Should I add 338 to my hunting rifles?

When I decided I wanted a 338 about 4 years ago, I did a lot of research. I originally was going to get a 338 RUM, but brass was nonexistent for it at that time. I ended up with a 338 Lapua, and I've been very happy with that choice. You'll always be able to find brass for it. The 340 Weatherby, 338 RUM and 338 Lapua are basically the same ballistically, so pick which one serves your needs best.

A well loaded 338 win is one bullet weight lighter at the same speed than the Lapua. I run a 225 to 2900 fps or a 250 to 2750fps from my #1 338win. My brother is doing 2900fps from 250's in his Lapua. It's a bit of a hard sell to me on the Lapua for the difference I see. Possibly a fast twist Edge +p or similar might be enough difference, but I usually hunt deer so either is a lot of rifle already.
that's very impressive if you are getting those kind of numbers with that big of a bullet. And if that's the case with your rifles I completely agree with you the one I had I was not able to achieve those speeds and hold a good node. my lapua is running 2850 with 300gr Bergers with an ES of 4

that's very impressive if you are getting those kind of numbers with that big of a bullet. And if that's the case with your rifles I completely agree with you the one I had I was not able to achieve those speeds and hold a good node. my lapua is running 2850 with 300gr Bergers with an ES of 4
You want to talk nodes with one of the best, get ahold of Bob Galloway at Rocky Mountain House, Alberta. Bob will do the chamber work on my 7SAUM using a Jury barrel. He has installed about 200 of them. Please do not tell him I sent you or he will have no time to do my chamber.

You want to talk nodes with one of the best, get ahold of Bob Galloway at Rocky Mountain House, Alberta. Bob will do the chamber work on my 7SAUM using a Jury barrel. He has installed about 200 of them. Please do not tell him I sent you or he will have no time to do my chamber.
In fact wait until he does my chamber work before contacting him. I am on a short timeline.

Got some

Attachments

• 060F46BB-FFA6-4E83-BA66-84DF58EF68E1.jpeg
    060F46BB-FFA6-4E83-BA66-84DF58EF68E1.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 65
My Finnish friends Eric and Tapp can likely get some straight from Finland. They both have guns and love that calibre.

I took a 338 WM to Alaska for years. Ran into a situation where it did not have the reach I needed for a sheep. I can see the same thing happening to you with an elk.

I switched to a 300 RUM and haven't looked back. It is my go to for all big game now. Reach is not a problem anymore.

I took a 338 WM to Alaska for years. Ran into a situation where it did not have the reach I needed for a sheep. I can see the same thing happening to you with an elk.

I switched to a 300 RUM and haven't looked back. It is my go to for all big game now. Reach is not a problem anymore.
The new World Record Non Typical was arrowed here in Alberta last year by Shawn O'Shea about 2 hours north of me. Read the story.