Shot Placement/POI question

Not for me. I've always placed it just behind the front shoulder on deer and haven't had a problem with 5 deer since switching to monos. Never been into blowing up the shoulder…

Same here....behind the shoulder!

However, the mono's give you the opportunity to take out the opposite shoulder from the near-side flank.....typical cup and core don't offer that option! 😉 Well, maybe on deer but not recommended for the big stuff! memtb

I've put it in the neck for many years if they're 200 or closer. Beyond that I always put em right behind the shoulder at square broadside. All so
1. I don't wound one and
2. I don't wreck a bunch of meat.

I'm working on load development with hammers now. They have a reputation for not ruining meat. I suspect I'll still place em the same but I'll decide when a punch a shoulder and see the damage. The high shoulder might become the spot for me.

I had to do a real long track job on a 6 pt bull that I shot in the neck,bedded,40 yrds.340, 225 part.Almost lost track of him in a herd,then he went way up the mountain.Missed spine and juglar.You could have put a #4 rebar threw hole.Same thing on my biggest muley,325 wsm tsx,50 yrd.All day track,when side hill I jogged.Shot him at bottom and went all way to top,where I had been in morning.Gone at 4am out at midnight.I dont take that shot anymore.

I aim 1-2" above center of the chest,tight up against the shoulder.Sends shock to the spine usually breaks the large thoracic artery and drops them on the spot everytime.Notice the two little strips of meat right below the spine and the big white artery.You see damage to them,you got your drop on the spot shot and blood everywhere too.Used a 7mag,150gr Nosler Ballistic Tip,mv 3100fps.
IMG_0167.JPG
IMG_0166.JPG
IMG_0168.JPG

Last edited:
I aim 1-2" above center of the chest,tight up against the shoulder.Sends shock to the spine usually breaks the large thoracic artery and drops them on the spot everytime.Notice the two little strips of meat right below the spine and the big white artery.You see damage to them,you got your drop on the spot shot and blood everywhere too.View attachment 303985View attachment 303986View attachment 303987
I normally aim about two inches lower. But for some reason my last two shots kneeling have hit in that exact spot. And like you said DRT.

The "advantage" of monos is that they typically open to a lesser frontal area so they penetrate like crazy and destroy relatively less meat. This gives you more options but like memtb said but also the animal might react differently. IME CNS shots are best (neck, spine) while lung shots although quite possibly fatal will result in less reaction of the animal like a smaller caliber would. Plan accordingly!