Shoulder mount or Euro mount?

My poor kids last yearHe can't afford mnt

Attachments

• 87DC8E58-CA3F-4A64-BFBF-CE8150BCA999.jpeg
    87DC8E58-CA3F-4A64-BFBF-CE8150BCA999.jpeg
    1,003.1 KB · Views: 64
Well done! Of course, do what you'd like but we love to do our own european mounts as the others do. It makes it even more satisfying and memorable for all the work involved with the hunt.

Thats a personal preference. If a white tail is 5 1/2 or older and 10 point or better then I will pay to mount them but that opportunity only happens once every 5 to 10 years for me. Anything else I euro mount. I killed this one during muzzle loader season. I know people who would have mounted it. I also know people who would never mount a deer regardless of how big it is. Also, I am not married so I can put them on the walls in my house. Nothing more telling than a garage full of mounts.

Attachments

• 20201222_054527.jpg
    20201222_054527.jpg
    825.6 KB · Views: 37
Wondering if you decided yet. Doesn't sound like you have too many shoulder mounts yet. You can get there though unless you have a big place with a lot of wall space. Euros take up a lot less space.

If you go for taxidermy, make sure you get a good taxidermist. That means an artist, not just a person who can hang a hide on a foam form.

I can't decide if this deer is worth the cost of a shoulder mount. It was great hunt, first mule deer but it's not a big deer either. I waited 6 years for this tag.
what would you do?View attachment 227476View attachment 227477View attachment 227478
As long as you have the antlers, you can decide at any time to get a shoulder mount. I have my first decent mule deer from 1985. Kept the antlers all this time, and now that I'm a skilled taxidermist I'm ready to mount it. Found a cape and got the form just need the time.

^^^A point I didn't bring up but almost did. You can even get the cape tanned and save it for later, if now is not the time to do a mount. Just keep enough skull for a taxidermist to be able to do the mount. Doing a Euro for now would not negate that.

I did end up taking in for a shoulder mount. I have euro mounts and 1 other shoulder mount. The euro mount was from a nice 5x5 whitetail that just kinda happened when sitting in a belt row and it walked out. Nothing crazy. The mount I have now is a once in a lifetime ND elk 6x6. Truly a memory I never want to forget.
I decided to have it shoulder mounted because of all the work put forth in that hunt, all the miles hiked, first ever pack out, such a stock that was put on the deer to get close. I wanted to preserve the memory of this "special to me" hunt.

Enjoy it! All good reasons. It was a trophy hunt, lots of good memories and hard work. Those are always a prize to take home. Even better to have success.

Looking at the only shoulder mount I have in the house (limited space), my DYI bighorn brings back that 3 week backpack adventure. In fact those two rams from our DYI hunt are side by side on the only wall available. My second ram, though better in the horn department, is a Euro - for a few reasons besides just space: my first ram was dark chocolate and a taxidermy competition blue ribbon mount by an artist; I like European mounts (the biologist in me); and with that ram down low on an end table it can be touched, hefted, and admired very close up. I had a memorable pronghorn done as a shoulder mount years ago, but now that it is not in my office at work, it is relegated to the garage; no wall space inside.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.