Shot placement rules .

Ohlongarm

I visit many forums online about varmint and predator hunting and it seems you have the same old same old who say a coyote needs at least a 6mm to take em down.I take 75%of mine out to 200 yards,with the 22 Hornet,out to 110 ,22 velocitors,and beyond 200 my 204 which accounts for 20%,and maybe 5% with the shotgun.Now I practice regularly ,and I take a very fair share of coyotes,99% killed clean.Just today at 110 yards,a cakewalk I took this big male high forehead,dead center,pics are graphic,but anytime you kill a living creature it can be.Never have I seen a 22 hornet travel such a long way along the spine of the coyote and then exit,the stick shows where bullet entered,3/4 down his spine you'll see an exit,one never knows when hunting.Practice regular,know where your equipment shoots,and you'll do well,another added to this weeks take,6 in 7 days.First pic,the weeks haul today included,six.pic 2 dead center forehead,pic 3 not tiny blood smear,high forehead,bullet impact,pic 4 bullet exit?weird,closeup entry,dead center,pic 6 perfect spacing left to right,pic 7 different angle bullet entry. w1.jpgw2.jpgw3.jpgw4.jpgw4.jpgw5.jpgw6.jpgw7.jpg

You take a lot of dogs, same area and they keep coming in or do you move around ?

You take a lot of dogs, same area and they keep coming in or do you move around ?
I live in the confines of 22000 acres,coyotes are endless,I'm pretty fair at calling,and, I bait also,never a shortage,yotes are my passion.Besides every one down means another fawn,turkey,rabbit,grouse may reach maturity.I do hunt other areas in Ohio,and near me,but this place is unbelievable,the river funnels coyotes along it for miles.THX

I guess they are more spread out around here in the So Cal area, mostly desert. I have the best luck hunting around the edges of the city as coyotes get water and food(pets) there. Golf course has a ton of water and rabbits. no baiting here.

I don't like head shots it's just me I've seen enough graphic gore in my life time so I go for heart and lung shots with a 223 loaded with Sierra 55 HPBT's not very many exit holes and the mush pretty much stays inside . Dead is dead it's just a matter of how messy it gets .

I don't like head shots it's just me I've seen enough graphic gore in my life time so I go for heart and lung shots with a 223 loaded with Sierra 55 HPBT's not very many exit holes and the mush pretty much stays inside . Dead is dead it's just a matter of how messy it gets .
I've seen my share also,am in LE,however when you take dozens of coyotes in a year and use a 22 on many of those taken,a head shot is what works best. On my lowly 22 I have a 4X16 weaver Grand slam,at 100 yards with a 22 that's a snap.Not all is blood and gore check out this picture.This big male was taken this winter,head between eyes 75 yards,first picture no gore,wanting to see if I was on target,took a razor to him,note tiny hole from 22 CCi Velocitor,DRT.
hs.jpg
hs1.jpg

Where I hunt, Coyotes are few and far between because of the ranchers. (They kill everyone they see). We try calling with some success, but they are wary of any call.

Most of the time we see them while hunting deer and turkey, so we use whats available at the time.
Big or little cartridges doesn't matter as long as you can produce quick kills in my opinion. I am always happy when I see one and I am hunting with my 7/08, but have taken coyotes with a 17 HMR, 22 Mag, 223 Rem, 6.5, 6.8. 708, 7 Rem mag,300 RUM, 338 RCM and a 3.5" 12 gauge and the out come was the same (Dead) so I don't think cartridge size matters that much, if you place the shot accordingly.

If you hunt for pelts it's a different story and there is a preferred caliber, bullet and shot placement needed to bring down a coyote and still not do any/much damage to the pelt.

J E CUSTOM

I did predator control for over 30 years and have taken coyote with a lot of different rifles as well as 12 gauge from choppers . It's all fun I have used a 22 lr a few times but that was usually my trap or snare gun as I never knew if I would have to take a longer shot . I got paid per coyote so didn't want many to get educated and cause me to have to work harder for my pay . I have an old H&R 9 shot revolver that has killed 100's of coyote in traps or snares . Before I retired I was using a S&W mp chambered in 40 s&w for my calling gun . I never did find what I liked for expansion on the bullets . I ended up running some reloaded HST's . I built a 6.5x284 so I could kill one out at 1000 never got that shot so gave it to my predecessor he got a good deal 2500.00 worth of rifle just because he was good enough at killing coyote to take over for me . When I first started out on a couple of ranches I had to snipe a few that had been well trained . The farthest was 643 yards with a 30-06 Winchester model 70 using 150 gr. hand loaded ammo . It started as a ranch model . the stock cracked on the bottom ' as was common for that style of them my wife bought it new for me in 1976 . I took it in and had a Mc Millen stock and Jewel trigger installed pillar bedded and a good Redfield 4-12 scope mounted on it . Back then I didn't know much more then that rifles were supposed to make a loud noise and things die from the front end of them just kidding . But I have learned a lot since then .

Where I hunt, Coyotes are few and far between because of the ranchers. (They kill everyone they see). We try calling with some success, but they are wary of any call.

Most of the time we see them while hunting deer and turkey, so we use whats available at the time.
Big or little cartridges doesn't matter as long as you can produce quick kills in my opinion. I am always happy when I see one and I am hunting with my 7/08, but have taken coyotes with a 17 HMR, 22 Mag, 223 Rem, 6.5, 6.8. 708, 7 Rem mag,300 RUM, 338 RCM and a 3.5" 12 gauge and the out come was the same (Dead) so I don't think cartridge size matters that much, if you place the shot accordingly.

If you hunt for pelts it's a different story and there is a preferred caliber, bullet and shot placement needed to bring down a coyote and still not do any/much damage to the pelt.

J E CUSTOM
I totally agree,love the 22 hornet,never lets me down,neither does the Tikka T1x 22,and the 204 is also a winner. my secret practice often,know where rifle shoots at ranges encountered run all ammo through a ballistics program even the 22 and you can stack em up.

I did predator control for over 30 years and have taken coyote with a lot of different rifles as well as 12 gauge from choppers . It's all fun I have used a 22 lr a few times but that was usually my trap or snare gun as I never knew if I would have to take a longer shot . I got paid per coyote so didn't want many to get educated and cause me to have to work harder for my pay . I have an old H&R 9 shot revolver that has killed 100's of coyote in traps or snares . Before I retired I was using a S&W mp chambered in 40 s&w for my calling gun . I never did find what I liked for expansion on the bullets . I ended up running some reloaded HST's . I built a 6.5x284 so I could kill one out at 1000 never got that shot so gave it to my predecessor he got a good deal 2500.00 worth of rifle just because he was good enough at killing coyote to take over for me . When I first started out on a couple of ranches I had to snipe a few that had been well trained . The farthest was 643 yards with a 30-06 Winchester model 70 using 150 gr. hand loaded ammo . It started as a ranch model . the stock cracked on the bottom ' as was common for that style of them my wife bought it new for me in 1976 . I took it in and had a Mc Millen stock and Jewel trigger installed pillar bedded and a good Redfield 4-12 scope mounted on it . Back then I didn't know much more then that rifles were supposed to make a loud noise and things die from the front end of them just kidding . But I have learned a lot since then .
Good deal,if I had the time it would be endless here getting nuisance coyotes ,I'm also pretty fair at trapping if I have to be.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.