Should I shoot It?

Just had a rifle come into my hands that I can't find a lot of info on. It's a Steyr- Daimler .243 that a buddy of mine thought I could use for p-dogs. It's seems to be in really good condition, just needs a cleaning. The problem is that the magazine is stamped Abercrombie & Fitch Co. New-York Made in Austria. I was describing it to the local coffee shop gun guru and he told me not to shoot it, as it is collectable. Having never owned a gun I didn't shoot, I figured I'd see what fellas here had to say. I appreciate any and all info. Thanks

Does it have a double, set trigger? Probably is collectable to some extent. Does it have a scope mount and is it offset?
db

Does it have a double, set trigger? Probably is collectable to some extent. Does it have a scope mount and is it offset?
db
No on the double set trigger. Yes on the scope mount, one I haven't seen. The reticule adjustment are made from the mount not the scope. Leupold mount with a Bausch & Laumb scope. Before my time and I can't find much info online.

If the rifle has been shot before, I would go ahead and shoot it. The only collectable that you should not shoot if you wish to maintain maximum value, is one that is original, as new, and "unfired". Keeping it in good shape and shooting it should not change it's value if it's been shot before.

Without seeing it I would venture a guess of $500 to $600 as long as the wood is ok. So I would shoot a few rounds through it and check it for accuracy and use it. I would however stay away from the new hyper velocity loads not knowing how these actions were heat treated.
Db

Last edited:
If the rifle has been shot before, I would go ahead and shoot it. The only collectable that you should not shoot if you wish to maintain maximum value, is one that is original, as new, and "unfired". Keeping it in good shape and shooting it should not change it's value if it's been shot before.
That is my feeling also, but rarely can I not find info on the net about a weapon, so I figured I would error on the side of caution and see what the forum thought. Thanks

Without seeing it I would venture a guess of $500 to $600 as long as the wood is ok. So I would shoot a few rounds through it and check it for accuracy and use it. I would however stay away from the new hyper velocity loads not knowing how these actions were heat treated.
Db
Are you familiar with this weapon or did you find something on it online? I have found a couple like it, but not exact. I am guessing it was produced in the forties for Abercrombie & Fitch for their store line, but I can't verify it. A guy here in Arizona will do a background on it for $100, but I don't know if it is worth it. Let me know what you think. Thanks

Do you have a good gunsmith you can ask? I have gone this route before with good results. Most older, good gunsmiths have forgotten more than I will ever learn.

Are you familiar with this weapon or did you find something on it online? I have found a couple like it, but not exact. I am guessing it was produced in the forties for Abercrombie & Fitch for their store line, but I can't verify it. A guy here in Arizona will do a background on it for $100, but I don't know if it is worth it. Let me know what you think. Thanks

Just a guess from on line resources and auction houses. The high dollar guns have very fancy wood as well as double set triggers.
Take it to a gun show. Even if you were told it was worth $2000 dollars would you not shoot it? I would at least run some rounds through it.
Db

I read this forum it's really nice and informative i really like it i get most of useful information from it which can prove beneficial for me i was need some similar post's but i get your post on first search on Google search engine it's fulfill my need i really appreciate it and keep it up!!!

Just a guess from on line resources and auction houses. The high dollar guns have very fancy wood as well as double set triggers.
Take it to a gun show. Even if you were told it was worth $2000 dollars would you not shoot it? I would at least run some rounds through it.
Db
Update- After putting ten rounds inside .5 moa at 100 yds., I think I'm keeping it for a while.I sent the gun to a pro here in Arizona to find out more about it. Have yet to receive anything, but appreciate all the supplied info. This thing is a shooter.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.