Shot placement on bear

Maybe the old tube feed's the way to go after all. The new one's have a faster twist, but we never had trouble with 300 grain bullets. The 270's probably best all round for here.

Black bears of almost any size are relatively easy to kill. I have taken many of them and prefer a double lung shot with the 45-70. An expanding JSP works fine. The Speer 400gr FN has become one of my favorites for this application. I've also used hardcast lead and Barnes X bullets but the big Speer JFN works better and is easy to find. Bears either drop to the shot or run 30-40yds. I always get an exit wound.

I'm just planning my first grizzly hunt and will be using a 375 Ruger. I have several boxes of 300gr Partitions and may try some 270gr X bullets if they can be found. I'd rather be over-gunned if there is such a thing. It seems that the conventional wisdom is to break both shoulders if possible on the big bears. Blacks are a totally different story IMO.

An Alaskan guide with 50+ years hunting experience, 27 years guiding, who states "I have taken or assisted in the taking of over 400 black bear and around 125 brown/grizzly bear over the years.", provides his advice in this Thread:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f88/bear-point-aim-38898/

If you've hunted for any length of time, you'll be able to tell he talks from experience, with very matter of fact advice being given.

A good picture, think 3d and move things around a little. Where I see folks getting in trouble is that upper leg bone on a big bear. It can depending on activity and position cover a lot of vital.

Sometimes "behind the shoulder" can mean breaking that bone. That bicep may be 8" in diameter, in the fall there may be an 8" layer of fat between there and vital tissue.

If you walk it through it may go something like this, hair, hide, muscle, bone, muscle hide, hair now we are just at the chest which can mean, hair, hide, rib, 8" of fat.

Here's where archery guys do a better job of knowing their limits, and wait for that leg to move forward.

Essentially 16" of penetration to get to anything of consequence. Yes, I am talking Black Bear.

Smaller bear can be blown through readily, spring bear, are thinner, but the mature bears have a layer of carry over fat usually.

My experience is even "behind the shoulder" can be a tough nut to crack.

I hope the following helps you.

bear-target.jpg

_Bear_Shot_Placement_big_one-510x630.jpg

Bear_leg_bone_placment-510x210.jpg

Bear_Anatomy1.jpg
How to tell a young bear from a mature bear by thier head

Bear Bullet Placement- Bear Bullet Placement

images

I would highly recommend the book -The Perfect Shot, North America: Shot Placement for North American Big Game
1571572678.jpg

It is a must for all new hunters!- The Perfect Shot, North America: Shot Placement for North American Big Game: Craig Boddington: 9781571572677: Amazon.com: Books and the mini version - The Perfect Shot, Mini-Edition North America

For black bear that are run with dogs, which they do here in the mountains of TN & NC, most dog owners want you to shoot a bear in the HEAD. The old leaver action 30-30 Winchester or 35 Remington is really popular because they are light and easy to carry and pack enough punch for any black bear. The reason they want you to head shoot a bear is to kill it out right so it does not hurt or kill one of the dogs. A wounded bear can really cost you money in dead and hurt dogs. A friend of mine had his dogs on a bear and as is the problem of hunting on public land the bear ran by some fellow that was not with the hunting party and he shot at the bear as it was running and hit it in the guts. It slowed up the bear and the dogs caught up and the bear killed one dog and hurt some others. The bear then crawled into a rock ledge like little cave. The dogs were all around and trying to go in a then backing out barking. My friend went up thinking that the bear was dead and was gathering up the dogs when all of a sudden here comes the bear charging out of the cave. Just on reaction my friend draws his Glock 40 cal. that is his everyday carry pistol as fast as Matt Dillon and shoots hitting the bear in the left eye with a 180 gr Hornady XTP that blew out the back of it's head from abut 5 feet that drops the bear in it's tracks dead. If he had not been so lucky as to hit that bear like that it would have really messed him up if not killed him. It's weight was almost 500 pounds.

I'm very strongly in the big tough bullet at a good velocity close range. Fragile bullets are a guessing game on bear. I've never lost a bear when shooting X and TSX bullets. But then I always use 338 and up for bear hunting. And have only shot brown bear with 416s and 458s . But that is what I hunt deer with also. . I don't track wounded bears because I don't wound them. I dump them where they stand.
Small black bears are usually not as hard to kill as brown bearare . But regardless a tough expanding bullet that can take out the heart from ANY ANGLE is what you want for bear hunting.

I must agree, 375 H&H or 12 gauge magnum slug.

For black bear that are run with dogs, which they do here in the mountains of TN & NC, most dog owners want you to shoot a bear in the HEAD. The old leaver action 30-30 Winchester or 35 Remington is really popular because they are light and easy to carry and pack enough punch for any black bear. The reason they want you to head shoot a bear is to kill it out right so it does not hurt or kill one of the dogs. A wounded bear can really cost you money in dead and hurt dogs. A friend of mine had his dogs on a bear and as is the problem of hunting on public land the bear ran by some fellow that was not with the hunting party and he shot at the bear as it was running and hit it in the guts. It slowed up the bear and the dogs caught up and the bear killed one dog and hurt some others. The bear then crawled into a rock ledge like little cave. The dogs were all around and trying to go in a then backing out barking. My friend went up thinking that the bear was dead and was gathering up the dogs when all of a sudden here comes the bear charging out of the cave. Just on reaction my friend draws his Glock 40 cal. that is his everyday carry pistol as fast as Matt Dillon and shoots hitting the bear in the left eye with a 180 gr Hornady XTP that blew out the back of it's head from abut 5 feet that drops the bear in it's tracks dead. If he had not been so lucky as to hit that bear like that it would have really messed him up if not killed him. It's weight was almost 500 pounds.

I think head shot is a ******** shot. I got a big 440 lb bear with a slug right between his eyes. And he was still running. They have a hollow spot front odf the brain and head shot will most likely not kill them. I have a proof, PM me for a photos of
bear with a thumb size hole in his forehead.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.