Should I buy a new press ?

I bought a Hornady kit when I first started reloading in the mid 80's. I still have the beam scale and the loading block. They're a great way to get started, but I'm not a fan of kits. The kit components are chosen for economics rather than excellence.

This forum has spurred the purchases of brass prep tools that I didn't know that I needed. ;)

I wish that I'd gotten started with an arbor press instead of a ram press. Something like the K&M or a Sinclair. I bought a Harrell Combo press to use at the range. http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/products/combo-press I'll buy some Wilson dies to go with it in the near future.

I find that using a powder thrower and a tickler is the easiest way to measure powder. I set it to throw a bit low into the scale's pan, then trickle to the desired powder weight. There are expensive machines to do all of this automagically, I can't justify their expense. Prior to acquiring a trickler I used a plastic spoon. Most of those will impart a static charge to the powder, mine did not. No idea why. The trickler that I have, a very used RCBS model that I got at my local club's meeting/swap meet, is substantially better than the spoon.

Measuring tools: I buy machinist brands like Starrett and Mitutoyo when at all possible. Places like Travers and MSC Direct are where I go for these purchases.

A single stage press gives you the most control over all the aspects of precision reloading involving the press. in addition, you need the components to properly prepare the case, measure, weigh, etc that gives the most precise control over those aspects. I have Rock Chucker Supreme and it works GREAT! A co-axil is also a good choice, and I like the looks of the RCBS Summit for the price. The rest of your $ - quality dies, calipers, scale - for precise control I use a beam balance, etc., etc. . Reading is good, and be sure to look at what others use, what is available and make yourself list of "things, " then look at brands to decide which "things" to buy - many are listed in this thread.. BTW with pistol and .223 ammo, I want more speed than super, maximum, ultra-ultra precision. Loading for 10-300 yards is totally different than 600-1200 yards. Good luck and have fun!!!

I started many years ago with a Lyman turrent press that workt untill the bolt broke and lyman wouldnt supply a replacement=poor customer service means no more orange crap.
Bought a rockchucker and have been very pleased with its performance other than the spent primers being a pita
A 550 dillion was added to speed things up a lot and have found better consistency round to round to boot.
Enough that another 550 was added, that way one stays set up for small primers and the other for large.
The only rounds that get reloaded on the rockchucker anymore are those that require large grain powders like Retumbo.
The learning curve is better on a single but a progressive can be just as reliable within its limitations

Years ago I bought a Hornady AP setup, I've never used it, I've never reloaded at all. When I bought it the thought was mass producing 5.56/.223 due to supplies and prices. Fast forward to now after pretty big life change/relocating I want to start loading but since bulk prices and quality are pretty darn good mass production is not a factor at all,I'd like to focus on accuracy and being able to match ammo to use "better" than factory offerings.
I've been trying to study the basics to get started, bought a couple loading manuals and obviously reading stuff on the interwebs. Right now all I have is what came with the Hornady AP kit so I need to buy equipment. My question is, do I use the progressive press setup I have or buy a quility single stage press ? I don't have a problem at all settling aside what I have now, maybe selling or trading it and buy another press setup.
Not saying money is no object but I want equipment that I hopefully won't want to upgrade quickly. So to recap, as a complete rookie at loading would you recommend buy a single stage press or use the progressive I have ? I need all the case prep stuff, dies, scales, measuring equipment anyway.
Any advice and guidance is appreciated.
I started out with a Rock Chucker .I now have a Dillon 550C but using the single stage press made the transition easier .I still use both but when I want to really fine tune a load and don't have to load that many I'll use the single stage .

Looks like most on pg. 1 do not like the Hornady AP press. There are many good presses and a couple I would not wish on a person I did not like, just too dangerous and inexact.
My sweet wife bought one for me several Christmases ago, AP and a go ahead and get the rest. I had been forced into retirement and I was shooting a bunch more. I used it as a single stage at first as I was learning. I wanted to get each segment of using the machine down correctly. I am quite anal in my ways having been an industrial mechanic and then an engineer in a few fields, (I didn't like getting dirty).
I reload 9mm luger up to 338LM. My accuracy has increased greatly due to a couple things. I shoot more often so muscle memory is setting in and reloading. I lean more toward the reloading as differently loaded rounds will show different results. All shot in near same ambient temperatures, same starting temperatures, GPS location, wind, distance and the rest, all shot same day.
I am now able to shoot 5" diameter circle with my handguns while I am moving, running, walking turning around. Prior to reload I couldn't do that standing still. My 338LM at 1/4 mile I was lucky to hit paper, now it put all rounds, cept fliers, in a hole the size of a quarter, That is a coin not an inch.
I have watched while others use different presses and asked questions when they took breaks. Most are fine machines, none seem to be plug & play, all have idiosyncrasies. The main thing with increasing accuracy is notes, data, learning, reading and thought. Of coarse this is my opinion and only based on my personal experiences.
edit; I have a variance of ,0.001 OAL, ± 0.1g on powder at 68℉. When I am loading for 1/2 mile and greater I measure all powder loads individually and check all dimensions also.
Be safe, have fun and bring the family along for the ride.

Last edited:
Here is what I do, I use a progressive for sizing and decapping and, a single stage to seat bullets. The progressive only because I put multiple caliber dies in it to decap and size. I hand measure and weigh everything.

I've been RELOADING for quite a few years if you're just going to be doing small calibers anything up to 300 WinMag you could use a single stage press from Lee but if you're loading anything larger let's say 338 Lappula magnum or 50 BMG you're going to have to have a larger press one piece of equipment that I would definitely purchase would be an automatic powder scale that is the best piece of equipment you can purchase for RELOADING in my opinion but start simple and startAt the bottom of your load table and you can pretty much work your way on up and load whatever you want you're going to find that certain powders in certain Bullets don't like each other very much in certain powders in certain Bullets work perfectly together it's just gonna be a trial and air practice thing but I think it's great that you decided to reload your own ammo I haven't bought factory ammo in years the only factory ammo I do purchase is for my A.R. 15's because it cost less money to purchase them then to reload them
The 50 BMG would definitely need a larger press. I had contacted Hornady and they made the 338LM parts for me. Hooray. Now the AP is most assuredly not a an auto loading press with the 338LM. You could pretend it is but grief would be your bedfellow.

Even if you load on a progressive, I am of the opinion that you need a good single stage press for load development. If it were my choice to make, I would keep the progressive press and buy a good single stage. The hornady iron press would work well, so would a forster coax.

How serious of a loader are you? I've been reloading for 60 years and used many presses. If you are a very serious competition shooter then maybe those expensive presses are for you. If you are a hobbiest shooter and your only competition is yourself, don't waste your money. Buy a Lee Turret press and their excellent dies. I bought a concentricity tool to make sure my bullets were seated straight. After checking a bunch of bullets from a Lee die and seeing they were all good, I stopped using the tool. I use the Lee Turret in single stage mode, so with the Turret I have a single and progressive choice. All 3 dies are screwed into the turret so unlike single stage presses you don't have to screw them in and out numerous times during teloading. You just change the entire turret for each new cartridge. Turret rings were cheap. Seriously take a look at the Lee Turret press and their excellent dies.
This is why I use Redding T7 turret press Can hold two calibers and is great for reloading.

This is why I use Redding T7 turret press Can hold two calibers and is great for reloading. I have started teaching my grandkids about reloading as they are always around wanting to help. Right now they youngest separates cases and the older deprimes as I am in no hurry and enjoy their company.

Looks like most on pg. 1 do not like the Hornady AP press. There are many good presses and a couple I would not wish on a person I did not like, just too dangerous and inexact.
My sweet wife bought one for me several Christmases ago, AP and a go ahead and get the rest. I had been forced into retirement and I was shooting a bunch more. I used it as a single stage at first as I was learning. I wanted to get each segment of using the machine down correctly. I am quite anal in my ways having been an industrial mechanic and then an engineer in a few fields, (I didn't like getting dirty).
I reload 9mm luger up to 338LM. My accuracy has increased greatly due to a couple things. I shoot more often so muscle memory is setting in and reloading. I lean more toward the reloading as differently loaded rounds will show different results. All shot in near same ambient temperatures, same starting temperatures, GPS location, wind, distance and the rest, all shot same day.
I am now able to shoot 5" diameter circle with my handguns while I am moving, running, walking turning around. Prior to reload I couldn't do that standing still. My 338LM at 1/4 mile I was lucky to hit paper, now it put all rounds, cept fliers, in a hole the size of a quarter, That is a coin not an inch.
I have watched while others use different presses and asked questions when they took breaks. Most are fine machines, none seem to be plug & play, all have idiosyncrasies. The main thing with increasing accuracy is notes, data, learning, reading and thought. Of coarse this is my opinion and only based on my personal experiences.
edit; I have a variance of ,0.001 OAL, ± 0.1g on powder at 68℉. When I am loading for 1/2 mile and greater I measure all powder loads individually and check all dimensions also.
Be safe, have fun and bring the family along for the ride.

I question, what sort of bullet allows you 0.001" overall length or is that some sort of typo? I've measured hundreds of bullets from Berger, Hornady, Nosler, Sierra, and so on and their OAL is greater than what you're claiming for COAL. I'd be interested what bullet is able to give such consistency.

To me, CBTO is much more important to be consistent than OAL and nearly all mass-produced bullets will have around a 0.003" variance. Match type bullets are the worse, but the new Berger Hybrids are claiming to have a better Kepler than older Bergers and with that, more consistent BC.

Lee Classic Cast is a great press for the price. May not be a co-ax but as good as most of the rest of the single stage ones. JMO

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts