Should I crimp my .243 hunting bullets?

timotheius

I am brand new to reloading and need a little help. I am about to crank out my first batch of hand loaded rounds ever. I have the cases cleaned, sized, and prepped. I am now ready to prime, add powder, and seat a bullet. However, I am not sure whether I should crimp my bullets or not.

I am loading for a Tikka T3 .243. I bought two different bullets to try: 85 gn Sierra Gameking HPBT, and 100 gn Sierra Pro Hunter SP. Neither of these bullets have a cannelure. I am trying to load rounds that will be "highly accurate hunting rounds." Will be trying Varget and IMR-4064 powders.

If I don't crimp, will seating depth change on my rounds as they are in the magazine of my gun or loaded into the chamber from the detachable magazine? What about if I keep 4 or 5 extras in my pocket while hunting? Will that bump them out of whack? How easily will these bullets move around in the neck? And....is crimping bullets without a cannelure something you really shouldn't do anyway? Thanks for your help.

No need to crimp in a bolt gun. I worried about that same thing when I first started. I throw them in my pocket, in the cup holder, all over the place with no problems. I always measure them when I get home to see if they change, and they never do. I'm loading my bullets almost to the lands too. In fact when I worked up a round for my rifle, I had several loads made with gradual increases in powder trying to find my max load. Once I found my max load, I still had 4-5 rounds left over that had too much powder in them for me to use. I didn't have a bullet puller at the time, so I used a pair of pliers (I DO NOT recomend this one bit for the record. I was being stupid, and have since bought the correct tool). To my surprise it took a great deal of force to pull the bullets from the brass. I would say that you are fine as long as you don't completely abuse them. My 2 cents. :D

No need to crimp in a bolt gun. I worried about that same thing when I first started. I throw them in my pocket, in the cup holder, all over the place with no problems. I always measure them when I get home to see if they change, and they never do. I'm loading my bullets almost to the lands too. In fact when I worked up a round for my rifle, I had several loads made with gradual increases in powder trying to find my max load. Once I found my max load, I still had 4-5 rounds left over that had too much powder in them for me to use. I didn't have a bullet puller at the time, so I used a pair of pliers (I DO NOT recomend this one bit for the record. I was being stupid, and have since bought the correct tool). To my surprise it took a great deal of force to pull the bullets from the brass. I would say that you are fine as long as you don't completely abuse them. My 2 cents. :D

+1 on that. As long as your not loading a automatic then you dont have to. Atleast i think thats how it goes someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate the help. I don't really want to crimp if it isn't necessary. Its just that some of the things I have read and youtube videos I have watched made me think it is something I am supposed to do for any ammo I am not shooting from a bench.

I don't crimp any rounds for my bolt guns. Here is something that may further put your mind at ease. Seat a bullet and measure the exact OAL. Hold the brass and put the tip of the bullet on a 2x4. Push with a little force and re-measure. Push a little harder and re-measure. See how hard you have to lean on it to get it to move. I think you'll be surprised just how much force is needed to get it moving.

Crimping for a bolt gun generally is not desirable, but I will share an exception that I encountered. Many years ago I bought a bolt 30/06 with an unbelievably long throat. I could barely reach the lands even with 180 Gr bullets, much less the 150's I wanted to use for deer. I struggled to get accuracy or velocity out of my reloads despite being at max book loads. So I tried the lee factory crimper on my 150 Gr Hornady Spire Points (which have the cannelure). It was like a miracle--velocity and accuracy improved.

I used to have a Browning BLR and I decided to try the crimp route one time. I bought a Lee crimper and went for it. I was not impressed with the accuracy of the load that I was using after I crimped it. I would not crimp unless it is necessary.

I used to have a Browning BLR and I decided to try the crimp route one time. I bought a Lee crimper and went for it. I was not impressed with the accuracy of the load that I was using after I crimped it. I would not crimp unless it is necessary.

Advance apologies for hijacking the thread.

I have a BLR and can't get anything to shoot out of it. Mine is 7-08. What caliber was yours and what bullet did you settle on?

IMR 4064 and your chosen bullet should work well if your 243 Tikka is anything like mine. The 1:10 twist barrels these have are quite fond of 80-90 gr bullets, my personal favorite is the Hornady 87 gr VMAX.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.