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.