Shot group question

Riverguy

I have a fierce 28 nosler carbon fury. Using 168 gr vld Berger bullets with adg brass and h1000. I have a guy that is good at working up accurate loads and he has great numbers for this load/rifle and the barrel has been broken in well, over a hundred rounds through it. Both he and i have shot several groups at 700 yards and can hold groups to a half minute. But there always seems to be one and sometimes 2 shots that open the group to 7 or 8 inches. He is going to try upping and lowering the charge by 2 tenths of a grain. Is there anything else we should be trying? What would you do?

I also have a "shot group question". I have a Fierce 7-08 Edge. They have it shot in with factory loads (120gr Barnes TTSX). The target they supplied shows 1 shot and then 2 shots over lapping each other 1/2" low and to the right of the first shot. I have shot the exact same group as the target supplied 5-6 times. That first shot is always 1/2" different from the other 2. Any ideas?

I have a fierce 28 nosler carbon fury. Using 168 gr vld Berger bullets with adg brass and h1000. I have a guy that is good at working up accurate loads and he has great numbers for this load/rifle and the barrel has been broken in well, over a hundred rounds through it. Both he and i have shot several groups at 700 yards and can hold groups to a half minute. But there always seems to be one and sometimes 2 shots that open the group to 7 or 8 inches. He is going to try upping and lowering the charge by 2 tenths of a grain. Is there anything else we should be trying? What would you do?
These issues can be real interesting to trouble-shoot. :( For me, I went through everything until I noticed a cracked scope base.

Do you think switching bullets or messing with seating depth will help?
Probably not. I've noticed improvements with a chassis stock so maybe a high end stock would help but keep in mind that if you're 1" at 100, theory says your 10" at 1000 so for hunting purposes I'd spend the money on practice

Probably not. I've noticed improvements with a chassis stock so maybe a high end stock would help but keep in mind that if you're 1" at 100, theory says your 10" at 1000 so for hunting purposes I'd spend the money on practice
My experience with Fierce (Fury model) gave me the impression they cut corners on the stock. Mine shot really tight after we bedded and beefed up the stock a little.

It's consistently 1/2 inch at 100 except that 1 flyer. The barrel is cooled between shots. I know what you mean about lots of practicing.

Its like it needs a "warm" up shot to get going. Its a light barrel so after 3 shots, she starts getting warm.
Didn't know if I should split the sight in between the shots or use the first shot since I will be at cold bore when hunting.
I'll check all the screws tonight.

At 700 Yards, a 1 or, 2 MPH "Wind" can cause "problems" and open, the group, up !
A very light Wind, is barely noticeable,.. sometimes !
My 1/2 MOA, .270 WSM, becomes, almost ONE,.. MOA at, 700 yards, in our Desert, shooting spot !
Ditto for my sons, 7mm-08 with, 168 HVLD, Berger's.
And a thin, lite weight, hunting Barrel,.. CAN,.. "Walk" a bit, when shooting 5 shot, Groups !
Personally, we are going to shoot, 500 and 600 yards, to test our Loads / Rifles from, now on.
Our Limit, on shooting our 7.5 Pound Mtn Rifles at Game, has SHRUNK,.. to 650 yds Max. ( Wind dependent of, course ! ).

Last edited: