Should I use these primers ?

Bear62041

I can't find small rifle primers ANYWHERE. Rummaging thru my loading bench in my garage I discovered 2 boxes of 100 each of CCI that are probably 7 years old. Additionally they are stored in my unheated garage so they've been subject to conditions from "0" degrees during the winter to probably 100 degrees in the summer here in Iowa. But they have not suffered excessive humidity beyond a typical Iowa summer inside the garage. I'm excited to load some 350 legend for my new Ruger Ranch Rifle. What do you guys think ?

Are these safe or should I dump 'em in a can of oil and get rid of them ? Anyone know where I might find a couple of boxes of fresh primers ?

Thanks to all, I really enjoy this forum.

As far as safe goes if they are not cankered they should be safe. Now as to will they fire or how consistent will they be you will just have to load some up and shoot them. I personally would not use them for any serious ammo like self defense or big game hunting but for paper punching or varmints I would use them. I was given some CCI small pistol primers once that were at least 10 years old and had been in an outside shed subject to all weather conditions. I used them for plinking and paper punching but every one of them fired and shot just as good as a new primer. So who knows about yours?

I can't find small rifle primers ANYWHERE. Rummaging thru my loading bench in my garage I discovered 2 boxes of 100 each of CCI that are probably 7 years old. Additionally they are stored in my unheated garage so they've been subject to conditions from "0" degrees during the winter to probably 100 degrees in the summer here in Iowa. But they have not suffered excessive humidity beyond a typical Iowa summer inside the garage. I'm excited to load some 350 legend for my new Ruger Ranch Rifle. What do you guys think ?

Are these safe or should I dump 'em in a can of oil and get rid of them ? Anyone know where I might find a couple of boxes of fresh primers ?

I have primers that are close to 30 years old and we're stored in my basement, I use them for hunting and target shooting, and thankfully knock on wood. Never ever had one that didn't function properly. I'd say if the humidity wasn't bad there you should be good to go. Just my $.02 worth

They will be fine.I had a box of 500 primed 6.5 Creedmoor get under water for 2 weeks during a flood (Harvey)Then set 6 months.They c were are black and cruddie.I threw them in my Frankford Arsenal Steel pun and soap and water to clean then up.I deprimed a couple and then I threw all them in my dehydrator. After all clean and dry I put a few inside rifle .All went b ang.I loaded up a few.All shot just fine.I shot a of them and they all shot fine and there was no change in velocities,point of impact or anything.I think OIL is about the only thing that will harm them.Soap and water will not.

I know of only one way to find out, shoot them. However, I probably wouldn't use them for Hunting ammo. Ive shot CCI Primers that are several and more years old without any problems.