Should have done this a long time ago!

Nothing fancy, but very functional. I put 40 lbs of weight in the desk to stabilize it. Adjusted the legs to make it level. Now I can watch football, and burn through my bullets, primers, and powder that I can't replace. LolView attachment 245022
LOL I've been using a school desk as my loading bench for twenty years give our take LOL

Attachments

• 4D71B91B-E3B8-45FB-906D-A1467AC967F0.jpeg
    4D71B91B-E3B8-45FB-906D-A1467AC967F0.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 102
Nothing fancy, but very functional. I put 40 lbs of weight in the desk to stabilize it. Adjusted the legs to make it level. Now I can watch football, and burn through my bullets, primers, and powder that I can't replace. Lol
I share your concern, anxiety, or worry ... not sure what I want to call mine. I've let the chaos of the current situation steal my joy and shame on me for letting it. But, I can't bring myself to shoot my "now cheap" ammo because replacing it, if you can buy it, now costs upward of 2x, 4x, 6x? more than my cost (yesterday's prices ... who knows what today's prices are). I then shift to "I can reload enough to keep shooting for quite some time" and then argue with myself "But you can't replace your primers and powder ... at least not for a reasonable price."
Then just to prove to myself I'm not letting it get to me, last week I renewed my membership at the range. Go figure ...

My wife and I had COVID in January. I was too tired to even think about reloading ... tried to substitute watching hunting and fishing shows. Would fall asleep multiple times every show, so finally gave up on that until recently.

I CANNOT work in silence - I HAVE to have some background noise - of my choice. When I am focused on the project at hand, then I don't hear the noise, but I do hear the absence of it!
Yeah, I have no idea what "working in silence" is like ... tinnitus is my constant companion! I find my hearing and tinnitus has gotten so bad (shooting without hearing protection as a kid, heavy equipment as a young man, many hours in a Navy aircraft and then general aviation private plane, all before hearing protection became understood, advised, available, etc) ... adding background noise really kills my ability to concentrate.

However, nice setup!

Greg

Last edited:
Gent's He's loading the 6.5 Needmoor, it doesn't make any difference with them, you could load them with water and they'd still shoot half moa at a K, Regardless I think it's a bad example to display on social media where a new loader would see it, I couldn't live with myself if someone got hurt, and by the wood stove?????? Really?????

Not everyone in the nfl is an advocate for disrespecting the flag or the United States. The media portrayals of this are exaggerated to an extent. There are several teams and players that don't feel that way. Our own government is a much greater disgrace to this country than the nfl, and I don't see you trying to leave the country. I'll continue to watch and support talented athletes, that are proud to be Americans. The ones that do disrespect make me sick, and it doesn't mean I like it. Pittsburgh Steelers offensive tackle and former Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva, stood proud for the anthem as his entire team sat like little bitches in the locker room. I can watch nfl and feel proud, because I'm supporting the Alejandro Villanueva's left in the sport.

I wonder if the background noise that drowns out the tinnitus that lets me concentrate. If my wife interrupts, me. it startles, so I end up going back a few steps to make sure I didn't miss something with the interruption. Also, following checklist helps as a bunch! One of the advantage of being CDO (thats is OCD in the correct alphabetical order.)

Skipped 5 pages of what was probably more people talking about how they must have 100% focus to dump powder and seat bullets. I used to watch TV during some brass prep and primer seating but don't anymore because I like the solitude of the basement, but I always have music on. Heck, I've also had a beer a couple times while loading. 😱 I'm of the same mindset as the OP, the powder dump and seating process may be the more simple of the processes. I'll typically check my chargemaster against the beam scale every 10-15 cases, same with double checking my CBTO measurements. Other than that it's just waiting for the throw to complete, dump it in the case and seat the bullet ... not really much there to screw up even with mild distraction. I wonder how many of the "I'd never watch TV" fellas have taught a young child to hand load, or had a young child "help" them load, that's way more distraction than any TV would give you IMO!

I also do a single completed cartridge at a time. I know some people will charge all 50 cases and then seat all 50 cartridges, if I did it that way I would likely take steps to reduce distraction. I also never pause in the middle of a step, for instance if the wife needs me upstairs I won't let a powder throw sit in the pan or a charged case sit in the press ... I'll finish the case I'm working on and then stop the chargemaster so I know exactly where I need to start when I get back to the bench.

Gent's He's loading the 6.5 Needmoor, it doesn't make any difference with them, you could load them with water and they'd still shoot half moa at a K, Regardless I think it's a bad example to display on social media where a new loader would see it, I couldn't live with myself if someone got hurt, and by the wood stove?????? Really?????
Funny guy. There was a time I made fun of the Creedmoor man bun group too, but then I quit being ignorant. I shoot prs matches with it. And I've won prs matches with it. I never hunt with it. I'm not a member of the "I can kill a T. Rex with it, at 2 miles group". I understand what it's good at, and I use it for that purpose. It's accurate to 1000 yards, doesn't kick so you can spot your shots, it's easy to find components for, it doesn't cost a lot to load for, and it makes sense to shoot competitions with.

This is also high efficiency wood stove, and the exterior never gets over a few hundred degrees. Most gun powders have an ignition temperature of 800 degrees or higher. I could pour a lb of powder on it and let it set there all day.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.