Should I get a 6.5 PRC

Don't do it! I'm having a hard enough time finding components, and you'll just make it worse! My advice is send everything you have to me. Seriously, it is a great caliber. I strongly recommend it. I have already shot out one barrel and waiting on a new one now. Barrel life is slightly less than Creedmoor, but you're gaining speed and the ability to run the big bullets effectively. The PRC needs a pretty aggressive cleaning schedule, especially with RL26. As far as brass, it's a problem, but its getting better. I actually got my hands on some pre-production brass from Peterson, and it is really good stuff but I don't know when they will go into full production on it. I used Hornady brass exclusively in the first barrel and averaged 12-15 reloads on it, so it's pretty good stuff also. I say build it, you will love it.

The 6.5 PRC will likely be the most common "magnum" 6.5 mm in the future. Reasonable performance for long range hunting and targeting. It is a very good efficient design and will satisfy most shooters. I wanted a 6.5 that had more performance than the CM for long range precision rifle hunting and targeting, but not a 26 Nosler or 6.5 Wby, (🤫 which is where I would normally want to be). The PRC will be worth the wait if you want a good solid factory round that is set up for current high bc precision bullets. I love mine!

Summer of 2020 I picked up a used 6.5PRC prefit for a TL3/SR3 - It's a Proof Research carbon fiber barrel, that started life as a 6.5x47L.
It shoots great, but the gun, fully assembled is about 1lb more than my Rem 700 Mountain Rifle in .280Rem. That doesn't sound like a lot, but it's noticeable at the end of the day...and really at the end of the week. So I'll probably sell the barrel and the Hornady ammo/brass when I get around to taking pictures of it all. I don't need it right now - not for Pennsylvania Deer and Bear. Plus, right now I'm interested in a short/stubby rifle...7mm-08 or .308 with an 18" barrel. That would be pretty fun and handy.

Anyway, I like the cartridge - really fast, really flat. Recoil was similar to my .280Rem, but the 6.5PRC snaps more. I assume this is due to powder type and case design.

Summer of 2020 I picked up a used 6.5PRC prefit for a TL3/SR3 - It's a Proof Research carbon fiber barrel, that started life as a 6.5x47L.
It shoots great, but the gun, fully assembled is about 1lb more than my Rem 700 Mountain Rifle in .280Rem. That doesn't sound like a lot, but it's noticeable at the end of the day...and really at the end of the week. So I'll probably sell the barrel and the Hornady ammo/brass when I get around to taking pictures of it all. I don't need it right now - not for Pennsylvania Deer and Bear. Plus, right now I'm interested in a short/stubby rifle...7mm-08 or .308 with an 18" barrel. That would be pretty fun and handy.

Anyway, I like the cartridge - really fast, really flat. Recoil was similar to my .280Rem, but the 6.5PRC snaps more. I assume this is due to powder type and case design.
308 and 7-08 switch barrel I just built. 18" 308 barrel is on it in the photo below and I have a 22" 7-08 barrel I can screw on in 5 minutes.

Attachments

• 7A1A02F4-ADEB-4260-B43B-31F52600EB5B.jpeg
    7A1A02F4-ADEB-4260-B43B-31F52600EB5B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 92
  • F442ABA2-0B7B-4D69-9D8D-1165A0F97CE3.jpeg
    F442ABA2-0B7B-4D69-9D8D-1165A0F97CE3.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 101
Don't get me wrong, I love my PRC but I e had Lapua brass on backorder through Eurooptic for 10 months. Unless I missed it, we don't know what you're hunting. For deer I'd take the cheaper ammo of the creedmoor and get more practice.

I have 6.5 Creedmoor, 260 Remington and 6.5-284 already so no need for the 6.5 PRC.
My buddy has a 6.5 PRC. Shoots fine. We shot his PRC along side of my 6.5-284 from 200-1000 yards.
Our dope sheets are about identical out to 1000 yards.