Shot group question

@ Riverguy,.
Carbon Fiber barrels are Light weight but, have only, a little Steel tubing, wrapped with, Carbon Fiber.
NICE to Carry, but NOT, "fabulous" accuracy at, Long Range.
You won't see, ANY of these Barrels "Competing" at 600 or, 1,000 Yards for, a "reason" !
NOR thin, lite weight, Mountain Rifle barrels, either !
We "accuracy test" our loads at, 200 and 300 yards first then, take the rifle's out, further.
Might try, 3 shot groups at, 600 ?
IF, nothing else, the smaller groups will make you "Feel",.. better ! LOL !

Last edited:
I just worked up a load in my 28 nos for the 180 VLD in a proven tack driver. I was really trying to push them hard. 3190 FPS. Kept getting legit groups and then a random flyer. I dropped the charge and came down to 3130FPS. All it took and the groups just stack now. Try a different, probably lower pressure/velocity node.

1moa at 100 doesnt mean you will shoot 1moa at 1000 or even 700. Elevation is the easy part. Wind is tricky as already said. If your holding a good waterline then it may be changing breeze that youre not noticing. If your vertical stringing and everything checks out with the rifle you need to adjust your load.

Go through the rifle,as stated above check bedding, wind flags etc.
Mark the brass that are a flyer, sort bullets - check base to ogive. Sounds like to me could be on the ragged edge of powder or seating depth node, a ladder may be warranted with powder and seating depth.
Alot of times if I'm fighting what I call a 2 and then flyer I switch a primer and then a powder.

It's consistently 1/2 inch at 100 except that 1 flyer. The barrel is cooled between shots. I know what you mean about lots of practicing.
It may have already been stated but what shot is the flyer in a 3 shot group? 1,2 or 3? Is it the same number shot every time?

I also have a "shot group question". I have a Fierce 7-08 Edge. They have it shot in with factory loads (120gr Barnes TTSX). The target they supplied shows 1 shot and then 2 shots over lapping each other 1/2" low and to the right of the first shot. I have shot the exact
same group as the target supplied 5-6 times. That first shot is always 1/2" different from the other 2. Any ideas?
Try shooting a longer string. See where shots 4,5, and 6 go.

Do you think switching bullets or messing with seating depth will help?
I reload lots of Barnes TTSX. Generally they shoot very well with a long jump.(factory). However, when I hand load, they shoot better (more consistent) with a shorter jump (usually between.030-.040 jump). Good luck.

It's consistently 1/2 inch at 100 except that 1 flyer. The barrel is cooled between shots. I know what you mean about lots of practicing.
I have 3 3 0f these 30 nolers and by fierce ones a carbon edge and the othe one is steel barrel and the guy that loads for me had the same problem until I started trying deferent loads and I ending up using 195 tip match king with 85.5 hrs. of retumbo powder

At 700 Yards, a 1 or, 2 MPH "Wind" can cause "problems" and open, the group, up !
A very light Wind, is barely noticeable,.. sometimes !
My 1/2 MOA, .270 WSM, becomes, almost ONE,.. MOA at, 700 yards, in our Desert, shooting spot !
Ditto for my sons, 7mm-08 with, 168 HVLD, Berger's.
And a thin, lite weight, hunting Barrel,.. CAN,.. "Walk" a bit, when shooting 5 shot, Groups !
Personally, we are going to shoot, 500 and 600 yards, to test our Loads / Rifles from, now on.
Our Limit, on shooting our 7.5 Pound Mtn Rifles at Game, has SHRUNK,.. to 650 yds Max. ( Wind dependent of, course ! ).
Shooting test groups at 500-600yd/M is really the best way to do load development. when I load for others I always shoot ladder test in pairs and call all bad shots. By shooting in pairs it allows a more accurate representation of identifying nodes.
just my 2c.

Recent Posts