Shot Distance For Bighorns

M7P+2RheRIGH2sCaqgmWig.jpg
z7nL2jXEQm+Ma9BUVbR+RQ.jpg
866V3u0yR2yWGm8xa5ylkA.jpg

So...kind of reads like it's a bino show....as close as you need to get to allow your field judgement to persuade you to take the animal....
I wouldn't set myself up for a bad shot at any distance...
And most of these guys are shooting fairly accurate rounds...
Be your own best/worst advocate.....if it doesn't feel good...dont shoot....
I think the thing though is that since the initial spot is often from so far away, a spotting scope is important to allow initial spotting, and judgement to see if it's worth dedicating a large part of the day in order to get to a range where a final decision can be made.

I've shot 2 bighorn rams at around 100 and 200 yards. A bighorn ewe with bow at 38 yards. 2 dall sheep rams at 100 and 45 yards. Patience is a virtue when it comes to sheep hunting. There was never a doubt in my mind that the rams were hitting the turf when I pulled the trigger at fairly close ram. The fun part of all my sheep hunts have been getting in close and personal!

My bighorn was at 417 yards. I don't think I could have gotten much closer. I shot a bunch in preparation for the hunt, so I was pretty confident quite a bit further out.

edit - Oops! I missed that I had already responded to this thread. Glad I got the distances the same in both posts. 😀

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.