Shotgun shooters..

wilssoon

Any left handed shooters use right handed shotguns? My old man is a lefty and can't seem to get comfortable on a right handed bird gun. On the other hand my little cousin shoots lefty an loves shooting a right handed gun. He likes the fact he can reload without taking his strong hand off the gun. Anybody else face this southpaw dilemma?
g.png

A good friend who taught me to dove hunt use to be a right hander who shot left handed, and only had right handed guns. He never complained about it, and never blamed a lost bird on it. He did later on invest in left handed shotguns as we grew older and more successful.

I shot his left handed shotguns and my only complaint is a backwards saftey and the automatics ejection port being in the center of my face. I get just as much burnt powder blown into my face with my right handed shotguns though, so not a big deal i guess.

I am left eye dominant but right handed. I shoot guns and bows left handed and have for as long as I remember.

I use browning pumps since they have a bottom eject. I really don't like semi-autos b/c they send shells across my face and they are not nearly as reliable as a pump. Shucking the gun has become second nature so I don't think it really has any impact on me.

Any left handed shooters use right handed shotguns? My old man is a lefty and can't seem to get comfortable on a right handed bird gun. On the other hand my little cousin shoots lefty an loves shooting a right handed gun. He likes the fact he can reload without taking his strong hand off the gun. Anybody else face this southpaw dilemma?
g.png

Many shotguns and rifles have cast in the but stock. This case is to help with eye to site alignment.
A wing shooting shot gun needs to fit the shooter very naturally and this is the problem with right handed shotguns. "BUT" some shotguns and rifles have a straight butt stock (No cast) and will fit ether left or right hand shooters.

Side ejection is sometimes a problem but Bottom ejection and the side by side or over and under
shotguns don't have this issue and with straight but stocks will work equally well.

I have an Berretta Extrema 3.5" and it has a tapered shim between the butt stock and the receiver
that can be adjusted to what amount of case is needed ,or left or right cast. If I take it out the shotgun will not have any cast at all. It ejects forward, so that is not a problem.

I injured my right shoulder several years ago and had to shoot left handed, so the tapered shim
was good when I turned it around.

What ever way you shoot, the butt stock needs to be a natural fit for good wing shooting and
some shotguns will just fit better than others.

Hope this helps

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.