Should I send this back for warranty work?

Tac-O

All you gunsmiths....

Here is a picture of my kids'savage axis I bought for them in March. It's still within the warranty period. I've shot about 250 rounds through it. It hasn't been accurate since around 50-75 rounds. The best I can get it to shoot now is about 2.5" at 100. I've checked all the standard boxes.... Degreased all bolts and surfaces, used torque wrench to spec on action screws and scope rings, etc. The bolt lug contact isn't all that uniform, but the muzzle looks like it would be causing more issues than the bolt lugs. When shooting, I'm on bags with the front bag nearly under the magazine so that the flimsy foreend doesn't hit the barrel.

I've only cleaned it with bore safe cleaners.... Sharp shootrs wipe out, etc. I cleaned it with that about every 25 rounds and stored it with a light layer of oil. So, I don't think it's regular pitting. Someone else said they thought it was barrel rot, which is defective steel that has inclusions. They will come out of the steel when shooting, similar to how the aggregate rock in concrete will eventually come out over time.

I called Savage and they said it's a 3 week turn around time. My kids' season starts beginning of October.

Should I send this back to Savage? I think it would be worth it, right? Surely they would replace the barrel under warranty?

Attachments

• Photo_2.jpg
    Photo_2.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 953
  • Photo_29.jpg
    Photo_29.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 931
Send it in.
If you let it go, it will always remain a low-value, inaccurate gun.
In the meantime.....

That seems like a pretty fine deal! I handled a used TC venture in the store the other day and I was surprised by the quality. I always thought they were pretty low end guns, but maybe they're not... I'm just not familiar with them.

That barrel is fine. I've had new barrels that scoped far worse in still shot MOA.

Reinforce the fore end with threaded rod and JB weld to get rid of the flop.

If it shot well when new, it still will. Looks like minor pitting. Buy a Dave Tubbs final finish kit to get rid of that.

Have yet to meet a Savage that won't shoot. I have a 308 with cross hatching in the bore that is terrible. Still drops 5 Fed GMM in 1 hole @100.

Sometimes a picture like that is from liquid in the bore. Could you run a few dry patches through the bore and have another look?

Sometimes a picture like that is from liquid in the bore. Could you run a few dry patches through the bore and have another look?

I did that multiple times. Then cleaned again, then flushed with brake cleaner, then drypatched multiple times. Then let it dry overnight without oiling. They're definitely there!

That barrel is fine. I've had new barrels that scoped far worse in still shot MOA.

Reinforce the fore end with threaded rod and JB weld to get rid of the flop.

If it shot well when new, it still will. Looks like minor pitting. Buy a Dave Tubbs final finish kit to get rid of that.

Have yet to meet a Savage that won't shoot. I have a 308 with cross hatching in the bore that is terrible. Still drops 5 Fed GMM in 1 hole @100.

Have you had barrels with pitted up crowns that shot well?

I don't want to make any modifications to it because if it won't shoot well enough then I'd like to sell it or have savage replace the barrel under warranty.

I understand savages have a great reputation for shooting well despite having gun drill marks and other rough patches in the bore, but I don't think that it would be typical QA/QC procedure at savage to let a barrel go through that has a pitted muzzle and crown. This gun hasn't seen any moisture and has always been stored in low humidity with oil in the bore, so I know it's it from me.

Couple of thoughts, if the barrel suddenly lost accuracy at 50-75 rounds then the barrel condition may or may not have caused the change. With all the torques having been checked that may leave another mechanical problem or the scope itself. Another common reported problem in the axis has been defective firing pin springs causing light strikes & ftf.
Shipping it back might cost you $30-$50 on your dime, with no guarantee you will get it back in time to get it ready for hunting season.
That shipping money would give you a head start on purchase of another one. Recently heard of Wallyworld selling them for $125.
If you could purchase a second one then you might have more time to research the old one. The pitting is not good but as others have said it looks better than most savage barrels. I have seen some really ugly rust pitted barrels shoot 1 moa or better.
Just some thoughts.
You have to have a good shooter for your son before hunting season!

My family owns 3 Axis rifles. All are fine shooters. I zero ours supporting them by the fore end, since the barrels are free floating.
If all of your scope rings & mounts are tight, if your scope hasn't blown out, if you're shooting the same ammo you zeroed with & if you're cleaning the bolt face, then it about has to be build up in the barrel. JMO
Get a return authorization number, (not necessary but expedites things along), & return it. They'll fix it.

It is a Savage Axis. They are built so guys that can't afford a bore scope can still get the kids in the deer woods. I am not saying that is a nice looking barrel, but how many Axis' have you scoped? That might be a good one. Do they have an MOA guarantee on those? I have an Axis in .308 that looks similar. The stock is a wet noodle, the trigger is like a stick on a box trap, and the barrel looks like it was rifled with a chisel. Even with the combo scope it shoots pretty good. They are made to shoot good enough. Some shoot lights out. Sounds like you may have just gotten what you paid for?

I would send it in and have Savage look at it, BUT, they might say it meets specs. Or they might screw a new barrel on. If you are in a serious time crunch, and don't have a back up, then you have a decision to make. I'm still amazed by the accuracy of the Savage products...have a Stevens 200 in 223, that at 100, will honestly shoot right at 1/4". $189.00 when new. I would send it back, then after season, if the gun will be used for a couple years by the kids, put a Criterion or other barrel on it....I have 5-6 Savages, factory and custom builds, and all of them shoot under an inch easily....rsbhunter

All you gunsmiths....

Here is a picture of my kids'savage axis I bought for them in March. It's still within the warranty period. I've shot about 250 rounds through it. It hasn't been accurate since around 50-75 rounds. The best I can get it to shoot now is about 2.5" at 100. I've checked all the standard boxes.... Degreased all bolts and surfaces, used torque wrench to spec on action screws and scope rings, etc. The bolt lug contact isn't all that uniform, but the muzzle looks like it would be causing more issues than the bolt lugs. When shooting, I'm on bags with the front bag nearly under the magazine so that the flimsy foreend doesn't hit the barrel.

I've only cleaned it with bore safe cleaners.... Sharp shootrs wipe out, etc. I cleaned it with that about every 25 rounds and stored it with a light layer of oil. So, I don't think it's regular pitting. Someone else said they thought it was barrel rot, which is defective steel that has inclusions. They will come out of the steel when shooting, similar to how the aggregate rock in concrete will eventually come out over time.

I called Savage and they said it's a 3 week turn around time. My kids' season starts beginning of October.

Should I send this back to Savage? I think it would be worth it, right? Surely they would replace the barrel under warranty?
Did you check the muzzle for dings when using a cleaning jag? My gunsmith noticed it on my .308 Model 742 Woodsmaster,and he crowned the muzzle- back to it's old self

All you gunsmiths....

my 2 Savages. Bed that rifle into a nice Boyd's stock and get rid of that cheap factory stock. Did you check the inside of the stock to make sure there are no cracks or issues there?

BC9027FA-7A4F-471E-BC19-836751B51138.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.