Shot placement to save meat

elk2_zpsvadjzpck.jpg

"IF" the heart shot presents itself favorably, that's what I would aim at. Having said that, I almost always go for the higher percentage lung shot on any of the big games ... but that's just me.

Good luck and happy safe hunting.

Ed

Hey sorry to revive this dead thead, but has any progress been made on the testing of the 358 cal Hammers? I've been looking on the website for them periodically, but have not seen any yet. Might be planning an elk hunt for next year and would love to give them a try in my rifle before I go.

Velocity and pl<script id="gpt-impl-0.4663362478473085" src="https://securepubads.g.doubleclick.net/gpt/pubads_impl_107.js"></script>acement is what ruins meat. We shoot Bergers and shoot the crease behind the shoulder just below center mass. Line up the legs to be sure they are fully sideways if you can. Rib to rib and you will only loose a hand full of meat. Enter or exit a shoulder and it was shooter error, and nothing else. 90% of the elk we take is for the meat. We have done our homework.

Jeff

+1

If a shot is well placed, with a well made bullet there is almost no meat loss. My preference is the bonded core bullets (Preferably the Accubond) because of there performance and consistency at different velocities and ranges.

Low percentage shots are not recommended because you may loose the entire animal.

J E CUSTOM

Hey sorry to revive this dead thead, but has any progress been made on the testing of the 358 cal Hammers? I've been looking on the website for them periodically, but have not seen any yet. Might be planning an elk hunt for next year and would love to give them a try in my rifle before I go.

I just loaded them on the web site this morning. The 220g with the 2mm hollow point has shown to work reliably down to 1800fps impacts.

Funny that I literally loaded the item on the web site and this thread popped up as I was drinking coffee and reading.

Steve

I'll add to that that we have a Christmas promo coupon going for 10% off. Use code forum16 at check out. This is also good for gift certificates that can be used for anything from bullets to full custom rifles.

Steve

As Brosvsaid; speed is the first factor, then placement.
Aimbto exit behind the opposite should, just like when using a bow, and you will have optimum performance and minimum damage.
If you can, use the heaviest bullet for caliber and that shoul bring it into a more ,"meat friendly" speed.

As Brosvsaid; speed is the first factor, then placement.
Aimbto exit behind the opposite should, just like when using a bow, and you will have optimum performance and minimum damage.
If you can, use the heaviest bullet for caliber and that shoul bring it into a more ,"meat friendly" speed.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ lightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts