Shoulder damage after firing.

epags

Bought at auction in 1979 for $85 a sporterized Enfield #4 Mk1 in 303 British. Original owner had replaced military sights with commercial sights, restocked it with Bishop's walnut stock with an inset silver cross.

It needed re-crowning, bluing and a trigger job. It went in and out of my safe over the past 20 years whenever I was bored. Without any thought of resale, over time, I invested (sunk) another $200+ for a blue job, the purchase of a 303 crowning tool, a side scope mount and a replacement trigger. See photos.

I took it to the range this past week and while it was getting 1.25" MOA it was damaging the brass, both my reloads and new commercial rounds.

I cycled an unfired round through the chamber and there was no damage to the shoulder. However, upon firing, there was shoulder damage at the 6 o'clock position.

Because my wife loves me and the comments on this blog, I bought a Teslong bore scope from Amazon (really neat toy) to see if I could identify the problem. See photos.

I don't know what to think. Looks like something is sticking up at the shoulder. Damage only occurs after firing. Do I need to get a chamber reamer? Can the obstruction be scrubbed out with JB bore cleaning compound? Your thoughts and suggestions will be most appreciated.

Attachments

• Rifle right.jpg
    Rifle right.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 126
  • Dent #1.jpg
    Dent #1.jpg
    998.7 KB · Views: 128
  • Dent #2.jpg
    Dent #2.jpg
    725.5 KB · Views: 121
  • Bore #1.jpg
    Bore #1.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 121
  • Bore #2.jpg
    Bore #2.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 126
If the brass damage is that little bump outward at the neck/shoulder junction then I would say there's a chunk of steel missing in the chamber.

If the brass damage is that little bump outward at the neck/shoulder junction then I would say there's a chunk of steel missing in the chamber.
I do believe you are right. Upon firing the brass is forced into the divot? Suspect there is no easy fix? Just use and dump the fired brass?

Just received new mirrors for my endoscope. This photo indicated there was some kind of damage to the chamber shoulder (at 6 oclock) that is not a divot but a material buildup that is creating the damage to the fired round.
Appreciate any suggestions/thoughts on how it may have occurred (before I bought it) and how how to get reduce/eliminate the material.
Shoulder damage.jpg
Dent #1.jpg
Dent #1.jpgShoulder damage.jpg

JB's bore paste won't touch that. I can't imagine how that raised metal could have been created either. Can you get a straightened paper clip with a short bend at the tip into the shoulder and feel it?
If your confident the barrel isn't fractured looking from the outside (stock removed) I would look up a Smith that can review it for safety. Then I would imagine the barrel would need to be set back, chamber reamed and test fired.
Scratching my head on this one.
It could be a foreign object could be stuck there, multiple firings have just pounded it on.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.