Should I get a 6.5 PRC

Hugnot

My concerns are brass availability - I have a nice donor Ruger MKII magnum face, action that feeds my one dummy range brass 6.5 PRC round perfectly and a McGowen 6.5, 8 twist, Douglas #5, Ruger MKII threaded but unchambered barrel is waiting for me at McGowen.

The 6.5 PRC round looks so nice!

My thoughts are to not proceed unless I have 100 rounds or so of 6.5 PRC brass secured. I have a modest amount of VN165, PP4000MR, R-S Magnum, RL23, & about 1 pound of H1000. My uses would be shooting steel out to 1,000 with 140's & rodents with 120 grain ELDM's.

Is there a brass source that I have not found? Will more brass, especially Lapua, be available in December 2021?

Last edited:
Brass is becoming more available. I had a tough time at first but in the last few months both Hornday and Lapua started showing up in various places.

Get one! I just built one and I've found some ammo around for about 50 a box. I've got 100 pieces of brass so far and another 100 rounds to shoot.

I bought a 6.5 PRC in a Mauser18. I got it around January. I had a hard time finding brass at first. Around May I got 50 Nosler Brass from Graf & sons. In July Hornady ammo started showing up sports stores here. I bought about six boxes and worked on loads and setting up my rifle. In Sept I picked up 100 Lapua brass at a local store and cancelled a backorder I had put in March with an online seller.
I have plenty of brass now but it will be next year working on loads. I like the round. Hard to get bullets now but I use the ones I got for my Creedmoor. Still used Creedmoor in WY this year.

What are you planning on hunting? If it's just deer, I'd go creedmoor and use your current acction for something else. I love my PRC, but I only got it with elk on the menu. Brass is hard to find at reasonable prices and the Magnum powders (H1000, RL-26) always seem to be hard to get. On the flip side, creedmoor brass, ammo, and powders are usually obtainable. Depending on the loads there is a sizable speed gap, but I wouldn't sweat it for deer.

Responses gave me insight of what shooters think - thanks all. Given the rate of inflation & uncertainties of supply I might just put it away for eventual chambering & fitting for the exciting 6.5 PRC, pedestrian 6.5 Creedmore, or common 6.5-06. Barrels wear out & I have a 6.5-.308, 6.5X47L, & 6.5-06 (abundant cheap brass, relatively high velocities, but not so long barrel life).

Don't put it away. Build it! I've been shooting mine for a couple of years now and I've been happy with the round. Finding brass was tough in the beginning but I've seen many people selling it on this site. I don't think components are any harder to find for this round than others, you just have to be fast when they pop up.

I am seeing more brass and bullets being available across the board, but it is still spotty in my veiw. I think the 6.5 PRC is a great round, but must confess I don't own one yet. The 6.5 PRC has been pretty popular and I would bet that components will become available faster compared to the other 6.5's you mention. Get yourself on several waiting/notification lists and start your build. If you build it, the cases will come along...

It's a great cartridge without question but with things the way they are today, no..... Go will a plain Jane cartridge that is time tested and has a reasonable chance of actually being able to find something for....

My concerns are brass availability - I have a nice donor Ruger MKII magnum face, action that feeds my one dummy range brass 6.5 PRC round perfectly and a McGowen 6.5, 8 twist, Douglas #5, Ruger MKII threaded but unchambered barrel is waiting for me at McGowen.

My thoughts are to not proceed unless I have 100 rounds or so of 6.5 PRC brass secured. I have a modest amount of VN165, PP4000MR, R-S Magnum, RL23, & about 1 pound of H1000. My uses would be shooting steel out to 1,000 with 140's & rodents with 120 grain ELDM's.

Is there a brass source that I have not found? Will more brass, especially Lapua, be available in December 2021?
Gee. It is so expensive these days. - I bought PRC ammo 2-years ago when things were normal.
Insane!

BRASS

Hornady
Estimated to ship within 1-4 months

Lapua
Estimated to ship within 4-6 months