Should I customize or upgrade?

kylehuffman

Currently I am shooting a Savage 11THXP in 6.5 Creedmoor. The rifle is stock (with a couple of modifications...no aftermarket parts), with a Vortex Viper 6.5-20 HS. This rifle will shoot .75 MOA all day long, with the occasional .25 MOA group, with a couple of my hand loads. My question to the group is this...is it worth upgrading to a Savage 11 Long Range Hunter in the same caliber? I have an opportunity to buy a used one for $630. The coating on the stock is peeling and the muzzle brake is stuck open, but other than that, it is in good condition. My goal, up until this rifle came available, was to put an aftermarket stock on my 11THXP, upgrade the scope base and rings, and put a slightly better scope on it. I can accomplish these upgrades for a couple hundred dollars more than the LRH will cost. What do you all think? Thanks in advance.

Kyle

I would keep the scope and upgrade your existing rifle with a better stock and a Savage prefit barrel that was 24~26 inches long. A barrel from Mcgowan, PacNor, etc. is a nice step up from a factory barrel. Upgrade the scope in the future.

My thoughts would be to just get the stock and upgrade the rings/bases and rock on. 3/4" groups that occasionally 'drop' down to 1/4" or a pleasant problem to have!

An alternative might be to just go do what Barrelnut suggested and get a longer tube on the rifle you already have.

IIWY, I'd practice, practice, practice until I wear out the barrel (unless you can the sell the barrel to offset the cost) and go with Barrelnut's recommendation ... but that's just me.

I was in the same dilemma. I opted for Customize over upgrade and I don't regret it. I thought long and hard and chose to make what I want. I wanted a rifle that nobody else has. It is more expensive in the end, but what you end up with is something original. JMO. I have had mine for 3 years now and still don't regret, its just made me want to build more lol. I wanted a Left handed 300 Weatherby in Accumark. It would have been 2200.00 CA, Plus Scope as shown in my pic 1000.00. (Leupold VX3 4.5x14-40mm CDS. Had Korth Group install windage adjustments also) So 3200. This rifle as seen was total even with the cost of the original rifle 3500. It is really going to depend on what you want it for. I wanted something to pass down to the kids also and something that is a one of a kind. This is mine. Its accurate as all hell, smooth, only one like it and I still think its one of the sexier rifles I have ever seen. You have a big decision!! lol
1461014_10151657748321901_19500870_n.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.