Should I try different primers?

Alan Griffith

I'm nearing the end of load develpment for the 200 gr Partition for my 30-06 Ackley Imp. I first ran some 300 yard ladders. Then, picked some likely candidates and verified them at 300 yds.

Today, the weather was dang near perfect for such a test; sun at my 6, temps in the 20's to low 30's, wind light to variable (nothing over 2 mph). I completed a seating depth test, settling on .020" off the lands. It gives me a 10-shot 2.87" group at 300 yds with an extreme spread of 23, average vel of 2853 fps and an SD of 8.

My load is 68.4 gr of H1000, hit by a FEDERAL 210MATCH primer in Winchester cases. I'm thinking of trying different primers to see if I can improve on it but I started thinking, "Should I?, it's pretty good now". Besides, 200 gr Partitions are not cheap.

What think theee?

Primers

Alan,

I've experiemented a little with different primers. The last time was with a 700P in 300WM. The rifle shot outstanding for a factory gun(1/4moa). I took some different loads and tried CCI Mag, WLR, WLRM, and Fed 215GMMs. The 215 GMMs gave the lowest SD and the best accuracy with the loads I tried during that test. I think any time you are running over 60 grns of powder you may want to just try a few 215s and see what the chrony and paper reveal.

Good Luck

Reloader

. It gives me a 10-shot 2.87" group at 300 yds with an extreme spread of 23, average vel of 2853 fps and an SD of 8.

A near moa group at 300 yards with the Partition is not too bad in my experience. Without measuring bearing surface of each one and weighing each one, this would be acceptable. Partitions aren't the worlds most accurate long range bullet. Or close range for that matter.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.