Shot 300 gr Bergers at 983 yards..C foto

kellyzier

Shot the Bergers today with my 338 edge to 983 yards........

I first shot at 675 yards to validate my trajectory and my guess at 2800 fps was right on the money. I shot a 3 shot 5 inch group, not too impressive, but given the wind, it was impressive. The Mirrage was so heavy today (100 degrees on the Kestrel) I could barely see my brite white target at 22 power. I had to tune down the power to see the target.

After validation we took the Edge out to 983 yards....Mirrage again was all over the place from 10 mph to 5 mph to nill. The wind was all over the place as well from 9pm to 3pm and all the way back around to 6 pm with lift and then back to nil again.

Generally at this spot the wind is fairly constant and steady, but this was a very non typical day. Given the wind and mirrage conditions, I was very impressed with the new Berger 300 gr.

Here are the results, along with a foto of the target..................

My first three shots, I painted a 5 inch (1/2 moa) 3 shot group. See the three circled bullets in the lower right hand corner.

The top center group was about a 5 inch (1/2 moa) 5 shot group shot by my 15 yr old son and my 10 yr old with me doping the wind. Two of my 15 yr old sons shots were high in this group cause he left the shells in the sun and they were hotter than a fire cracker. We put them in the shade and shot a few more and the bullets landed just about dead center ( a few inches lower).

The other two (lower) stray shots (splats) were shot by my 13 yr old son.

Next time I will take the berger out to 1,450 and 1,600 yards. See foto below...

9605missionpics012.jpg

Load....
300 berger
338 edge
2,800 fps
.010 off the lands
91 grs H1000
CCI 250 LRM primers

zman

Last edited:
zman,

Those kids and you have gotta be pumped!! Talk about a confidence builder!

Way to go Dad!!!!

Last Tuesday I took my 338 RUM and Berger Hybrids to the hills to confirm the drop chart run from JBM. Took a young fella with that wants to be a LRHr. He did the shooting. The poor kid is hooked!!!

Sorry no pics as we were shooting at objects on yonder mountain, a minimum of 2 1/2 hour hike from the shooting spot across the canyon.

With the revised BC value the chart was spot on! one shot at 560, 680, 1003, and 1177 validated the drops. The first shot at each distance, the one at 1003 was the only first shot hit, validated this old man's inability to read the wind coming up the canyon.:rolleyes: By the time we got to the 1177 shot the shooter didn't take my windage call using his own to make the second shot spot on hit. I guess I'll be relegated to packin' and cookin':rolleyes:

This shooting spot is one of my honey holes and it looks like I'll need all the experience I can get.

Rifle: Rem 700 Sporter 338 RUM 9.6 lbs. (The Ugly Stick)
Load:
Berger 300 gr jammed into the rifling so hard it hurts.
Fed 215 primer
102gr H-50 BMG - slight crush
Velocity: 2760 - Maximum pressure w/out extraction/primer pocket problems.
(H-1000 and H-50 BMG have the same accuracy and identical POIs @ 300 yds but BMG has a 60 FPS velocity advantage.

I assume that the Edge has a brake, how about the RUM?

Any thoughts on the felt recoil for those loads?

edge.

Edge,

The RUM has a Holland QD brake.

The fella shooting it that day was shooting a Win 70 Featherweight with 175s @ 2850 and a limbsaver recoil pad. His description was that the Win was noticeably rougher.

My 15 year old, nearly 6' 110 pound grandson shoots it all afternoon prone, 20 rounds or so, without a problem. (The lighter the rifle the more effective the brake)

Edge,

The RUM has a Holland QD brake.

The fella shooting it that day was shooting a Win 70 Featherweight with 175s @ 2850 and a limbsaver recoil pad. His description was that the Win was noticeably rougher.

My 15 year old, nearly 6' 110 pound grandson shoots it all afternoon prone, 20 rounds or so, without a problem. (The lighter the rifle the more effective the brake)

Thanks, I have never shot a rifle with a brake but am looking at those big .338 bullets was wondering if I wanted to "man up" to them without one :)

edge.

zman,

Those kids and you have gotta be pumped!! Talk about a confidence builder!

Way to go Dad!!!!

Last Tuesday I took my 338 RUM and Berger Hybrids to the hills to confirm the drop chart run from JBM. Took a young fella with that wants to be a LRHr. He did the shooting. The poor kid is hooked!!!

Sorry no pics as we were shooting at objects on yonder mountain, a minimum of 2 1/2 hour hike from the shooting spot across the canyon.

With the revised BC value the chart was spot on! one shot at 560, 680, 1003, and 1177 validated the drops. The first shot at each distance, the one at 1003 was the only first shot hit, validated this old man's inability to read the wind coming up the canyon.:rolleyes: By the time we got to the 1177 shot the shooter didn't take my windage call using his own to make the second shot spot on hit. I guess I'll be relegated to packin' and cookin':rolleyes:

This shooting spot is one of my honey holes and it looks like I'll need all the experience I can get.

Rifle: Rem 700 Sporter 338 RUM 9.6 lbs. (The Ugly Stick)
Load:
Berger 300 gr jammed into the rifling so hard it hurts.
Fed 215 primer
102gr H-50 BMG - slight crush
Velocity: 2760 - Maximum pressure w/out extraction/primer pocket problems.
(H-1000 and H-50 BMG have the same accuracy and identical POIs @ 300 yds but BMG has a 60 FPS velocity advantage.

Shawn Carlock suggested an 818 BC with the Berger, along with my guess at 2800 fps, this was right on the money regarding elevation. I really wish to see how this performes at extra long range, but didn't want to do it yesterday in the crazy wind. I would rather try the mile stuff with more typical wind, if there is such a thing.

I do use a break, a HUGE break, but I do so for the kids and I do so cause I want to stack my odds in the accuracy dept.

c ya

Thanks, I have never shot a rifle with a brake but am looking at those big .338 bullets was wondering if I wanted to "man up" to them without one :)

edge.

Don't even wonder!!!!

The brake on mine can be removed easily. I'll see if I can sucker my LTB (Less Than Bright) son-in-law is being the star of the video comparison.:D

zman,

If Shawn says 0.818 and Bryan says 0.819 that's ok by me as my shooting abilities don't reveal the difference between those numbers and 0.820. :D Some day, maybe. I hope!

Don't even wonder!!!!

The brake on mine can be removed easily. I'll see if I can sucker my LTB (Less Than Bright) son-in-law is being the star of the video comparison.:D

zman,

If Shawn says 0.818 and Bryan says 0.819 that's ok by me as my shooting abilities don't reveal the difference between those numbers and 0.820. :D Some day, maybe. I hope!

Yea, I agree....I just like to post the data to keep others in the loop...The berger isn't the BC everyone thought, but it still seems to be a heck of a bullet at lapua and edge speeds. I hope they can get the next bullet to shoot at faster speeds for the snipe tacs and allan mags.

zman

That's some great shooting in spite of the conditions.

EDGE, forget the man up part...take it from an old fart...go with a break and go in comfort:).

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.