Shot placement on big Eastern groundhogs.

Nice shooting you spanked my numbers this year I tallied 54! I'm from western pa and I shoot em with a 22-250 and 22 hornet and even the hornet launching a 40 vmax at 3000 won't anchor them if you make a less than ideal shot. They are seriously tough little critters. Here's a few pics from my season this year.View attachment 409494View attachment 409495
Geeez. Those are huge! I see your playin' "pile-a-chuck". Nice.

Some great photos, there, gentlemen! I just moved to SE Ohio this summer (between Athens and Pomeroy) and need to find some good hunting grounds next spring.

Those things are big! Nice shooting.

Ours here in Colorado (we call em rockchucks) are a little smaller. We got an infestation on our ranch 6 or 7 years ago and they've been tearing the hell out of the fields and digging under the buildings. .223 just has too much boom for the neigborhood so a while back I got a 17 WSM. It's surpisingly accurate and has been super deadly. Just can't find ammo for it now so I've been thinking of a little centerfire. 17 hornet is the next step up but i3 cant find ammo or brass for that either. So i guess its going to be a 17 fireball or downloaded 20 practical- just something quiet and zippy i can make out of .223 brass. One of those wildcats -badger or garin, based on a 30 carbine but in 17 or 20 cal may work well too.
You should try the 204 ruger, go to Colorado on dog hunts great cal, also drops coyote in its tracks, 400 yards is about the max range

Shot those critters with a bow, 22 pistol, 22-250, 30-06. I just liked the challenge of being able to take one out and used whatever the terrain would allow. They are pretty crafty and will disappear in the hole in a flash. I actually managed on one occasion only to sneak up behind one and shoot him in the back of the head with a 22 revolver. And yes I have eaten groundhogs and if cooked probably they are quite tasty. I would offer pictures but I would have to go through some very old photo albums to find them. Don't never see them around my home turf here in Nothwest Alabama anymore.

I've never been a big fan of small caliber bullets for WV groundhogs. JD Jones gave me a .20 Tactical to test. The tiny bullets were affected by the wind, grass, rain. My main guns now are a .223 Contender and a .22-250 XP-R 100 handgun (I don't own any rifles). I've taken so many groundhogs in WV (over 14,000) that I'm now going to ID for rockchucks (1350+). I've used handguns from the .223 up to .416 Taylor. I've found the 40/45 gr. BTs are all that's needed in my handguns in both states. Kills out to 500 yds. are not a problem.
Here's a pic (if I get it posted) of the first days hunt in ID IN THE RAIN. It's 32 of 64 chucks I killed in the morning with my .223 Contender.
The second pic is of my lifetime total of groundhogs & rockchucks combined (since they're about the same animal) with my .22-250 XP-R. This year it was 226 WV groundhogs and 479 ID chucks.
I haven't shot any animals with a rifle since 1978 in lower 48, AK, and Africa.+

Attachments

• DSC01524.JPG
    DSC01524.JPG
    509.2 KB · Views: 96
  • DSC01539.JPG
    DSC01539.JPG
    465.5 KB · Views: 101
Those things are big! Nice shooting.

Ours here in Colorado (we call em rockchucks) are a little smaller. We got an infestation on our ranch 6 or 7 years ago and they've been tearing the hell out of the fields and digging under the buildings. .223 just has too much boom for the neigborhood so a while back I got a 17 WSM. It's surpisingly accurate and has been super deadly. Just can't find ammo for it now so I've been thinking of a little centerfire. 17 hornet is the next step up but i3 cant find ammo or brass for that either. So i guess its going to be a 17 fireball or downloaded 20 practical- just something quiet and zippy i can make out of .223 brass. One of those wildcats -badger or garin, based on a 30 carbine but in 17 or 20 cal may work well too.
I'm in southern AZ and would love to make a trip to help rid you of those pesky PD's if you have enough for three of us to keep really busy. Last June drove to SE corner of CO. and only a few hundred. Had a ball but not sure the motel and only few expensive places to eat was worth the trip. So now looking for anywhere we can shoot all day for three days or so!
As far as shooting goes, I was shooting over 215 yards with my Savage .17 HMR with Bull Barrel. Now I just got a new CZ 457 Varmint. Shooting it with grandkids with Shioloutte Pigs (6X8 inch) at 235 yards. I find the CCI ammo brand will grouped differently. I also have used my CZ457 .22 Cal for the same range. The $20 box of S&K, and Lapula is great. But lately I found the Norma shoot just as good and half price and less than the above!
So if I/We can come up and rid/eradicate them, my phone is 520-678-0041, as I don't see a way to PM you.

Last edited:
Nice.
I grew up and live in deep Southern Illinois where we also have some rather large groundhogs. The most remarkable kill I ever had was in 1971. The hog had just crawled up on top of his mound and was, as you said, in the feeding position, (tough shots even at 100 yds.). My first kill with this Win Model 94 Classic 30-30 after returning home from Navy. I never actually hit him (100yds). He never moved for a long time and I didn't think I even came close. As I approached his mound still no movement. When I rolled him over there was a trench where the 150gr HP went under him. I don't know if it broke his neck or what, but no blood, no entry hole, nothing. Strangest shot I ever had.
Winchester Model 94 Clasic 30-30 (8x3).jpg

Nice.
I grew up and live in deep Southern Illinois where we also have some rather large groundhogs. The most remarkable kill I ever had was in 1971. The hog had just crawled up on top of his mound and was, as you said, in the feeding position, (tough shots even at 100 yds.). My first kill with this Win Model 94 Classic 30-30 after returning home from Navy. I never actually hit him (100yds). He never moved for a long time and I didn't think I even came close. As I approached his mound still no movement. When I rolled him over there was a trench where the 150gr HP went under him. I don't know if it broke his neck or what, but no blood, no entry hole, nothing. Strangest shot I ever had. View attachment 409520
If no blood, maybe you just scared him to death! LOL I'm from Mt. Vernon, Left there in 1960 and have been in AZ since. Still come back every now and then.

I'm a relative newcomer to the 17 hornet, only ammo or components available when I bought the gun were 15.5 ntx loads and pills. Found a single box of 20s with some dust in then the other day and haven't shot them yet. I'm curios for those that have lots of kills with the 17 hornet. Whats your favorite bullet? I've ordered some varmint nightmare noslers and want to order some 25s and maybe some mono bullets eventually. But if it's not needed, I'd happily divert to a specific bullet if wisdom and experience necessitates...
By far my favorite ammo to date with the 17 hornet is the 25hp from Hornady that are now discontinued. You can still find them in packs of 500 on midway here and there. I use 10.6 grains of H4198 and CCI 400 primers, standard seating depth per load found in Hornady reloading manual which I don't remember without looking and I'm not home to do that…. But anyways I've crushed a lot of coyotes and fox with that load out to 300 yards with awesome drt results. I had one that splashed on a yote though, hit the shoulder and left a softball size hole in the pelt, dog was down but it took another round to the vitals to finish it so shot placement is definitely key on the bigger critters. Gun used is a savage 25 walking varminter, 24" barrel…

Big Eastern ground hogs… I've killed a few. Been hunting/shooting them since the 1970s. From what I can remember, I've killed them with a 22 long rifle, 22wmr, 17 hmr, 20 gauge, 12 gauge, .222, 223ai, 22-250, 220 Swift, .243, 6mmai,
240 Weatherby, 257 Weatherby, 7mm STW and probably a couple others.
Mostly using the Swift, 22-250, 223ai these days. I must admit to liking to hit 'em hard! I like to see a little carnage at the target.
Me and my father always had a friendly rule - if you hit them and they crawl into a hole so as you can't retrieve them, than that counts as a miss!

BE9F8E95-98E6-4C9A-A927-910BFCF85A2A.jpeg
CB31ED95-0870-4F1E-98E7-FDC16ECE85CC.png
4EFA4745-A014-4810-AADE-AE4F7447B842.jpeg
AFF5370D-26E1-4414-93F5-ECC63B8AE939.jpeg

Nice shooting you spanked my numbers this year I tallied 54! I'm from western pa and I shoot em with a 22-250 and 22 hornet and even the hornet launching a 40 vmax at 3000 won't anchor them if you make a less than ideal shot. They are seriously tough little critters. Here's a few pics from my season this year.View attachment 409494View attachment 409495
Nice piece of lumber on that Cooper!

Nice
Loved hunting Chucks up in NE PA. Started hunting them with my friend's 308 deer rifle around 1970. Alot of Chuck Hunting changed over the years, There wasn't much if any interest in chuck hunting except from the farmers. In the 80's there were a few guys that wanted some more hunting rather than the short Deer season and small game in PA. The 22.250 came out as King and getting someone to build in a heavy Barrel. Remington 40XBR was the shooter and getting out to 500yds you were considered a King Chuck hunter.
In 2004 Ruger came out with the .204 Ruger. A 222 Mag with a 32 or 40 gr Hornady bullet the 32 gr could get 4,200 fps. Ruger sold a Mark II Target Grey with a 26" heavy barrel. I bought one of the first off the line. When I went to PA to shoot with the old timers that all shot 22.250 or 6mm Rem thought that the bullet and cartridge was too small. Once I started hitting chucks out to 500yrd they still were not convinced. It was like a Laser and good in the wind. I did change to the 39gr SBK. . Well every visit I would shoot and hit the long shots. Then would miss the less than 100 yard shots. I also brought my Volquatsen17HMR and then was told that it may be illegal due to semi auto so I never shot it. Heck was shooting squirrels at 200 out of trees here in GA.
Anyway the .204 Ruger was claiming high kills and with the SBK 39 gr. was devastating on chucks and Yotes. Hugh front SPLASH . Would destroy the chuck.
One of my last visits before my mom passed I took my custom built .260 with a Bartlein 26, 1:8 5R put into an AX AICS Chassis.
l WAS GETTIN <1/4" MOA. started shooting chucks out past 3-4 farmers fields 1.000yds ++. Also had a Vortex Razor 7x27-56. That was some good shooting over the 22.250
TRULEY MISS THOSE DAYS AND THE FRIENDSHIP WITH FELLOW SHOOTERS AND THE OWNERS OF THE FARMS. Saw then go from being broke 365 and then getting a NG Lease or Well on their property. Story of Poor to RICH. Was extremely happy for all of them.
Getting back to the post.
Go with a .204 Ruger!!!!
I have one but it has it's place if needed, a skilled shooter can drop a coyote drt at 300 yards a poke, an any small game.At 300 yards the 17 hornet hits as hard as a CCI 22 Velocitor does at the muzzle 200 ft pounds. plenty for gh's or coyotes, IF you can shoot. About 8 inches of drop, dependent on sight in range, next year with my suppressed rifles and mirror blinds it will be a gh's worst nightmare.