Should i be concerned?

barnesuser28

Hey guys, so today when i was cleaning the savage 338 Lapua, i noticed infront of the nut there is a little step in the barrel. I am not sure if it was there when we first bought it or if it is normal but i dont recall seeing this on any of our other savages. It looks like it was put in there to make it fit the nut. Maybe i havent been paying close enough attention? I have been having case sticking issues so i want to make sure i am not putting myself in danger in any way. Heres a picture.

Attachments

• IMG_4889.JPG
    IMG_4889.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 73
I set my bump die so it moves the shoulder back .0015". I have to bump the shoulder every firing though, i am only using 83 grains of retumbo with a 280 grain bullet, if i dont bump i get a stuck case every time.

I set my bump die so it moves the shoulder back .0015". I have to bump the shoulder every firing though, i am only using 83 grains of retumbo with a 280 grain bullet, if i dont bump i get a stuck case every time.

I have the same thing going on with mine. I use 89.2 gr Retumbo with a 300 Berger. Cases will separate after about 4-5 loadings. Cases stick if I don't push the shoulder back. Using the Hornady Lock and Load tool, new Lapua reads 4.317", fired brass, 4.325". I push the shoulder back a couple of thousanths. No pressure signs. 2700 FPS. Sub .5MOA groups. There is definitely something going on with the chamber on my rifle. I have to get back to it and figure out what's going on. I've been working on a 300 WM.

I am really getting fed up with these stuck cases. Even at 83 grains of retumbo in lapua brass i get stuck cases, if i run any higher i get heavy pressure signs but i dont want to go any lower because it already only going 2700 fps with the 280 barnes lrx.

I've had similar issues on a Savage WSM, getting pressure signs and having a hard time getting things sized right and eating cases like candy. The solution was setting the head space on new cases, it was night and day difference. Don't know if that is part of the issue or not but it seem that either you got a good one or a turd.

I have a friend having stuck cases with factory loads and sounds like pressure signs. Been sent back they daid no problems Norma brass he said. Took it to local smith and stuck case.That would drive me nuts, Im gettting better performance with my 338 Norma than you are with Lapua and Im on 8 reloads, thats not right

I will be at the Townsend shoot in June if everything works out as planned. I will be bringing the 338 Lapua and a cleaning rod.... Hopefully it does it while the experts can get their hands on it. :)

I heard that the Hornady brass rim was slightly smaller than the Lapua.But I think you have Lapua brass?

Yep, Lapua brass on 7 firings without one lost case, primer pockets are still really tight and i have annealed them every 2nd firing.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.