shot placement

This is my preferred placement, staying away from the shoulder and taking out lungs or heart, roughly 10-12 inch circle.

elkpic-1.jpg

I'm pretty fond of a high shoulder shot too. Take out shoulders and spine and no tracking, they drop in their tracks if your bullet is placed right. Use a premium bullet and it will penetrate without ruining the entire front half of the elk.

Never been elk hunting, maybe someday but I've shot a pile of moose, it is what I eat for meat for the most part. I like to take out the lungs for the most part but if I'm inside a couple hundred yards my favorite is a neck shot right behind the head, they're dead so quick they bounce. Shoulder shots tend to damage a lot of meat and I've seen a lot of lung shot moose and caribou continue to feed after they've been shot and then just get tired and lay down and go to sleep..................permanantly.

Gus

OK I cant beleve no one has said it yet. The best place to shoot an elk is on the road right by my tailgate.:D Sorry I just had to.:)

Plus 1 for the high shoulder shot dead before their hit the ground. Just my 2 cents.:)

Depends what you're shooting. I wouldn't try a shoulder shot with anything less than 30 cal. I'm sure it's been done before, just saying I wouldn't feel comfortable. Anything less I try to sneak it in the "crease" right behind the shoulder.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.