Shoulder Bump?

Nape.270

I am reloading for a .257 Wyb and want to bump the shoulder back a .001 or so.

I have a full lenght redding die and am thanking about boring it out to make it a shoulder bump die.

? 1. Has any one dun this did it work and would you do it agen?

? 2. How hard are the dies on the rockwell seale?

What you're looking at doing is difficult, besides messing up a good die. The body die is cheap enough if that is what you want.

I think I got my 257 Wby Redding body die from Graf last year and it only took the normal amount of time. I got a Forster neck die. What I use mostly is the Redding body die with a Lee 25-06 collet die. You may need to do a little work on the collet so it will clear the shoulder better.

A guy who only ever once in a while posts here named "Hired Gun" recommended using the 25-06 Lee die for the 257 Wby and I do that. He said you had to bore the shoulder area out just a tiny bit. I have not done that as I do not see where I am catching the shoulder but the guy seems to know a lot of stuff so I still wonder if I need to. I have not reloaded a lot of cartridges for that rifle so I do not make too many claims one way or the other. You should PM him for details.

What I do know is that Wby brass is soft and it is easy to pull the neck out of alignment with the regular expander ball. The Lee collet is good for sloppy people like me.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.