Shotgun Styles

winmag

How many different styles of shotguns do you own?
What are they,and why did you choose it?
1)CZ O/U .12 ga 28'' pipes-Needed an ''uppity'' gun for trap and chucker-Love it!
2)CZ 712 .12 ga 27'' bbl- wanted a 3 1/2'' autoloader for big fowl and turkey.
3)Rem 870 .12 ga 25'' bbl-swings easy out of a blind, and ALWAYS RELIABLE.
4)H&R .12 ga single shot- needed one to keep in the pickup calving out cows.
5)Stevens .12 ga side-x-side(just traded to for Win.94 30-30) Need another Side-x-Side cause thats how God intended Shotguns, but will prob opt for a brand with more ''quality'', but loved how it shot and having 2 triggers!

Remington M870 Marine Magnum 12 gauge, 18" barrel, pump action, 6 rounds. Home protection and fun to shoot.:)

Last edited:
I have owned almost every type and brand and I have settled for two basic types.

Over and under and semi auto's for these reasons.

The over&under has a great feel and sighting plain, It is the safest because it can be carried
open to show it is safe and I can change shell sizes quickly and quietly for different types of
game in the field. I prefer 2&3/4 or 3" shells for the over & under.

Next is the semi auto's for the big loads of steel or lead . they have manageable recoil levels
when shooting 2&1/4 oz turkey loads or the biggest steel shot loads for geese. and quick
follow up shots if needed.

I love the look and feel of the side by sides but the aim point doesn't work for me.

The pumps are probably the most dependable repeater shotguns but I never could get use to
working the slide fast enough and the recoil is strong with the heaviest 3&1/2" loads and is
slow to regain a new sight picture (Follow up shot).

There is nothing wrong with the other types of shot guns this is just MY preference just like
the brands.

J E CUSTOM

1. Browning Citori 12ga for Sporting Clays
2. Stevens 16ga Side by Side Upland
3. Browning BPS 12ga Goose and Duck
4. Mossberg 500 Bantam 20ga Mine when I firste started shooting (saving for future kids)
5. Remington 1100 12ga Converting to Tactical

Browning Citori 12 Ga.
Beretta FP1201 - 18 inch barrel, pistol grip, tritium sights, extended mag 12 Ga. home defense
Winchester Mod. 50 1 aluminum receiver and 1 steel 12 Ga.
Winchester Mod. 59 12 Ga.
Winchester Mod. 12 12 Ga. Nickle Steel
Winchester Mod. 1200 20 Ga.
Remington 870 SuperMag Turky 12 Ga. extended forcing cone-Kicks choke
H&R 20 Ga. 3 inch Youth

I have several others I want including a BSS and a Red Label but I can't justify it with all of these lying around.

Last edited:
Winchester Mod. 12, 12 gauge 28" full choke
Winchester Mod. 12, 16 gauge 26" Improved cylinder
Winchester Mod. 12, 20 gauge 26" full choke
Winchester Mod. 12, 28 gauge 26" Modified choke
Winchester Mod. 42, 410 gauge 26" Full choke

Remington 870 Super Mag Turkey Hunting
870 20Ga Quail
870 Wingmaster with 18 1/2" Barrel HD
11 87 Super Mag Ducks & Geese
12, 20 & 410 H&R 158 Topper Single Barrel

Monte Carlo grade K-32 4 barrel set . 28" barrels . After 4 years I've finally gotten it the way i want it, custom stock total rebuilt by K International. Good for another 50 years

Right now a Mossberg 535 12 gauge field/deer combo
Have open, mod, and full chokes for the 22in barrel and a 3-9x rangefinder scope for the 24in rifled barrel. have been nothing but impress since I first got it, great pack gun. Really versatile, I always take a grab bag of sizes shots and slugs and have yet to come home empty handed with it. The first time I had a chance to take it out, it knocked a 250lb boar flat on it's side from about 75yrds across small pond with hornady sst's, before the scope was on. Havent got a chance to hunt any waterfowl yet, the short barrel makes me a little wary about long shots, but it patterns well so I'll find out soon enough. Or maybe I just need an excuse to buy that double gun I've always wanted

1. French Snyder converted to 12 ga (called Zulu) top breech loading blackpowder shells:D

2. Beretta 3901 12 ga (turkey, ducks and geese)
3. TC Encore 20 ga slug gun (deer)
4. Verona 503 20 ga over under (dove upland)
5. Verona comp LX 962 skeet 28 ga/410 double barrel set over under (dove and quail)

BH

Last edited:
Semiautos
SBEII - go to duck/goose gun when stuff needs to die
Gold - backup/loaner duck/goose gun
1187 - safe queen but kept for setimental reasons
1100 - same as above

O/U
Beretta 686 Onyx (12g) - ditch parrotts and doves
Beretta 686 White Onyx (20g) - quail and doves

Pump
870 exp - home defense when stuff REALLY needs to die

I used to own a SBE, but sold it once I picked up the deuce. I've since learned that selling off guns often causes regret so I figure I'll have to buy a bigger safe.

Semiautos
SBEII - go to duck/goose gun when stuff needs to die
Gold - backup/loaner duck/goose gun
1187 - safe queen but kept for setimental reasons
1100 - same as above

O/U
Beretta 686 Onyx (12g) - ditch parrotts and doves
Beretta 686 White Onyx (20g) - quail and doves

Pump
870 exp - home defense when stuff REALLY needs to die

I used to own a SBE, but sold it once I picked up the deuce. I've since learned that selling off guns often causes regret so I figure I'll have to buy a bigger safe.

Nice choices. I like the way you think (bigger safe:D) Ive made the same mistake multiple times, so Im all over the bigger safe idea!!!!!

How many different styles of shotguns do you own?
What are they,and why did you choose it?
1)CZ O/U .12 ga 28'' pipes-Needed an ''uppity'' gun for trap and chucker-Love it!
2)CZ 712 .12 ga 27'' bbl- wanted a 3 1/2'' autoloader for big fowl and turkey.
3)Rem 870 .12 ga 25'' bbl-swings easy out of a blind, and ALWAYS RELIABLE.
4)H&R .12 ga single shot- needed one to keep in the pickup calving out cows.
5)Stevens .12 ga side-x-side(just traded to for Win.94 30-30) Need another Side-x-Side cause thats how God intended Shotguns, but will prob opt for a brand with more ''quality'', but loved how it shot and having 2 triggers!

what cz O/U do you have? I started trap shooting this year and need a 12 ga for next year. I was looking at the CZ woodcock. any draw backs to not use this gun ... I was using a franchi 620 (my bird gun) but i want a 12 ga over and under before next year.

Monte Carlo grade K-32 4 barrel set . 28" barrels . After 4 years I've finally gotten it the way i want it, custom stock total rebuilt by K International. Good for another 50 years

These kriegoffs are very nice to shoot. I've shot many and them and the perazzis don't dissapoint. I'm more purpose driven over quantity so here's what I have now:
Beretta 687 ultralight
beretta 391 30" sporting clays with the parallel comb
And a never fired still in the cosmoline, remington 870 wingmaster left hand 28" with rem factory choke tubes (they made very few in this configuration)
I have also owned a beretta 687 32" sporting clays, rem 870 and a browning bps (I hated this thing)
I used to sell shotguns for a living and have shot most everything from kriegoffs to stogers. Let me know if anyone wants to know the plusses and minuses when compairing brands and models. I would be happy to help.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.