Should I have my barrel "set back"?

KQguy

I have a Savage chambered to a 7mmWSM,and I have over 1300 rds. down the barrel.Recently I had to add 9/10 of a grain of H1000 to get my velocity and accuracy back to where it was when I developed the load.It shoots great again (1/2 moa at 600yds.)But, I am running out of case capacity to keep adding powder periodically,to keep the velocity and accuracy up,due to throat erosion.So,my question is,once I run out of case capacity,should I have it rebarreled,or save some money,and have the barrel cut down and set back?

KQ, my 300 WM did the same thing and I chased the leade for about .050 to .060 until I ran out of room in the magazine. Then I figured it was time for a new barrel. I am not sure how well it would work out rechambering a bbl with that many rounds down it, someone else may have that information. I think I would worry about the condition of the rifling over the long run. Also, not sure, but it would seem that the steel in the chamber area would be softer and may not hold up as well. Just a guess though.

I was just wanting to hear from some guy's that have had their barrels set back,so they can tell me if it is worth doing it or not.

It really depends what your goal is with that barrel. If you set back, you lose length. Question #1, how long is it now, and #2, do you need to get back up to your former max velocity to be happy with it?

If your load was already near the upper end, and you had say a 26" tube, when you set it back you likely will not be able to achieve the original velocity. If you're goal is max range this may be a deal killer. If losing a few fps is acceptable to get another 800-1000 rounds out of the barrel before the full expense of a new barrel (total estimate on my part, with no experience here), then go for it.

IMO, it is more than your goal at stake here.

You really cannot make a good call UNLESS you look at the throat and next few inches with a borescope. That will tell you if it can be set back at all.

However, the 7WSM is a notorious barrel burner and I would guess you are going to find firecracking way up past the throat if you already have 1300 rounds down it.

BH

I would go with a new barrel, as I am sure that there is throat erosion down the throat further past the point of setting it back. The new barrel would only cost you an additional 300.00 as the gunsmithing fees will be the same for either barrel. I would rather pay the gunsmithing fees toward a new barrel job.

OK,you guy's are probably right,I will just plan on replacing the barrel when the time comes.Thanks for the help.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.