Should I add 338 to my hunting rifles?

Hello all,

I am new here and cant quite seem to figure out how to start a post to ask a question. I am looking for a 338 RUM. In research comparison to other 338's I believe this round to be at the top of the list. Looking for a custom rifle that is for sale. Any input would be great. If 338 RUM is not available, would consider a 30-378 in its place. thanks

Thanks to everyone for a lot of great information.

First, sorry for the original word choice on the title of the post. The forum administrator corrected it for me, and I should have known better after 35 years in the natural resources profession (including collaboration with social scientists).

Anyway, to contribute my 2 cents here, I see there have been no opinions on the 33 Nosler. That is the rifle that I am currently considering (Nosler's M48 Long Range is only 8 lbs, so can keep it around 10 with glass), the action is modest length (approx. 30-06 in length), and the ballistics are getting close to 338 RUM and Lapua. Dies, factory ammo (incl. 265 Accubond long range) and brass are currently available (though a delay may allow prices to come back down a bit). See the following review. Also, found a cool one by Spomer reviewing all of the various 338 cartridges but can't seem to relocate it.

Regarding my 375 H&H, it is just broken in, and I have yet to test accuracy at modest ranges, 400 yards or so. Also, it would be good to have two large bore rifles, with my son hopefully joining the 2022 elk camp. However, he has already displayed some proficiency with the 300 Win Mag, harvesting a dandy MN whitetail in recent years. Two key components of my own hunting ethics: 1. Get closer if possible, and 2. "Use enough gun" (a la Ruark). And 3. Practice at distances longer than I will be harvesting animals at. Confidence in both the equipment and myself goes a long way.

Thanks again!

The advantage a 338 would offer is that at the longer distances of say 1500 yds and more, and assuming the one you chose had enough gonads to perform well at those distances with the 300 grain bullets, you will find you will shoot more accuratly.
Maybe the proper term would be more consistantly in the zone.
Otherwise, play with what you have in your hand now. lol

I have a 338 Federal and a 338 Win. Mag. and both shoot well, with 180 Noslers for Deer and 225 Barnes for Elk. The Mag will reach out farther but with more boom. Thinking about something in between maybe a 338 X 284

I have a 338 Federal and a 338 Win. Mag. and both shoot well, with 180 Noslers for Deer and 225 Barnes for Elk. The Mag will reach out farther but with more boom. Thinking about something in between maybe a 338 X 284
I have 100 rounds of new Federal 338 brass if you are interested. Bought it and then never built the gun.

The .340's a good one, I ran amuck with one for close to 2 decades. Shot out two Schneider barrels. One on a 700 and one on a P64/70.

Incredibly accurate, used it on a ton load of chucks, yotes, porky's and deer, lope, elk and black bear.

I enjoyed the run but in the end I decided I can do the exact same thing (kill on demand) via a round with a ton load less recoil.

Bottom line, you have a 06, a 300 and a 375 life doesn't get any better than that. I'll say it again, move on from the 338. Use the funds and the time to become more intimate with the guns you have and get to hunting.

Life's short, hunt hard!
My friends lefty Mark 5 .340 was Magna Ported. That tamed the recoil quite a bit.

I just watched video of 2 young folks with physical issues kill large bulls at 300 yards with a .243 Winchester out of a very well made custom. Any reasonable elk hunter can get inside that distance without much trouble. In my case I work very hard on my calling ability. My current elk project will be a 243 WSSM if I can find enough brass.