Should I really be talking myself out of a 300 win mag??!!

JJMoody

I am progressing on my first dedicated LR hunting rig at the pace of a determined glacier, mostly running performance/cost/barrel life numbers ad nauseum. Mostly for elk and deer here in Idaho with some lead-based rock art thrown in for practice and fun. I've been going round and round with all the possibilities of a 300 NM, win mag, 30 Nosler WSM etc... Brass availability horsepower efficiency projectile choices -- on and on. I seem to keep ending back up at the 300 win mag for a cartridge choice. Maybe it's the belt, maybe it's not sexy enough "It's 40 year old technology"... Is there any REAL reason I shouldn't be looking at this round? I plan on using a BAT HRPIC action (they're local for me and make awesome stuff!!) and the rest is Still in the air. Should I really look any further than the win mag???

It's a very good choice, in spite of being 40 years old, not sexy, bigger faster options out there. It's in my mind the "standard" against which all others are compared.

I think the 300WM is an excellent choice. It is a proven round with a wealth of information available and wide range of bullet weights.

One of the things I like about the 300WM is the availability of ammo should something happen to your ammo on a trip. Can't say the same about the 30 Nosler or some of the short cartridges. I love the .30-06 for the same reason.

I like the 300 WM and am building another. Aside from components being everywhere it is a powerful round with a proven track record and can be shot comfortably without a brake.

I use Brux barrels and am satisfied with their performance on other rifles. Just food for thought!

JJ

I've got a little different take on your dilemma. Variety is the spice of life! I would go with the 30 Nosler. I think the case design Nosler came up with for their new series of new cartridges is pretty good. They all work in a standard length action but deliver top end power. (Love my 28 Nosler.)

Brass is actually easy to get as Nosler is supporting their cartridges by making their own brass (rumored to actually be made by Norma for Nosler). I've got 300 pieced of 28 Nosler brass sitting here which is more than enough and I bought it all off the shelf at Sportsmans right after the 28 Nosler came out. Anyway, while it is expensive brass, it is top drawer stuff with minimal weight variation and is ready to load.

I am progressing on my first dedicated LR hunting rig at the pace of a determined glacier, mostly running performance/cost/barrel life numbers ad nauseum. Mostly for elk and deer here in Idaho with some lead-based rock art thrown in for practice and fun. I've been going round and round with all the possibilities of a 300 NM, win mag, 30 Nosler WSM etc... Brass availability horsepower efficiency projectile choices -- on and on. I seem to keep ending back up at the 300 win mag for a cartridge choice. Maybe it's the belt, maybe it's not sexy enough "It's 40 year old technology"... Is there any REAL reason I shouldn't be looking at this round? I plan on using a BAT HRPIC action (they're local for me and make awesome stuff!!) and the rest is Still in the air. Should I really look any further than the win mag???

Another vote for the .300 WM; it's hard to beat and has been my go to chambering from antelope to elk size game up to 1000 yards.

Do a custom search on the top right hand corner for "Comparing Berger 210 VLD to 215 Hybrid by BROZ".

Another vote for the .300 WM; it's hard to beat and has been my go to chambering from antelope to elk size game up to 1000 yards.

Do a custom search on the top right hand corner for "Comparing Berger 210 VLD to 215 Hybrid by BROZ".

I'd get a win mag. Easy to find ammo and components and it works. Sure a Norma or nosler may be a hair hotter but compare the ballistics at whatever max range you think you'll shoot and ask yourself if it's worth it.

I appreciate the responses folks! All great input. I may have just needed that extra little nudge to let me know it's not the wrong answer. Identifying the intended range is tricky. I think as soon as I hit that goal, it'll move farther and farther out. I'm also coming to the conclusion that this is only a start and it doesn't have to be the one and only build... Now I just need to persuade my wife to come to that same conclusion!!

Feenix, thanks for the link. 54 pages of awesome! Not through it yet, but it's really getting my attention on this round..... Again

300WM for sure. I understand your dilemma had the same issue a few months ago. New build and through I wanted something a bit more exotic than a 300 WM. I read up on many of the more exotic rounds and the more I read the more I came back to center on the 300. My build is a month from completion. I'm content with my decision and it provides me the opportunity to BUILD ANOTHER.​

Why WOULDN'T you?????

Oh yeah, the military/special forces uses that caliber for a reason.......:)

Randy

I know right??!! There's a reason I keep coming back to it. Every time you see a new 30 come out, it's always trying to frame up how it's better than a 300 win mag. "The WSM produces nearly the same velocity in a shorter action... Build it n a long one, seat bullets out and give it some freebore it's a great Br/hunting rifle and almost a win mag. Great barrel life" or the 30 nosler "unbelted cartridge suitable for use in standard length mags and almost a win mag." The RUM " simply more horsepower" shoots 230s flatter. Just a little better than the win mag." 300NM great performance etc... On and on,
always comparing against the win mag!!!lightbulb so many mousetraps to look at. Variety is certainly the spice of life and it's fun to explore and try and all those wonderful things stretching limits and so forth, but like HARPER said, it is the standard by which all others are judged. I just began to wonder why I keep trying to talk myself out of it.

I too have been going round and round with this round... I decided on the 300 wm, now my only dilemma is which gun to get. I was looking at savage older remingtons and now just came across Tikka which I am starting to like more and more.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.