Should I build a 330 Dakota?

An Edge with a Wyatts box! ADG brass is available. The Nosler and the PRC or Sherman version with a 3.850 mag box has brass available also from ADG for a bit less speed. If you can source enough brass for the Dakota before you build it great of not I'd look at the Edge really hard!

As you said brass is 1 option only. I really like the Dakota line and they were just ahead of their time. I had a 300 Dakota and absolutely loved it. I almost built a 7 and 330 Dakota also. Go for it if you are prepared to stock up on a barrel worth of brass in case they disappear. If there were more brass options I would still build one.

I think the parent cartridge that the 330 Dakota is derived from is the 404 Jeffrey. There is probably something else out there that is also derived from that cartridge, and it could be formed into the 330 Dakota if brass becomes unavailable. ( Perhaps the Remington Ultra Mags ?) There isn't much out there that's really new.

Case forming can be a pain in the keester, but it sure beats not having anything to shoot. It may be that there's even something that would be a quick & handy conversion, like one pass through a die. If not, a set of forming dies might be pretty pricey. Definitely something to check out before taking the plunge.

I built a 7 Dakota a couple years ago. I was able to get a couple hundred rounds of brass, some off of here and some from Midway. Pretty happy with the cartridge. When the barrel is done I will make my decision off of what brass I can find, but I like the powder capacity and the cartridge dimensions.

338 Jarrett; 250gr AB at 2950 with a variety of powders, Hitting 3000 with RL26 easy. Brass can be a bit of a pain as the round is an improved 8mm RM. I've never tried any of the heavies as the recoil is enough for me as is.
I've had one for years. We called it a 338 SDM (Swamp Donkey Magnum) taken quite a few Moose with it. Strictly hunting rifle no brake and lightweight stock! It kills on both ends. But does a great job in the bush and on the long draws in the swamp where they can go 500 yards+! Didn't know Jarrett had a version. I finally have some Reloader 23 and 26 to try and make up some new loads for it!

I would do a 33N and have it throated to run that 285 at an oal that just fits in the rem mag box. The long one is a 285 seated out to just fit in a rem mag box, the short is a sammi spec. My 33 is sammi spec and 3.335"oal to feed in my action, you would gain quite a bit going out close to 3.6"oal.

Attachments

• F0A93A36-13A9-4BF0-9DD1-29F9822833B0.jpeg
    F0A93A36-13A9-4BF0-9DD1-29F9822833B0.jpeg
    1,008.5 KB · Views: 354
Shout out to IanCo who bought some ammo from me in 7 Dakota. Sent me an extra $10 towards shipping since that was much more than I had expected...A+man!

I would do a 33N and have it throated to run that 285 at an oal that just fits in the rem mag box. The long one is a 285 seated out to just fit in a rem mag box, the short is a sammi spec. My 33 is sammi spec and 3.335"oal to feed in my action, you would gain quite a bit going out close to 3.6"oal.

LongBomber can you get 3 rounds down or two? I can get 3 down in with the 340. MY suspicion is that it's 2 two rounds down as I think the 33 Noz case is a bit fatter but maybe not...

33 nosler is looking pretty good so far. I'm not liking the price for brass though. $2.50 per case is a bit much.

33 nosler is looking pretty good so far. I'm not liking the price for brass though. $2.50 per case is a bit much.

That might be cheaper than 330 Dakota Brass.
I'm super happy with my 7 Dakota but I do think if I was going to jump to 338 I would strongly consider the Nosler or RUM or Norma depending on the COAL I could get out of the action I was building on. Brass will be cheaper and more available and pretty sure the extra 10-20 grains of powder would be used efficiently in the larger bore.

LongBomber can you get 3 rounds down or two? I can get 3 down in with the 340. MY suspicion is that it's 2 two rounds down as I think the 33 Noz case is a bit fatter but maybe not...
I can get three, same as my rum or edge. You need a rum mag box in a 700, or do cutouts on the regular magnum box.

Id look at Swamplords 338 is it Razor.Looks interesting .Has brass made for it

Last edited:
So I scored a good deal on a hs precision stock for a remington 700 long action, and now I'm looking to build a dedicated long range elk rifle.
I was doing some research on cartridges and the specs for the 330 Dakota seem perfect for what I want to do, however I can't seem to find any affordable brass options or good recent info on the cartridge. Is this cartridge dead?
338wm seems too slow, 338 Rum seems like COAL would be too long and 338 lapua is too long/fat/expensive. I guess 300 PRC sounds pretty good, but I was hoping to make the jump to .338 bullets. I want to shoot 285 ELD-M's.
Any help/info/ideas are appreciated. Thanks.

Sub, I have owned one for probably 20 years and a 300 Dakota also. I would build it again, brass is available but if you get stuck you could form it from 404 Jeffries or any of the RUM brass, I own both types, since you will be building it in a long action 700 that would be ideal, the magazine will give you plenty of space to play with and provide the most flexibility, when properly hand loaded it will drive a 250 gr bullet to 2800 or more depending on barrel length, bullet and powder and reward you with excellent accuracy and less recoil than the Lapua or the RUM plus you can buy factory ammo if you have to, I have shot a couple of moose with it and used the 250 Hornady SPTZ never found the bullets both lung shot. I would use a 26" barrel for top speeds and good handling, my 300 is a DAkota and my 330 is built on a M70 Classic.
BB