Should I bother rebedding this?

chav0_12

So this is a Nosler M48, looking at the bedding job, the recoil lug is sufficiently bedded. I'm curious on the thoughts of the bedding job here, should I bed the rest of the action or is it probably good? The rifle seems to shoot well enough, even though I've only put maybe 20 rounds through it since I got it. I'm sending the trigger into Timney since it's not seeming to want to go as low as I'd like it to, maybe 2.5lbs, so it's out of service for the moment. I don't have any other guns to work on at the moment and I'm kinda bored and this is a cheap easy job I could do.
E0BBCBBC-A785-4313-91D7-3EE39DE752FD.jpeg
5A701659-8AE1-4B8A-BA40-2032DE8650C4.jpeg

It is a Nosler. Yeah, I just know how I bed actions and it's always more than just the lug.
Makes me chuckle....the second most accurate rifle I have ever had was my first bedding job in mid 90's. Slapped some acra glass in the cheapest savage 112/22-250 totally stock around the lug, barrel nut and back to the front of the magazine opening. Not a dang thing else and she shoots in the 1's with 55gr BT's and IMR4064. I had all kinds of guys telling me it wouldn't work and I had screwed it up when I showed up at the next shoot....got pretty dang quiet after the first round. LOL if it works brag about how little it has and show everyone up with their "super perfect must do this" rifles.

Looks like the tang is bedded too.If it shoots well,leave it alone.Often bedding just the lug is all that's needed.My other advice is buy another rifle or two,or three or four,or....................Don't be stuck on one rifle.If something goes wrong you always have backups.I have multiple 308 Win's,30-06's,7mags and 300 Win Mags and a few other singles in other cartridges.They all get to go to the range,the hard choice is who gets to go hunting with me.

Well, as you probably know. Fewer people know what it takes (load testing) even with factory ammo to find out if it will shoot. There are also a lot of people who just flat can't shoot as well as others. Have faith and believe you came out ahead this time.

Yeah, I'll probably wait until I get that trigger back to see how it actually shoots and see what I might need to do. There has to be a reason it was on consignment.
Not necessarily a problem, maybe needed $$. I bought a Remington 700 .308 on the used rack for 800.00, looked unfired. I took it home and went through it, still looked unfired, I think was fresh from the smith. It had a Timney trigger, flush custom brake, Cerakoted, and shoots better than I do.

Looks like the tang is bedded too.If it shoots well,leave it alone.Often bedding just the lug is all that's needed.My other advice is buy another rifle or two,or three or four,or....................Don't be stuck on one rifle.If something goes wrong you always have backups.I have multiple 308 Win's,30-06's,7mags and 300 Win Mags and a few other singles in other cartridges.They all get to go to the range,the hard choice is who gets to go hunting with me.
Oh this definitely isn't my only rifle, just my only new to me gun that's not finished being played with. I guess I do have an a-bolt that might need some work, bedding and loads, I could probably get a ladder for this rifle loaded up. There's definitely no bedding material under the tang. It certainly makes it tough when it comes to hunting season picking the rifle that gets to go.

Well, as you probably know. Fewer people know what it takes (load testing) even with factory ammo to find out if it will shoot. There are also a lot of people who just flat can't shoot as well as others. Have faith and believe you came out ahead this time.
I'm hoping that's the case but after taking it to the range and not being too fond of the trigger pull weight I'm not yet convinced. It was set around 3.5lbs which is a pretty standard weight for a hunting rifle but I like a lighter break. So I fooled with that and couldn't get it reliably, or properly, below 2.5lbs, I was shooting for 2lbs. When I got it to 2.5lbs the lock nut actually ended up pulling the set screw out when it was tightened, the only way I could get the lock nut actually locked was if the set screw was far enough in to make it around 3.5lbs. So, hopefully I don't come across any other problems. Hopefully a too thorough load development isn't needed to make it shoot. Seemed to do okay with a mild load for fire forming, around 1".

I have always bedded every rifle I intended to keep. If done correctly, it often helps close the groupings up. I have never bedded a rifle where the bedding made a rifle shoot worse - it just didn't help. If you don't like your bedding job, you can always chip/dremmel it out and tey again. Finally, bedding rifles is great practice for me and I have improved in my abilities over the years.

When I got it to 2.5lbs the lock nut actually ended up pulling the set screw out when it was tightened, the only way I could get the lock nut actually locked was if the set screw was far enough in to make it around 3.5lbs.
That doesn't sound good. You might have voided you're warranty. But I'd be more concerned on a safety issue now. I think I'd call and cop out to what happened. IMO that's better than a ND.

That doesn't sound good. You might have voided you're warranty. But I'd be more concerned on a safety issue now. I think I'd call and cop out to what happened. IMO that's better than a ND.
Yeah, when I talked to Timney they said it should be able to go down to 1.5lbs, so it's getting sent in to them. Hopefully they can get it working or just send me a new trigger. I set it back to 3.5lbs where it was safe, but never did shoot it afterwards. I'm not too worried about a warranty as it's a used gun. When I talked to Timmy initially I was asking them to tell me which trigger to buy for the gun that would get me down to 2lbs. That resulted in a RMA form being emailed to me.

Yeah, when I talked to Timney they said it should be able to go down to 1.5lbs, so it's getting sent in to them. Hopefully they can get it working or just send me a new trigger. I set it back to 3.5lbs where it was safe, but never did shoot it afterwards. I'm not too worried about a warranty as it's a used gun. When I talked to Timmy initially I was asking them to tell me which trigger to buy for the gun that would get me down to 2lbs. That resulted in a RMA form being emailed to me.
I missed the part where you talked to Timney. Sounds like you're GTG. I just would have hated to say nothing and later hear someone got hurt. Glad you're on top of it.